Join Early Retirement Today

Re: First Cruise in 26 Years
Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have taken a similar cruise to the Canal twice, very interesting. Just remember to cover all your skin while sitting on the deck. Sun poisoning is very common. Happened to me, even with sunscreen on and I have my own tanning bed. I got the top of my feet burned. When I arrived home my daughter whom is in the medical field told me to go to the doctor immediately. My doctor thought it was funny and told me how he got toasted in Africa.

But anyhow I use sanitizer after I read the menu and often during the day. I carry the packets and use them frequently. Do not drink tap water on ship.

Also medication for sea sickness is free usually at the pursers office, take medication before you feel sick, lay flat on a bed, and order bland food in bed. Apples and salt crackers are great.

Two years ago while cruising around Australia the Norwegian Dream had glass blown out from waves over the ship. I have been on ships that rocked so much you could hardly walk down the halls without sliding your hand down the walls, for stabilization.

I don't mean to scare you, but just be prepared, even the coast of Florida can get ruff. I remember one time the band was sick, and they are on board for months.

Also in Mexico renting the Jeeps and racing around the beach is a blast.

Enjoy your trip
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

No one mentioned the best preventative for sea sickness - SeaBands.
They are acupressure devices - elastic bands worn on the wrist that create pressure at te point to cure nausea - also used for the nausea of pregnancy.

I've been on many many cruises - some in extrememly rough seas. On my first cruise we went right through a ful fledged hurricane. All the other ships turned around, but the crazy captain of the SS Norway went through it. Most of the crew was ill. The decks were pretty empty, but we noticed that most of us who were not ill were wearing SeaBands.
Another cruise I was OK & not needing them, but met someone who was quite green & not handling the sea very well. Gave her my Sea Bands, and by the evening she could not stop thanking me for saving her cruise.

Off next week on a fairly small ship - Regent Voyager - for Belize, Chichen Itza, Cozumel, Roatan, Santo Tomas. Can't Wait.
LIPhotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

DW and I are planning a cruise in July to Alaska for 2 weeks. I just found out that the citizens of Alaska think so much of all of the cruisers that they have approved a $50/head Cruise passenger tax that is effective 1/1/07. Evidently they have not grasped the concept that tourists with large sums of spendable cash is in itself, a rather easy way to finance many citizens throughout the long winters.

But the good people of Alaska want more...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gotta keep out the non-marijuana-smoking riff-raff!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Folks!
DW and I are back from our "First Cruise in 26 Years". What a blast! Weather was perfect and the waves mild. Didn't need any medication for sea-sickness. The Coral Princess had decent stablizers and rocked very little, except for us . We visited Cozumel Mexico, Grand Cayman, Limon Costa Rica, Panama Canal and Old Panama City, Cristobel and Ocho Rio Jamaica during our 10-day cruise. All the shore tours were exceptional, expecially the Sloth Preserve in Costa Rica. We also liked climbing Dunn's Falls in Ocho Rio except that the rubber shoes I rented for the climb were so tight that it felt like my big toes were being pushed out the back of my heels. We did notice that most natives at the ports-of-call wanted to quickly relieve us of our money. We were careful and only bought things that will eventually sell in a yard sale. Actually, jewelry was a good deal and I bought DW a nice ring an earrings. Got tired of going into jewelry stores though. Not too many stores carried guy stuff. Did buy a few Cuban cigars and smuggled them back into the states. Haven't tried them yet. One funny story in Grand Cayman. We took a tour with a local to Hell and back (yes, Hell is an actual place...I'll post pictures later). One elderly lady with a walker was with us. We were in a minivan and she had difficulty getting into and out of the van. We helped her, but noticed she was having more and more difficulty as the tour progressed. Well, it seems our lady with the walker was nipping wine at each stop. She went through about four small bottles of wine by the end of the tour. God bless her. She had fun.

Thanks to all on this board for your advice. One final note to all thinking of going on a cruise. Stay away from folks with walkers and STAY OUT OF THE BINGO PARLOR!!! Those old coots take it seriously.
paradiseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Pictures! We want pictures!

Sounds like a great cruise. Got me thinking maybe it's about time for one.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote