Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where are you living after RE?
Itinerant: RV - Boat - Hotel 3 1.45%
HI, other Pacific Isle. Caribean 3 1.45%
California 12 5.80%
North West State 8 3.86%
Central, MidWest State 27 13.04%
TX, South West State 20 9.66%
South East, FL to NC 8 3.86%
New England 5 2.42%
North East VA to NY 9 4.35%
Asia 3 1.45%
Europe, Mediter. Isle 1 0.48%
Canada 7 3.38%
South, Central Amer., Mex 3 1.45%
NOT FIRED USE THIS OPTION TO VIEW RESULT 98 47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

FIREd: Where are you?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

FIREd: Where are you?

Where is everyone? Why did you choose that place? Would you decide to go there again?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FIREd: Where are you?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Texas to be with family. Otherwise I'd still be itinerant boater.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Canada primarily to be with family as well. And cheap healthcare for my retirement.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

florida house for now for family. next possibly itinerant summer apartments & after that likely itinerant boat. have never before had so many options. it's a little overwelming. not yet sure how it's all gonna play out.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
... have never before had so many options. it's a little overwelming. not yet sure how it's all gonna play out.
The heartbreak of ER...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #6

Hard to say. I just moved and am staying with my Dad in NYC for a bit longer. Then I am heading down to Tucson to establish my residency. Then it's off to Thailand (I think) but who knows.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
florida house for now for family. next possibly itinerant summer apartments & after that likely itinerant boat. have never before had so many options. it's a little overwelming. not yet sure how it's all gonna play out.
The delightful curse of a FIRE'd person.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If California gets a separate category, Minnesota should too.* ** I shouldn't be dumped in the central midwest with the likes of Arkansas or Ohio.*

What about the deep south ala Louisiania, Alabama, Mississsippi?

What about Wyoming, Colorado, Montana?

I know, I am a pissy pants.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #9

I said New England because that's where I intend to stay. House is paid for, family and support network is there. I love the all of the seasons, yep, even winter as long as I don't have to drive during a snow storm. This past winter was nice, all storms seem to happen either Sat or Sun, no worry about commute, it was very relaxing.

We'll probably do some extended vacation time in FL with some friends and relatives but not really winter there.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

I know, I am a pissy pants.
Don't worry too much about it, Martha. That's just the "golden years" creeping up on you.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #11

I refused to answer. No self-respecting Southwesterner will agree to being lumped with Texas. :P
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Louisiana - aka New Orleans - 12

Now Missouri - for ? - aka Kansas City.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
...self-respecting Southwesterner...
Oxymoron.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

No, that would be "respectable Southwesterner"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Why did you choose that place?
The Navy chose it for us. *We started our careers on the east coast & Europe, spent some time in Monterey, and figured that San Diego must be heaven on earth. *Our assignment officers begged us DINKs to go to Hawaii and fill some of their gapped billets.

After four years we "ran out of jobs" here and had to go to San Diego. *We figured that we'd get over our Hawaii infatuation, avoid "rock fever", and resume our normal lives. *

Couldn't do it. *In fact, every time our planes landed in Hawaii we felt like we were coming "home" again. *San Diego is a nice place to live but to us it's cold, polluted, and even more crowded than Oahu. *The idea of returning to the east coast is more foreign to us than a trip to Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Would you decide to go there again?
Heck yeah.

From the Navy perspective, it was where the action was at (and still is). *You also don't have to worry about things freezing (like sanitation hoses) or have to drive on the surface for six hours to find water deep enough to submerge in. *The Hawaii Navy culture is a lot more relaxed and less ossified steeped in tradition than the east coast, too. *Chief petty officers are actually expected to do their jobs and given the responsibility of doing so. *Officers are actually expected to lead and to think instead of to do what they're told.

Great climate. *Beaches everywhere. *Tradewinds with lower humidity than the Caribbean. *A seemingly infinite variety of cultures, languages, & cuisines. *Exotic flora & fauna. *Different religions & philosophies. *A chance to break with our families and establish some family/tradition of our own. *And then I learned how to surf...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What about the deep south ala Louisiania, Alabama, Mississsippi?
Yes, why are we lumped in with those *bermuda shorts, black socks, sandal wearing Florida people?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

I'll have to work on the Navy branch of the Family(San Diego and Pennsecola) to draw an Island billet so's I can go visit.

Can't be better than Missoura though - right?

heh heh heh heh heh

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

California is very diverse. *The major dividing line is coastal paradise or inland hell. *Then there is northern, central (e.g. Monterey through Santa Barbara), and southern coasts. *The northern coast, except for greater San Francisco, is pretty wild; the southern coast has been so heavily developed it is difficult to see the ocean. *

We retired to the small town of Montecito, adjacent to Santa Barbara. *It sits on a mile wide shelf between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains of the Los Padres National Forest. *For a combination of mild weather and scenic beauty, it is hard to beat. *Thus, RE prices are very high.

But Bakersfiled, Barstow, Fresno, and Tracy are also California, and in many ways differ little from much of Texas, except it is a shorter drive to the Pacific Ocean. *Sure, RE is cheap, but would you choose to reitre in there?

db
db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #19

Quote:
But Bakersfiled, Barstow, Fresno, and Tracy are also California, and in many ways differ little from much of Texas, except it is a shorter drive to the Pacific Ocean. Sure, RE is cheap, but would you choose to reitre in there?

db
I spend 9 weeks in Barstow once back in 1980. I don't know what's happened to the place since then BUT.. I wouldn't mind retiring to a place like that. I am not "in" to doing a lot of stuff so I don't live or die by constant external stimulation. (That's the reason I needed to retire anyway) I thought it was a nice little small town.

And it's a few hours drive from Las vegas if you want a weekend of fun and frolic. In fact in those days my regulat home was Las Vegas and I wouldn;t mind living in Las vegas c 1979/80 either but not today's LV
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Can't be better than Missoura though - right?
heh heh heh heh heh
Stay away, Unclemick, don't fall into the same trap that we did!

If you have no idea how nice it is then you'll never miss it...

One of my indications that I'd never have problems in ER was seeing an old stoner underemployed handyman in Pahoa. A dozen other homeowners were paying him a retainer to keep an eye on their places, where little or no work needed to be done, and his only "mandatory" expenses were groceries & gas. He said that some days he was so wasted hung over tired from surfing that he could hardly finish his rounds.

I realized that if God had meant mankind to remain carefree or poor then he wouldn't have invented plumbing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote