Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE Update Year Six
Old 06-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE Update Year Six

Rodi's recent Today marks two years post got me thinking about what we've changed/accomplished since our FIRE in June 2010 at 49/55.

To date we have:

- Spent 14 months traveling the USA in our RV

- Spent 12 months traveling the world by means other than our RV

- Spent 9 months living with our DD, providing mental and physical support both before, during and after the birth of our second grandchild, while dear SIL was deployed overseas. What a gift of time to be able to give that was!

- Pursued learning Spanish, which included a trip to Central America to attend a language immersion school, attending courses locally, joining a local conversational group, and working with a Mexico-based Spanish tutor via Skype.

- Taken a wilderness training course in order to feel better equipped while out in the wild. This resulted in our taking up backpacking, which then led to joining a backpacking club. We have seven trips under our belt to date, with #8 planned for this upcoming August - a week long backpack across Isle Royale National Park.

- Take weekly ten mile+ hikes together, usually during the week, followed by a long lunch. One of my fav retirement activities, hands down.

- Learned to play bridge and now do so on a weekly basis. I know, this sounds very retirement-stereotypical, however DH learned to play bridge as a teen and has been hankering to take it up again for years and years. He's really good, much better than me, and is now getting to be quite in demand as a result.

- Attend a lifelong learning group and have learned more things than I can possibly remember as a result. Shakespeare, history, art, Spanish, current events, literature, music, the list goes on and on. Plus lots and lots of social activities.

- Joined an art alliance group, which includes trips to museums and lectures, plus the occasional fund raising effort/event.

- Joined a wine society, which is a blast! We've attended several socials, volunteered to work in the wine serving area at our county fair, and are now signed up to begin learning to make our own wine at home.

- Attend live theater almost weekly, and are now giving thought to getting involved at our regional theater as volunteers.

- Read more, exercise more, and watch TV less.

The portfolio is up from where it began by roughly 20%, but I can't see anything we might change in our spending, other than a possible move to the coast at some point between now and the next few years. And after six years of slowly building our post-working lives, we feel we are at a point where any new pursuits will need to be balanced out by letting something else go. A good situation I think.

DH was recently approached by his prior employer (after six years!) to return in any capacity up to SVP, for as long as he might wish. As ego stroking as this is, I'm pretty sure he's going to turn it down in that we're hard pressed to determine how any additional $$$ would significantly improve our lives. And at this point, honestly, we can see that time really is our most precious resource, and one that is clearly finite.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds awesome! There is hope for the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 06-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
DH was recently approached by his prior employer (after six years!) to return in any capacity up to SVP, for as long as he might wish. As ego stroking as this is, I'm pretty sure he's going to turn it down in that we're hard pressed to determine how any additional $$$ would significantly improve our lives. And at this point, honestly, we can see that time really is our most precious resource, and one that is clearly finite.
Thanks for the update. Your last sentence and the prior information is so true. We all should place more value on it.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Thanks for the update. Your last sentence and the prior information is so true. We all should place more value on it.
+1 on that - I have absolutely no regrets for choosing time over money when I did.

... and to OP: thanks for the update. You seem to have figured it all out. Congrats!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

Wow........ You sound busy and happy.

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

You have definitely given me some ideas to pursue after I retire in just 13 days. The wilderness training course and hiking trips are in my future.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Congrats! You are doing great!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #7

Congrats! You are doing great!

I am at year 7. i have remarried after losing my wife of 30 years to a DW who shares some of my interests.
We have been on 15 cruises, a total of 45 trips, and now cutting back a little after this intense travel.
I fly for Angel Flight and Pilot & Paws, and just was able to fly a B-25! I also volunteer on a tourist train, and fly for Civil Air Patrol.
Life is good!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Elizabeth...We retired the same month and year. Like you, my accounts have increased significantly and have traveled more (as much as wanted to, anyways).
But that is where the similarity ends...You have chosen to continue use your brain. My brain decided it and body retired together in 2010. It only works anymore to trade stocks, read paper, and provide variety in swear words while golfing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

But what will you do all day? Sheesh. Impressive "work"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #10

That is a wonderful list! Good for you! Thank you for the update (and the inspiration)
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #11

You are my role model.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

FIRE Update Year Six

Very uplifting post Elizabeth. Love much of what you are engaged in. Looks like a retirement full of adventure and stimulating things. Your backpacking trip to Isle Royale will be amazing I'm sure.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of thoughts after my OP, and reading the follow up responses -

It takes time to create a post-work life, and we changed a lot in the first couple of years. Many of the early activities we became involved in turned out to be less interesting/fulfilling than we'd thought, so we set them aside and kept trying things out. Little by little we found the things that resonated, and oftentimes new friendships came right along with, which was instrumental in filling in the midweek social gap left after saying 'goodbye' to co-workers.

The only time we experience boredom is when we stop trying. Meaning, if I sit down to read a book or watch a TV show because that is what I really do want to do in that moment, than all is good. If, however, I flip on the TV, or the computer, because I'm too lazy to do that which I know I really should do, then I can lapse into feeling bored. A subtle, but important difference.

I will say that there are still many, many things we would like to do more of than we do now - dance, bike, garden, road trip in our little convertible - but the shocker of getting older is we can already see we don't have the same level of energy that we did upon first FIRE'ing. Man, do I not like that, but there isn't a thing I can do about it, other than continue to pursue those things we do have the energy to do.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #14

Elizabeth - it's on my list to learn bridge. My parents were avid players when I was growing up - and after my mom passed, my dad joined a bridge group and met my step mom.... He said it was because "these card shark widows are SMART!". He valued intelligence more than any other feature.

How did you go about learning? A book? Online?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Elizabeth - it's on my list to learn bridge. My parents were avid players when I was growing up - and after my mom passed, my dad joined a bridge group and met my step mom.... He said it was because "these card shark widows are SMART!". He valued intelligence more than any other feature.

How did you go about learning? A book? Online?
My DH learned from his mom while a teenager, and I was first introduced to it on a cruise (The cruise line was Cunard. I'm not sure if other lines offer bridge classes.) After returning home, we began attending beginning classes at our lifelong learning center, than discovered they also offered beginning classes at our senior center. We were/are definitely the youngsters in both classes, but those bridge playing seniors are darn smart, so I often feel very, very inadequate. They are all so kind however, since it's a beginning class, that I try to not let my frustration get the best of me. DH has long graduated to the intermediate class. I may never get out of beginning bridge!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think I need to copy your post and stick it on my refrigerator to remind me of all the things we can do when we FIRE =D.

Sounds like you are living a full and happy life, surrounded by friends.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady saver View Post
I think I need to copy your post and stick it on my refrigerator to remind me of all the things we can do when we FIRE =D.

Sounds like you are living a full and happy life, surrounded by friends.
There is so much out there once you start looking. Even after six years we continue to be surprised by new things to do we never knew about. Just yesterday, for example, I discovered two different midweek summer jazz series in nearby cities that have apparently been going on for years. And there is a bevy of volunteer and social interaction opportunities for each one should we feel so inclined.

And don't think we don't have bad days, because of course we do. But that's more a reflection of being human than retired.