Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.
The reason for the shock is because what you are doing, what most of the people on this website have done or are in the process of doing is far from the norm. The majority of the people over 50 have less that 40,000 saved up for retirement. Most expect to work well into their 70s. A close friend of mine during a recent discussion on retirement told me that his retirement plan A is to keep buying lottery tickets and win the jackpot. Plan B involves working until he is 125. Says he should be fine after that. This is a very intelligent and educated man. However he and his wife travel frequently and do not save any money. There are also a lot of people, I personally know several who think that even if you have the funds, it is morally wrong to retire before you are 65. I have had heated discussion on this topic. In my view, with a few exceptions, people who say they will work until they are in their 80s or beyond because they love to work are full of $$#####@
They either do not have the funds, don't know what they will do with themselves , or lack the confidence to go against the grain. I have had what I consider a successful career and will be leaving a great job for the freedom to explore , travel, live and learn. Is it possible that I may come to regret this decision? Of course. But that has been the case with every major decision I have made since I was 18 years old.
Green Hornet 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonderful, wonderful news!
Remember that you've had a lot of time to think about this. You've been planning and dreaming about it for a long time. This is the first your co-workers have heard of it. Their shock is natural. And sobering. I imagine they're trying to figure out what in the world you've done to be able to retire now. Let their shock be your pat on the back for a job well done. It may be too, that one of these folks might want to have lunch with you in the future to learn how they might gear for retirement too. Your ability to both enjoy life without paid employement and to share your know-how with others are both positive, forward moving gifts. Don't look back but stay focused on enjoying each and every day. You've completely earned it.
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked.
They will get over it. Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.
If it helps, I retired at 61 and everyone at work was shocked when I retired, too. People at my work were used to seeing me mostly just in that one capacity, as the oceanographer at work. They couldn't visualize me as doing anything else all day long. Plus, some of them just never were very good at dealing with change.

It's always good to question whether you are doing the right thing, but I would imagine now that you are THIS close to retiring, you are pretty sure about that. So, trust your own feelings.

For many of us, retirement has been a wonderful adventure!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats and enjoy the rest of your life!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

So here I sit on what was supposed to be my last day forever. Instead, I allowed myself to get talked into asking for a LOA. Asked for 6 months and was offered 3 months. I don't really see any downside to the deal. I get the summer off, and if in October I decide I don't really want to work anymore, I come back and clean out my office. Or maybe offer to work part time to smooth the transition, if they want that. It will be a good opportunity to see if ER is really what I want right now.
coveredbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #27

Congratulations! Today is my 7th year anniversary. It only gets better!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

So does the LOA include benefits as well?

I am 2 weeks away from giving my 3-week notice and I am preparing myself for any and all possible responses to that notice.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
So does the LOA include benefits as well?

I am 2 weeks away from giving my 3-week notice and I am preparing myself for any and all possible responses to that notice.
Participation in the benefit plans is included.

The main response I got was shock and disbelief, but everyone was gracious about it. After the initial shock the response seemed to be just another change for certain people to deal with.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #30

Coveredbridge, Congrats! I'm guessing the LOA won't cause you to waver, but enjoy the benefits while you get them.

Has anyone else run into what Green Hornet discusses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet 21 View Post
...There are also a lot of people, I personally know several who think that even if you have the funds, it is morally wrong to retire before you are 65. I have had heated discussion on this topic. ...
We haven't heard anything like this. Although, maybe since mid-50s isn't that shocking?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! You are gonna love it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! I can't believe it's been three months already! LOA ends October 5th. I haven't even scratched the surface of things I wanted to do instead of working. Still, DW and I have pretty much agreed that the sensible thing to do is to go back to work next week and try to make it to January 2nd, which will provide another year's retirement plan contribution (minimum 10% of W-2 wages) and 5 1/2 weeks paid vacation benefit. To be clear, I really don't want to go back to work, but it just seems stupid to leave all that money on the table for the sake of 3 months of work.

The LOA allowed me to find out that I really am ready mentally to retire. There is nothing about my job that I even remotely miss (aside from the bi-weekly paycheck ). I was not bored even for a minute, and not the least bit curious about what was going on at my employer. Over the summer it was like an extended vacation since DW was also off (school teacher), but even since she went back to work a month ago, I find that I have so much to do that I don't know how I ever had time to work.

I am quite content to begin a new career as domestic goddess, and I must say I think I am pretty good at it. Cleaning, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping is really enjoyable when you have enough time to do it right. I know DW has been enjoying coming home from school and doing what she wants instead of cooking, cleaning, or going to the grocery store. She actually tells people that I'm a much better homemaker than she ever was! I realize that's mainly because I have the time to do it right.

So, it's back to work next Wednesday, for how long I don't know. I'd like to make it to the beginning of next year, solely for the additional benefits, and under the right circumstances I could even see myself going until the end of May (possible year-end bonus in first quarter if I don't let the cat out of the bag). I know though that I am not working another summer away while DW is on vacation from school. However, if employer expects me to double down to make up for lost time upon my return (which I suspect may be the case), ER could be coming very soon.

I guess this is my version of OMY syndrome.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for you!
You now know you can work, then stop, then work again if you choose. The key is you can do what you want when you want. The whole idea of society that one works a long time then stops and never works again is one i disagree with.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heartiest congratulations. Enjoy your well deserved ER!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet 21 View Post
There are also a lot of people, I personally know several who think that even if you have the funds, it is morally wrong to retire before you are 65.
One counterpoint is that by retiring you make room for someone else in the workforce, maybe an ambitious younger person who wants to get going on their FIRE dream. Or someone who wants to earn more money to spend to help our investments grow!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

What are you planning to do for health insurance in retirement?
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
What are you planning to do for health insurance in retirement?
With his wife being a schoolteacher and not stating she was retiring yet, am sure her health benefits will cover him for now.

Nice seeing these posts along with the updates.
sickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickman View Post
With his wife being a schoolteacher and not stating she was retiring yet, am sure her health benefits will cover him for now.

Nice seeing these posts along with the updates.
That's correct.
FIRE Plan...Engaged!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE Plan...Engaged!

So, I made it through the end of the year. By working through January 3rd, I earned my 2016 401k employer contribution (10% of total earnings for the year) and 5 1/2 weeks vacation pay for 2017. Plus, annual bonuses were paid today for 2016 (22.5% of salary), which I was able to bank in my 401k. Basically nine months' pay for 3 months work.

Still, it was a tough 3 months, because I didn't want to be there. It's funny though, how after the first week or so you just kind of fall back into the same routine, even if it is a miserable, despicable routine. Plus I felt like I had to go through the process of deciding to FIRE all over again, even though I knew it was time to go. So, once I knew my bonus was securely tucked away in my 401k account, I went to the boss and offered my two weeks' retirement notice. Not wanting to burn any bridges, I also offered to hold my retirement date open for as long as a few months to support a smooth transition, in exchange for a few "reasonable" accommodations.

He was very gracious, as I expected, and asked for the weekend to consider what he may want for a transition period, which I agreed to. I did make it clear that I need to be done by June 2, which is DW's last day of school.

So I guess I'll find out next week if they are interested in negotiating an extended transition period, or if I am FIRE'd on January 20th. Either way, Class of 2017, here I come!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just make sure you let them know you WILL BE GONE by June 2nd. Don't let them guilt you into the OMY. Congrats on finally making the decision to be FIRED. You will love it even more when you finally do pull the plug and don't have to go back in.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Happy New Years also.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote