First Day of Retirement!!

Congrats on your retirement! The only thing that keeps me from doing that is the cost of health care. I've been laid off since last May and jobs are just now opening back up. Got a couple of good leads. I'm guessing you're on some sort of company plan for a while; am I right?

Congrats on your retirement! The only thing that keeps me from doing that is the cost of health care. I've been laid off since last May and jobs are just now opening back up. Got a couple of good leads. I'm guessing you're on some sort of company plan for a while; am I right?

Yes, I'm lucky in that my company up until 2012 offered a defined pension and retiree health care. Don't get me wrong, I almost had a massive coronary with the cost now that I'm paying the price.

I have the family plan because I still have two sons and it will run me almost 7k.
My oldest ages out next year and it will hopefully drop

Good luck

Wow. I still w*rk and sleep until 7 or 8 am. When I retire it will be 9 or 10 am. My fitbit tells me to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep each night and I often do.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

That used to be my hours before this last job. Honestly I stayed instead of quitting the first day because I could carpool with my spouse. But it's awful.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, I'm lucky in that my company up until 2012 offered a defined pension and retiree health care. Don't get me wrong, I almost had a massive coronary with the cost now that I'm paying the price.

I have the family plan because I still have two sons and it will run me almost 7k. My oldest ages out next year and it will hopefully drop

Good luck

It's the cost of health care that keeps many of my friends at work longer than they intended. I know of some who retired and had to go back to work due to cost of health care. I wonder how many companies will continue the retiree health care.

It's the cost of health care that keeps many of my friends at work longer than they intended. I know of some who retired and had to go back to work due to cost of health care. I wonder how many companies will continue the retiree health care.

I have to be at my job 15 years total to continue health care....unfortunately that would have me at exactly 65!
$7000 sounds like a deal to me if its decent insurance.

Congratulation! I think its hystercial that you picked april 1st

Things will even get better after a week, month, 4 months. Beyond 4 months, I wouldn't know b/c I am only on my 4th month in retirement.

Didn't ACA (Obamacare) take care of that?

Seriously, I don't know b/c I am still w*rking and covered under a company plan, but you can get ACA now without any pre-existing condition limitations, etc. So you can get health care, but is it so expensive it is cost prohibitive? :(

I would think even if you have retiree healthcare there is some cost involved for the insured.

Sorry off topic

The ACA made health care more accessible but not cheap, so for many folks health care through their jobs is still the only way they can afford it.

Well two weeks in and I gotta say, I'm loving it. went to Vegas with sister and best friend to celebrate and now just catching my breathe

thanks again
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
I'm planning for my first day to be April Fools next year. I hope it goes as well.

April 1st fell on a weekend when I retired in 2007. But April was my first month of retirement and what a great time to start retirement. Love Spring time. As far as sleeping late goes.......7 a.m. is about it. Dog nudges me when the sun comes up.

The ACA made health care more accessible but not cheap, so for many folks health care through their jobs is still the only way they can afford it.

Well two weeks in and I gotta say, I'm loving it. went to Vegas with sister and best friend to celebrate and now just catching my breathe

thanks again

It's still not cheap, but its about half what it used to be for those RE

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

thanks again

I'll be joining you in two weeks. However without retiree coverage at a mere 2X the current employee rate I might drag it out.
In any event, congrats bclover, sounds like you're having a great time.

I guess cheap is a relative term, but I was considering some employers plans that were $250+ a check for a high deductible plan being paid bi-weekly brought it to $6500 annually, around what an average/similar plan might be on ACA?

I hear about these high cost high deductible plans when I interview potential employees, as needed employees who do fill in work (talking about their FT job benefits) and my own DW employer whose family plan through her work is crazy expensive.

I think just the fact that you could get a similar plan for a similar price (if you were paying the above example) outside of work would be key for a RE person who might have been uninsurable or much higher premiums with some pre-existing conditions.

Full disclosure: I pay a fifth of that biweekly ($50) for family coverage and a PPO type plan that has a minimal deductible/copay.

Congratulations to several of you that took your FIRE Escape on 4/1/16. I too am in that club and have enjoyed the last two weeks immensely. Last week was also my 50th birthday.

As far as health insurance goes, we now have private insurance (didn't qualify for ACA subsidies) and am paying about 11K/year for 3 people.

bclover said:
I have the family plan because I still have two sons and it will run me almost 7k.
I will have the alternatives of ACA or partially funded company retirement health insurance beginning in July. I am married and still have a son in college, so I need family coverage. Using either the ACA or retirement insurance, my share will be in the $16k range per year...and that's for premiums only. Add to that a couple thousand for deductibles.

I'm willing to listen to ways to address cost now that we have addressed availability.

Back
Top Bottom