Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where are you living after RE?
Itinerant: RV - Boat - Hotel 3 1.45%
HI, other Pacific Isle. Caribean 3 1.45%
California 12 5.80%
North West State 8 3.86%
Central, MidWest State 27 13.04%
TX, South West State 20 9.66%
South East, FL to NC 8 3.86%
New England 5 2.42%
North East VA to NY 9 4.35%
Asia 3 1.45%
Europe, Mediter. Isle 1 0.48%
Canada 7 3.38%
South, Central Amer., Mex 3 1.45%
NOT FIRED USE THIS OPTION TO VIEW RESULT 98 47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Re: FIREd: Where are you?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New England for us (MA/NH primarily). Won't change unless a down-sizing is forced upon us (if the house equity was needed).

My parents are pretty much "trapped" upstate NY ... tried to look at houses near thier kids and realize they simply can not afford to live in most places.

At least by living in a high priced area ... moving IS an option.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Florida, Gulf Coast, for a career opportunity with many initial reservations about it.

Turned out almost all my pre-conceptions were wrong. Like it so much that we'll probably retire here, maybe with a northern outpost depending on the kids' and grandkids' ultimate plans. Not sure I'd say the same about other areas of the state, but Tampa Bay is good living for us.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Just don't know, house is all ready in Vegas, but still in NYC and can't seem to let go of my outdoor spot of the corner of Beaver and Broad.

The scenery here is unbelievable for an old perv like me, it gets better every year and last from early May until october.

Sipping a cawfee at Sbucks outdoor seating, watching the youngins strut by, seeing the brokers in their suits sweating and tawking all sorts of gibberish about trades, and I just leer at the L-rds work walking on by..

Hot time, summer in de city, why move to Vegas when I get the greatest show on earth right here.* sob sob sob

jug
oy vey ist mir
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

BTW- Panama is not the same as Columbia No drug dealers here. :
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug
Just don't know, house is all ready in Vegas, but still in NYC and can't seem to let go of my outdoor spot of the corner of Beaver and Broad.

The scenery here is unbelievable for an old perv like me, it gets better every year and last from early May until october.

Sipping a cawfee at Sbucks outdoor seating, watching the youngins strut by, seeing the brokers in their suits sweating and tawking all sorts of gibberish about trades, and I just leer at the L-rds work walking on by..

Hot time, summer in de city, why move to Vegas when I get the greatest show on earth right here.* sob sob sob

jug
oy vey ist mir
Yeah, that's how I feel about L.A... Got this little rental aptmt. with great views and everything around a few corners.
Not that I go out a lot - have traveled enough already...* just floating in warm soup, knowing whatever I could possibly want is within reach... a funky Polish restaurant, Chinatown bustle, designer anything + more, an Armenian contingent in permanent black for heavy moods, Hummer stretch limos I can curse at on Sunset Bvd, Tibetan Lamas in my bank...* It's all here... and no desire to chase*it, own it, or even get rid of of it. This is truly what I always wanted: just this.

Oh mama, this must be my ice cream slurpee
Old 06-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My neighborhood is beginning to get a bit like Jug's and Kaleko's. I am on Capitol Hill in DC. I can relax in my cozy townhouse on a tree shaded street with brick sidewalks. Or I can walk a block to restaurants, shopping, outdoor cafes, etc. If I want a little more excerixise I can walk or bike down to the Mall or any number of downtown areas that are booming. Lots of interesting characters around - but somewhat muted compared to NY or LA.

DW and I have a weekend place on the tidal Potomac - an area that is a magnet for retirees. But if we ultimately have to keep just one place, it will be the townhouse in the city.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #27

Just FI, RE in next 12 months. We'll probably stay in western Canada as all our friends & family are here and living costs are low. Greatest summers on earth, just short, so watch out for another @#%^&* snowbird couple.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:40 AM   #28

Thailand for now, maybe I'll try the Philippines next...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Just FI, RE in next 12 months. We'll probably stay in western Canada as all our friends & family are here and living costs are low. Greatest summers on earth, just short, so watch out for another @#%^&* snowbird couple.
Where in Canada and what is the cost of housing?

SWR
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Thailand for now, maybe I'll try the Philippines next...
I wouldn't, unless you really want to appreciate Thailand.* I know of natives to dreamed of returning home when retired, lasted about two months.*
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #31

New York, here, the state not the city. Never seen us grouped with Virginia, but it doesn't bother me. In upstate, we're really the same region as lower New England, but they are too fussy about changing any of those traditions and recognizing that.

kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I wouldn't, unless you really want to appreciate Thailand.* I know of natives to dreamed of returning home when retired, lasted about two months.*
Can you be specific as to why they did not "readjust" to the Philippines?

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by db
California is very diverse. *The major dividing line is coastal paradise or inland hell. *Then there is northern, central (e.g. Monterey through Santa Barbara), and southern coasts. *The northern coast, except for greater San Francisco, is pretty wild; the southern coast has been so heavily developed it is difficult to see the ocean. *

We retired to the small town of Montecito, adjacent to Santa Barbara. *It sits on a mile wide shelf between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains of the Los Padres National Forest. *For a combination of mild weather and scenic beauty, it is hard to beat. *Thus, RE prices are very high.

But Bakersfiled, Barstow, Fresno, and Tracy are also California, and in many ways differ little from much of Texas, except it is a shorter drive to the Pacific Ocean. *Sure, RE is cheap, but would you choose to reitre in there?

db
I wish I could afford to retire to your area. Some of the most exciting California wine is coming out of your area right now. Great Pinot Noir and Chard! Even the Cab is getting better. If you have any secret on how to afford housing there, let me know.

setab
Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #34

We're living in Northern Virginia, about 25 miles south of D.C. We lived in a Maryland suburb of D.C. for 30 years while working and raising the kids. Once we retired we moved to a smaller single family house in a "55 or better" community. We looked at these types of places all over the D.C. area and also in Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina and Delaware. DW really wanted to stay in the D.C. area because of long time friends here. This community was the best we found in terms of price, amenities and location. We've been here 18 months and love it. We're close enough to D.C. to go into town for theater, restaurants, etc. We are also an hour closer to our son who lives in N.C.

Grumpy
Old 06-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Grumpy, We've been looking at those also. There is a new Del Webb in SC about an hour from our daughter in Charlotte. My wife says she isn't sure she wants to live around nothing but old people. I think the lack yard work, smaller house and a community of similar interests would be great. Got any thoughts? Thanks.

setab
Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We'll probably always have our homeport in the upper midwest. Most all our family is within 150 miles of us for now. Cost of living is extremely reasonable and we LOVE all the seasons for now.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #37

First, came to CA for job after BS.

Will probably leave the Santa Clara valley sometime during R unless, for example, both kids decide to stay but will probably stay on the west coast or less likely move to one of the mountain states.

Constraint is that I've become a weather snob over the years:

- Cold. snow and ice?* Not for me!* I can go to the Sierra to ski.* Scratch New England, Midwest, upper Plains and Rocky Mountain states.

- Humidity?* Forget it!* Hot, humid summers are just as bad as cold winters!* Eliminate the Southeast.

- High summer temperatures?* Nope!* Would have to get up earlier to get my running and biking in than I do now to go to work!* There goes the Southwest and the CA desert and Central Valley.

So I'm probably doomed to high housing costs*

MB* * * * *
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
Grumpy, We've been looking at those also. There is a new Del Webb in SC about an hour from our daughter in Charlotte. My wife says she isn't sure she wants to live around nothing but old people. I think the lack yard work, smaller house and a community of similar interests would be great. Got any thoughts? Thanks.

setab
Setab,

We looked at a number of Del Webb communities in Phoenix, and Las Vegas. There is also a Del Webb community 25 miles south of here in Fredricksburg, Va. that we considered. The floor plans there really didn't appeal to us but the other aspects of the communities were very nice. My wife and I are 58 and 59 years old. The community we moved to is new (less than three years old), only 600 of the eventual 800 homes have been built. As a result, most of the residents are in their late 50's to early 60's. In more established communities, the populations have aged since the communities opened. If you are looking for a youngish population, stick with a new community. We don't feel like we are living with a "nothing but old people". It is more like when we went off to college; we are all about the same age with similar interests and expectations. Many of our neighbors have children and grandchildren in the area who are often here for activities at the clubhouse. We don't feel at all isolated. It has been easy to make friends and to get involved with community organizations. Mrs. Grumpy and I are very happy with our choice.

Grumpy
Old 06-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
BTW- Panama is not the same as Columbia* No drug dealers here. :
I assume you are joking, or do you figure that Norieaga was the only one?

Ha
Old 06-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

California. I'm looking at the Golden Gate Bridge right now. It is a strip of amber lights on a dark blue bay.

Also have a ranch in the wine country north of here. Just got back from there after about a week.

I love the contrast and could go back and forth forever, spending time at each.

Also have a power pocket-cruiser docked in Sausalito which is a port town on the Marin side of the bay. Love to cruise around the Bay in that anchoring out here and there.

I can't tell you how many people told me over the last 15 to 20 years that I should not buy these places. Various reasons but all said no don't do it, it's a waste of money, invest in...

I consider myself fortunate to live in this beautiful state but people still complain. "It's too expensive, the market is going to crash."

Well, maybe so but you should see my property tax bill compared to even a modest house in say... Texas. Not only that but their taxes in 10 years are going to be a hell of a lot higher still.

To each his own.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote