Re: FIREd people we have met
Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Oh, no Nords!

Tellus it ain't so man!

A pony tail?

Ya gotta be kiddin'?
Hey Zipper I thought you were a liberal? - I think the pony Tail is Cool. I think Nords must have been one of the cool Navy Lifers. - There weren't many, but there were a few!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A pony tail?

Ya gotta be kiddin'? ;D
Ponytails did not go over big in 1970s Pittsburgh. *I may be rebellious but I'm not stupid. *

The first couple years of ER ponytail were pretty messy but I figured there'd never be a "better" time to see the project through. *And with hair growing 4-6"/year, it's over a foot long now. *At least it's growing down the back faster than it's receding up the front.

The beard was nice & warm when ice was filling the bilges, but submarines don't have sudden breezes. *I must've jumped a foot the first time the wind blew through my beard. *And a beard in Hawaii July is just plain miserable, so I wasn't sorry to (ouch) shave (ouch) it (ouch!) off. *Now I shave Mondays & Thursdays just to help remember what day of the week it is by rubbing my cheeks. *Well, +/- a day anyway.

The whole point is-- if you haven't tried it, don't knock it!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know Nords?

Do you look like "the comic book guy" on the Simpsons?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know Nords?

Do you look like "the comic book guy" on the Simpsons? :-[
(*snort*) 5'10", 175#, buff from tae kwon do & surfing, still have my steely-eyed-killer-of-the-deep visage, so no one pokes fun at my ponytail.

Except my daughter, who will continue to get away with it as long as her hook kick is much nastier than mine.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5' 9", 150 lbs. slightly flabby and not much muscle tone
(I clean up good though ). People mess with me at their peril. That's just the way it is.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #46

I used to get my hair cut at least 4 or 5 times per decade whether it needed it or not. Actually, I've been getting it cut 3 or 4 times per year lately. Phoenix is no place to keep a pony tail.

I first grew a beard several years ago when I spent a month hiking in the Andes and forgot to bring a razor. I have one of those scroungy multi-day old beards. That allows me to shave only about once a week.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote ]

*Now I shave Mondays & Thursdays just to help remember what day of the week it is by rubbing my cheeks. *Well, +/- a day anyway.

[quote]

Nords

Many of my ER friends, although they deny it, have no idea what day of the week it is. "Every day is Saturday and every night is Friday night!"

You've come up with a great way to keep track.

This is a very important point when the microbrews are $1.50 on Sunday, one needs to know the day!
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:33 AM   #48

I have no idea what day it is about half the time.
I find myself asking people. This week, I set the garbage out on Tuesday and they don't pick up until Thursday. I used to time my days down to the minute,
to see how much I could squeeze in and now I don't
know the day of the week or even wear
a watch most of the time. I'm lovin' it!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:12 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and now I don't
know the day of the week or even wear
a watch most of the time. *I'm lovin' it! JG
Watch-free for three years now. Even the tan line is gone.

At first I was amazed at how many places have time displays.

Now I'm happy at how seldom I need to know what time it is.