Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc and a phone call
Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Firecalc and a phone call

Yet again I was running FireCalc and dreaming about early retirement, except today my dad called while I was running scenarios. He called to tell me my favorite uncle passed today.

My uncle was attending the funeral of another of my uncles. During the service he had a heart attack. He passed away today.

He had a good life and was 87. Our family reunions will just not be the same without the family jokester...I'm sad today.

When 'just one more year' syndrome tries to rear it's ugly head I hope I can rember this day and remember why we don't need more money, we just need more time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Lisa99, condolences. Another reminder to take advantage of the time we have been blessed with.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
My uncle was attending the funeral of another of my uncles. During the service he had a heart attack. He passed away today.

He had a good life and was 87. Our family reunions will just not be the same without the family jokester...I'm sad today.

When 'just one more year' syndrome tries to rear it's ugly head I hope I can rember this day and remember why we don't need more money, we just need more time.
Sorry for your loss, Lisa. My grandpa -- my dad's dad -- died of cancer in 1976 when I was 11. I have so many fond memories of him as a jokester as well -- we used to visit him and Grandma frequently on weekends. He sounds a lot like your uncle. There was almost nothing Grandpa couldn't make funny.

My last memory of him was how, when he was really close to death that summer, we started talking about a planning a big family gathering at my uncle's house (Dad's brother) for Thanksgiving. This seemed to breathe new life into Grandpa. His condition rapidly improved. He gained strength, started eating again, got some color back into his cheeks and improved his spirits. He had something to keep fighting for, something to keep him going for a few months.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving 1976. We were all there -- most of the extended family, at my aunt and uncle's ranch north of San Francisco. And there was Grandpa, who in August looked like he had a few days to live... he wore his best suit (though not filling it out as he used to), was able to walk around on his own power (having been totally bedridden a few weeks earlier) and was the life of the party, cracking jokes left and right. You could see the joy in his face just to be there. He had made it. One last time to shine with all the family he loved, and he made the most of every minute of it. It was, for that reason, the most memorable Thanksgiving we ever had -- such a bittersweet time...

Less than three weeks later, he was dead at 68. He did what he was determined to do and did it with a flair -- out with a bang. With that accomplished, he let himself go.

The silver lining is that the extreme sadness fades with time, but the good memories of fun times are with you for life.

And yeah, it is a reminder about the "one more year" thing. We can't (usually) buy ourselves more time. It's also a reminder to not completely deprive yourself today for a tomorrow there's no guarantee we're even going to see.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you Michael and Ziggy.

Ziggy, what a wonderful story and memory! It is so great that he lived long enough for you to have known him so well.

I don't know if your grandpa had signature 'moves' but if my Uncle Charlie was in the room you just weren't safe from tickles, gotchas and having coins pulled from behind the ear (wow, I had forgotten about the coins until writing this). And it wasn't just family. No one in Llano was safe, all were fair game.

If there's a jokester group in heaven, I'm quite sure Uncle Charlie has already met up with your grandpa to help wreak havoc among the angels!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for you loss. 87 years is a good long life though, and you'll always have him in your heart.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lisa , Sorry for your loss !
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.