Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Any specific suggestions? I'd be willing to consider this.
Check out elance, odesk and flexjobs for some ideas of the kinds of services people are willing to hire online. Or you could have your own online store using drop shippers or selling something digital that doesn't have to be physically stored and shipped. There are many mom and pop stores online, but if you have to physically ship inventory it is hard to travel around. There are really lots of online type consulting jobs or business to start that don't involve huge start up costs, except for your time, so if they don't work out you can move on to something else.
__________________

__________________
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Although I respect the suggestions provided in this thread, at the end of the day, many sound like you again becoming an employee where you have to be on someone else's time instead of your own or owning a job. In my book, both should done by age 50, leaving the 2nd half of life for fun-in-the-sun.

If you continue to evaluate each, list the headaches that come with each especially in this over-regulated nation. And even in the various business ventures listed, check out the number of frivolous lawsuits clogging up the courts including e.g. people claiming that the equipment used scratched or dented their 1999 rusted out vehicle; accusations of someone having stolen their items or not in the initial condition when dropped off; people not showing up to work at all nor on-time; disciplinary issues; rising and unpredictable fuel and healthcare costs and associated paperwork that requires a lot of time and possibly an additional employee or your time; inventory not matching actual; employee theft; bickering between employees acting like children; etc.

The abuse of as well as legitimate ADA requirements are increasingly putting companies out of business as there are people purposely going to franchises, mom-n-pops, hotels, etc. and forcing them to widen their entrance doors; add a ramp everywhere there are stairs; widening their restrooms and hallways; adding a hoist to swimming pools; etc. especially when operating on narrow profit margins and not being given ample time to complete before daily fines start kicking in.

I understand when it is legitimate, but more demands are coming from ambulance-chasing attorneys on behalf of someone they found who would become a potential plaintiff who had not even shown a desire to patronize those businesses; some have actually been wheelchair-bound and were going from business-to-business then suing, believe it or not, then getting paid good money when paid by the businesses to go away (I saw this on several news magazine programs over the years); forcing restaurants to offer special foods to fit a certain whatever or they'll sue; people demanding above-market raises 'right now' even when they don't have the skill set or education to justify it; can't fire anyone until you keep paying more for their training 'until they get it'; everyone is sooo... offended about everything; people wanting everything to be so 'P.C.' to the point where substantive duty/task requests between management and employees are becoming a thing of the past; always on-call when you are not right there at the location especially when employees are too scared to make a decision; etc.

The older I get, the more 'I've been there, done that' or have known others in that situation who were not real happy people whereby it spilled over into their home life.

At age 45, you have 5 more years to experience that and get that feeling out of your system. Maybe 50 is too early for you. Maybe it's 60, maybe older. That's a personal choice.

All I know is, I am tired of owning a job after having worked for others prior since the age of 18, so I'm working on making a change. But that's just me.

There are other ideas out there for you, though... It's just a matter of what you are willing to stomach and the amount of your time you are willing to give up... Maybe, it's a matter of good investment choices or the right business opportunity.

Whew...
__________________

__________________
tiredofworking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofworking2 View Post
Although I respect the suggestions provided in this thread, at the end of the day, many sound like you again becoming an employee where you have to be on someone else's time instead of your own or owning a job. In my book, both should done by age 50, leaving the 2nd half of life for fun-in-the-sun.

If you continue to evaluate each, list the headaches that come with each especially in this over-regulated nation. And even in the various business ventures listed, check out the number of frivolous lawsuits clogging up the courts including e.g. people claiming that the equipment used scratched or dented their 1999 rusted out vehicle; accusations of someone having stolen their items or not in the initial condition when dropped off; people not showing up to work at all nor on-time; disciplinary issues; rising and unpredictable fuel and healthcare costs and associated paperwork that requires a lot of time and possibly an additional employee or your time; inventory not matching actual; employee theft; bickering between employees acting like children; etc.

The abuse of as well as legitimate ADA requirements are increasingly putting companies out of business as there are people purposely going to franchises, mom-n-pops, hotels, etc. and forcing them to widen their entrance doors; add a ramp everywhere there are stairs; widening their restrooms and hallways; adding a hoist to swimming pools; etc. especially when operating on narrow profit margins and not being given ample time to complete before daily fines start kicking in.

I understand when it is legitimate, but more demands are coming from ambulance-chasing attorneys on behalf of someone they found who would become a potential plaintiff who had not even shown a desire to patronize those businesses; some have actually been wheelchair-bound and were going from business-to-business then suing, believe it or not, then getting paid good money when paid by the businesses to go away (I saw this on several news magazine programs over the years); forcing restaurants to offer special foods to fit a certain whatever or they'll sue; people demanding above-market raises 'right now' even when they don't have the skill set or education to justify it; can't fire anyone until you keep paying more for their training 'until they get it'; everyone is sooo... offended about everything; people wanting everything to be so 'P.C.' to the point where substantive duty/task requests between management and employees are becoming a thing of the past; always on-call when you are not right there at the location especially when employees are too scared to make a decision; etc.

The older I get, the more 'I've been there, done that' or have known others in that situation who were not real happy people whereby it spilled over into their home life.

At age 45, you have 5 more years to experience that and get that feeling out of your system. Maybe 50 is too early for you. Maybe it's 60, maybe older. That's a personal choice.

All I know is, I am tired of owning a job after having worked for others prior since the age of 18, so I'm working on making a change. But that's just me.

There are other ideas out there for you, though... It's just a matter of what you are willing to stomach and the amount of your time you are willing to give up... Maybe, it's a matter of good investment choices or the right business opportunity.

Whew...
With apologies to Renee Zellweger, "You had me at although..."
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofworking2 View Post
Although I respect the suggestions provided in this thread, at the end of the day, many sound like you again becoming an employee where you have to be on someone else's time instead of your own or owning a job. In my book, both should done by age 50, leaving the 2nd half of life for fun-in-the-sun.
It sounds like you don't enjoy what you do, so a fun in the sun retirement probably works best for you. But many people who could otherwise retire enjoy their careers or are interested in trying out something new even if they have enough money to be financially independent -

Most Millionaires Don't Plan to Retire
__________________
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It sounds like you don't enjoy what you do, so a fun in the sun retirement probably works best for you. But many people who could otherwise retire enjoy their careers or are interested in trying out something new even if they have enough money to be financially independent -

Most Millionaires Don't Plan to Retire
The difficulty here is that most are not experienced business people, and enough money to be financially independent can easily go to not enough money to be financially independent in a poorly conceived or poorly executed or bad luck business venture.

Experiment when you are young, later in life bring the ship safely into port.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Experiment when you are young, later in life bring the ship safely into port.

Ha

<cue the 70's porn background music>
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The difficulty here is that most are not experienced business people, and enough money to be financially independent can easily go to not enough money to be financially independent in a poorly conceived or poorly executed or bad luck business venture.

Experiment when you are young, later in life bring the ship safely into port.

Ha
Exactly. I don't understand what happens with people in fairly secure employment situations with pensions. I have a relative who Er'd from a management job with the state at age 58. She then went into rental properties to boost her income. Then reality sets in and you have another job. My take on it = if she worked another 6-8 months she would have made more than the next several years of rental income.
When I'm done working I'm done.
__________________
Retired in 2016. Living off dividends / interest and a mini pension. Freedom.
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,424
My BIL and sister are visiting this week. They have numerous times mentioned interesting business opportunities as we have traveled together and I keep reminding them that I'm retired and I don't want to work anymore.

Some people aren't happy unless they are doing something - have a purpose - OTOH I'm perfectly happy puttering around and not doing much of anything. Different strokes....
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm perfectly happy puttering around and not doing much of anything.
+1

That's almost a lost art, but I'm doing my best to bring it back to prominence.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #30
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
OTOH I'm perfectly happy puttering around and not doing much of anything. Different strokes....
Admittedly it took a while for me to catch on but I've almost got it down now. Play with the camera, go for a motorcycle ride, take a class now and then, etc.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 360
Food concession trailer. Pick easy generic items to sell. Go to festivals when you want to work. You could even pull with RV and go to bigger regional events. Even things as local as dog or horse shows can make you $200/300 for the day and something to do. (If you like to work for yourself)
It may takes a couple of seasons to decide which ones work for you.

You could probably start at the low end with used at $3-5k or you could go with something you know and keep it RE related.
__________________

__________________
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:17 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.