Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.

And of course I couldn't live without my Tilley hat.
__________________

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Thought doctoring was kind of like the "once a marine, always a marine thing". Once a doctor always a doctor. When asked what i do i tell people i fix toilets for a living - even if i don't so much anymore. Be odd to transition into "i live on my savings and investments". Just doesn't have the same conversational zing.
__________________

__________________
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.

And of course I couldn't live without my Tilley hat.
Yep - we sure love our nylon clothing. Very practical. Even in cold weather we just add Capilene-type polyester long underwear underneath. Works well.

Audrey
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
You may need some "How to dress like a retiree pointers"
Priceless fashion statements.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.
I learned to love them when we lived in Tucson. The long sleeve and long legged pants were actually cooler in the hot sunny weather than their "shorts" counterparts. I have 4 Tilleys - you can't have too many.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Here ya go, Rich. Go horizontal this time around !



Men's Short Sleeve Wardrobe Stripe Mesh Polo Shirt from Lands' End

Doesn't Tiger Woods wear that shirt ? So instant sex appeal to the waitresses at Perkins .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Easter morning brunch party: "What kind of work do you do?" made me pause a second, then "I'm a doctor at Mount St. Elsewhere. [awkward pause] Actually I'm semi-retired as of last week."
I can see this will be something to give me pause as well. I plan to SR at the end of the month (plan is to work one day a week after that although it is somewhat up in the air). In my case, I am an attorney.

A couple of weeks ago I was at home on vacation all week getting things ready to move. We had some workmen in our house and it was obvious to me from some comments that they had the assumption that I was a, well, housewife (do they still use that term?). That bothered me since I've been a working outside the home wife since I got married and worked full time before marriage as well (didn't marry until late 30s). Maybe because I married "late" and was the only kid I knew during the 1960s whose mom worked outside the home I never got the idea of a non-working wife (I'm not against it so much as it just seemed a strange concept to me). So I hastened to make it clear that I was just on vacation and would normally be at work.

What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.
You'll get over all that and wake up one day to realize it doesn't matter anymore.
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.
Well one way to not feel weird about this is to just keep working.
__________________
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Addenda, following my first re-entry day (2 days a week):

Felt more like first day back from a short vacation because, in an effort not to bother me, my staff held on to almost everything. I think it's a training issue.

Flip: on. Flip: off. That's how I felt about almost instantly flipping into work mode mentally when I walked in the door and all day thereafter, equally dramatic "off" the moment I got into my car to return home. Not too bad, but noticeable.

Tomorrow ends my work week. I think I'm gonna like that 2-on, 5-off schedule.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.

Yup it happens. So much of my identity was lawyer that it can be odd not to have that identity out front. There still can be an assumption that a middle aged or older woman who isn't working has the role of wife and nothing much else. The competitor and feminist in me still bristles a bit at it, but not so much anymore. After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,359
Quote:
After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.
You say it like that's a bad thing !

Some ER's would love to be stereotyped as burnouts or losers.

It sure beats deep in debt wage slave.
__________________
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
There still can be an assumption that a middle aged or older woman who isn't working has the role of wife and nothing much else. The competitor and feminist in me still bristles a bit at it, but not so much anymore. After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.
Exactly. And I do realize that in some ways I may have it easier than a male my age would have and that the assumptions made about him would be more negative perhaps than those made me as a female. Unfair but there it is.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - we sure love our nylon clothing. Very practical. Even in cold weather we just add Capilene-type polyester long underwear underneath. Works well.

Audrey
plus when you travel you can just wash them in the sink.
and throw them on a hanger in the bathroom before going to sleep
they're dry in the morning..

last few trips i've done (a few days) i just brought
1 change of that type of clothing (while wearing another one)
and it worked out pretty well (for one person anyways)
__________________
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Onward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.
I deeply resemble that remark.
__________________
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
.

What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.

What surprised me as how many people really do not care what you did . They are interested in what you are doing now . What are your hobbies , your goals , do you play bridge , yoga , water aerobics ,travel,volunteer and what have you read or seen recently ? I have found a group of woman friends at the gym and we rarely discuss what our jobs were and when we occasionally do it is surprising what a diversified group we are .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,619
If you find yourself in a room full of people asking the question "So, what do you do?" (e.g., "...for work?", not "... all day?"), then it could be a sign that you need to seek a new room full of other people.

No one at my taekwondo dojang cares what I do or "who I was". I wouldn't even know most of their last names until we started hanging out after tournaments or other social occasions. Same for the people I surf with and the places that I'd volunteer. Same for our kid's school & teachers, though I've heard mutterings sounding like "Oh, that explains it..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Meadbh, I suspect I'll take that component of identity to my grave, and like you I am sure, one I am very proud of.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My husband and I still occasionally explain our behavior or thought processes as being from "a couple of engineers". Because even if you don't practice the profession any longer, certain training just becomes inherent and sticks - as does the body of knowledge.
When it becomes necessary to answer that question, I'll identify myself as a retired Navy submariner. If I get disbelieving looks then I'll say U.S. Navy.

And I've only had to show my ID card once.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was at home on vacation all week getting things ready to move. We had some workmen in our house and it was obvious to me from some comments that they had the assumption that I was a, well, housewife (do they still use that term?). That bothered me since I've been a working outside the home wife since I got married and worked full time before marriage as well (didn't marry until late 30s). Maybe because I married "late" and was the only kid I knew during the 1960s whose mom worked outside the home I never got the idea of a non-working wife (I'm not against it so much as it just seemed a strange concept to me). So I hastened to make it clear that I was just on vacation and would normally be at work.

What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.
Yeah - us poor retired folks. We're no better than a housewife/husband or stay-at-home mom/dad! We don't get no respect! Everyone thinks we're just slackers!!

Of course, most of us get over feeling like low-lifes really quick and think nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah! when we see the poor working stiffs driving off to work first thing Monday morning!



Audrey
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What surprised me as how many people really do not care what you did . They are interested in what you are doing now . What are your hobbies , your goals , do you play bridge , yoga , water aerobics ,travel,volunteer and what have you read or seen recently ? I have found a group of woman friends at the gym and we rarely discuss what our jobs were and when we occasionally do it is surprising what a diversified group we are .
Yep - that's the way it is for me now. What you did before or did professionally matters not one whit!

Audrey
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.

And of course I couldn't live without my Tilley hat.
Agree on the Tilleys. I wear a size 8 1/4 hat and they're the only ones I've ever found that fit; I have three of them.
__________________

__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I failed at ESR LOL! Life after FIRE 12 12-16-2009 09:50 PM
8 months in Germany - My impressions Trek Life after FIRE 29 08-07-2009 10:20 PM
ESR Job For TickTock? TickTock Life after FIRE 22 12-27-2007 10:39 AM
Starting ESR in December !!! fisherman FIRE and Money 6 10-14-2007 01:10 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.