Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE'd myself today at 55
Old 06-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE'd myself today at 55

Gave my notice today. I'm going on vacation on July 5th and I'm not going back. What a rush of emotions! Boss, as well as close coworkers that I told today were shocked to say the least, but everyone was very gracious about it. I know it was the right move to make, but after 33 years of work it's hard to comprehend that I won't be getting up every day and going to the office anymore. Also, while I am very comfortable with the financial picture, I'm sure it will be a shock to my system when the bi-weekly payroll deposits stop. Most of all though, I'm really looking forward to doing the things that I want to do when I get up in the morning instead of trudging into work. I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.
coveredbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats! ENJOY!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the club!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Enjoy your independence! 7/5 is my last day too!
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:21 AM   #5
Administrator

Well done.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.
Congratulations on your retirement!!

Most of their shock probably comes from the realization that some of them could have also retired if they had played their cards right.

I meet some former co-w*rkers at a local lounge every 3-4 weeks and always hear the same thing from a couple of them..."you're so lucky that you were able to retire". Luck had little to do with it...I simply had a LBYM lifestyle and saved a bit.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Congrats
Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats

Excellent, congratulations!!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Congrats!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Enjoy the well earned time off.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

Don't let the reactions from others make you question your plan. I'm sure you've done your homework and YOU know what you are able to do. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "You are too young to retire!" (I'm 51)

Enjoy your Independence Day!!
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

My retirement date is coming soon, and I have some of the same mixed feelings you have. Everybody tells me it's going to be great, though.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

congrats!
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats! Hope it all goes well! I'm out 15 July... Can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
datuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy your retirement!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, I have two months until I retire at age 50. I hear the same thing from people about being too young. Don't let the emotions get the best of you. I actually rescinded my retirement last year because my emotions got the best of me. You worked hard so enjoy the rest of your life and once again, congrats.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
Gave my notice today. I'm going on vacation on July 5th and I'm not going back. What a rush of emotions! Boss, as well as close coworkers that I told today were shocked to say the least, but everyone was very gracious about it. I know it was the right move to make, but after 33 years of work it's hard to comprehend that I won't be getting up every day and going to the office anymore. Also, while I am very comfortable with the financial picture, I'm sure it will be a shock to my system when the bi-weekly payroll deposits stop. Most of all though, I'm really looking forward to doing the things that I want to do when I get up in the morning instead of trudging into work. I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.
Congrats! Sounds like you have done all the homework, so don't look back! I'm only a few months ahead of you and I already can't IMAGINE ever going back.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #17

Congratulations! My original plan was to retire on July 4th 2014 (Independence Day). I hesitated and retired on 8/1/2014. I have never looked back!

Go for it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats!

I'm completing m 6th week of ER and loving it. Of all the positives, the best for me is that I am sleeping at night. I used to get up in the middle of the night with my brain going a million miles an hour about the 17 things I was working on, knowing that 13 weren't getting done satisfactorily (at least to me).

Whether I remain full-time retired is still questionable (DW still w*rks), but regardless, if I go back to w*rk, even part-time, will surely be in a low stress situation.
samsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsterdog View Post
Congrats!

I'm completing m 6th week of ER and loving it. Of all the positives, the best for me is that I am sleeping at night. I used to get up in the middle of the night with my brain going a million miles an hour about the 17 things I was working on, knowing that 13 weren't getting done satisfactorily (at least to me).

Whether I remain full-time retired is still questionable (DW still w*rks), but regardless, if I go back to w*rk, even part-time, will surely be in a low stress situation.
I can totally relate to the sleeping issue, and knowing so many things are falling through the cracks because there's not enough help to get things done right. That's why I don't feel like I have any choice. I just don't want to feel like that anymore, and because I am FI, I don't have to.

It is tough though when you realize that you are leaving forever and that you will no longer see the people that you spent more waking time with over the past 24 years than your family. I was an emotional wreck yesterday, and I'm trying hard to hold it together today. People keep asking me if I've changed my mind, and I want to tell them that I just don't feel like I have any choice.

The Brexit result isn't helping my sense of financial security this morning either, but I know it's just a transitory event and my portfolio can withstand it.
coveredbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

congrats!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote