Join Early Retirement Today

First Day of Retirement!!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First Day of Retirement!!

First, a huge kudos to each and everyone who talked me off the "proverbial" ledge in my last thread. for some reason the 2 weeks before saw me in full blown panic attack, lol I'm not a stable mabel naturally so I wasn't surprised. while the financial information I get here is nice, what I appreciate more is the moral and mental support of this forum. Here's a Mai-tai to you all.

Anyhoo, april fools was my first full day of retirement. very exciting. The main thing I noticed was how "relaxed" I was. usually as I go about my daily routine I am uber conscious of the time. If I go to the gym, I'm always thinking 'Ok, don't stay long because you have ______". or if I get stuck in a slow line in the super market I get annoyed. Yesterday I made a conscious effort to not do that. Got my hair colored (hey it takes work to be a natural redhead) and didn't silently kvetch because the stylist was chatty. my son's took me out to lunch and we lingered. nice

lol I did get up at my normal "work" time of 4:45 am!! I'll have to work on that.

All and all a wonderful start to a new chapter. of course I had a few blips. I took advantage of an early buyout at work so I was supposed to get a lump sum payout on 4/1. didn't happen and payroll of course has no idea what happened. but I'll fight with them next week
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. May this be the first of many thousands of happily retired days.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #3

One day down and, today when you wake up, there will be no chance that it is an April Fools hoax. ITS REAL!
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You did it, stable mabel! Congrats!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

3 Cheers! Welcome to life 2.0.

You will still have some uphill climbs and stresses.... my April 1 was spent bailing my useless nephew out of jail for a domestic dispute....
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #6

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
If I go to the gym, I'm always thinking 'Ok, don't stay long because you have ______". or if I get stuck in a slow line in the super market I get annoyed. Yesterday I made a conscious effort to not do that.
It is such a new experience to be open to random chats with people at the gym or the supermarket. No worry, as you noted, about being late for the next thing. Here's another one - wait until you have to call Customer Service for anything. No fretting about how long you've been on hold, or how many people you get transferred to, watching your scarce free time fritter away.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Looking forward to a glorious one year anniversary report! Enjoy!!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
It is such a new experience to be open to random chats with people at the gym or the supermarket. No worry, as you noted, about being late for the next thing. Here's another one - wait until you have to call Customer Service for anything. No fretting about how long you've been on hold, or how many people you get transferred to, watching your scarce free time fritter away.
+1
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

Guess what? It gets even better.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

Congratulations
Old 04-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Happy first day of retirement and welcome to the club!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

I'm planning for my first day to be April Fools next year. I hope it goes as well.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Very happy for you. Best of luck beginning a new phase of life.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:01 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another thing is you don't need a bedtime, it is 2AM I am watching a movie, I can sleep when tired get up whenever. I accomplished nothing today again. You can sit and read a book without being on vacation. Two years down still working on one project, cleaning my house. I have donated a ton to charity and my boyfriend took another truck load yesterday. I hire people to do things I don't want to do but can spend entire days doing nothing without guilt.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! FWIW, it didn't take long to overcome the 3:30am "have to get up for work" habit.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When I first retired I felt odd being out and about during the day-like i wasn't supposed to be, etc. It sounds funny looking back at it. I had to train my dogs not to wake me up at 6:30 am. Like others I no longer get annoyed if things take longer. When I walk my dog I have time to chat with others, it is great. Congrats!!
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #18

Congrats!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats!! I too had my first day of retirement on April 1st. I still get up around 5am but I'm fine with that, I can take a nap. I've been packing, and packing, and packing as I am moving next weekend. I hope to really relax and take it easy for awhile after I get settled.
PamInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy your retirement!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote