Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Agree on the Tilleys. I wear a size 8 1/4 hat and they're the only ones I've ever found that fit; I have three of them.
It's funny why we bought Tilley hats.

Our old hats - we were out birdwatching as usual. Someone asks us - "are those Tilley hats?". We said - no. But decided we had better find out what theses "Tilley hats" were.

Of course, as soon as we did, we bought them!

Part of the birder's uniform, you know! Along with the expensive binocs.

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

sorry for the way off topic comment, but for the bird watchers out there, check out Ding Darling Preserve, Sanibel Island, next time you are in Florida.

there is also Corkscrew, near Naples

and 6 mile slough, in South Fort Myers (which actually borders Paseo, my neighbourhood)

Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Oh - definitely been to those places! Great birding and great bird photography. These are also in the general vicinity of Fort Myers.

"The Rookery" in Venice Florida
small picture - but that is a Great Blue Heron on nest with chick

White Ibis silhouettes at sunset, Gasparilla Sound FL

Burrowing Owl in Cape Coral FL

Audrey
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Those Men's Warehouse ads - those are such boring clothes!!

You retired fellas should aim for a look like this:

Audrey
Or this:

I call it fish watching. A little harder than bird watching as you have to coax them out of the water, though I put them right back.

Man, this is way off topic now.

By the way, that's not me. My beard is not that white and I am not that skinny.
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Or this:

I call it fish watching. A little harder than bird watching as you have to coax them out of the water, though I put them right back.

Man, this is way off topic now.

By the way, that's not me. My beard is not that white and I am not that skinny.
All right! Love the duds! - specially the waders.

Wait - that's not you in your retirement clothing?!!!!? I'm so disappointed.

Audrey
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #46

Congratulations Rich!
I work 3.5 days now and it is absolutely awesome
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I find that I'm still proudest to be able to say "I'm retired" when someone asks what I do. Don't think I've mentioned my old profession more than a dozen times since retiring almost 5 years ago. It's not that I wasn't proud of what I did, but that was then and this is now.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It's funny why we bought Tilley hats.

Our old hats - we were out birdwatching as usual. Someone asks us - "are those Tilley hats?". We said - no. But decided we had better find out what theses "Tilley hats" were.

Of course, as soon as we did, we bought them!

Part of the birder's uniform, you know! Along with the expensive binocs.

Audrey
Oh, gee...now I'm looking at Tilley hats. Reading this board get expensive.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I want to see more "Retired Fella" fashion statements! Surely you fellas out there have some good pics of yourselves wearing your "I'm retired" uniform?

Nords? TromboneAl? All you paddlers and bikers out there?

Let's help Rich out here with is new wardrobe!

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I want to see more "Retired Fella" fashion statements! Surely you fellas out there have some good pics of yourselves wearing your "I'm retired" uniform?

Nords? TromboneAl? All you paddlers and bikers out there?

Audrey

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Arrrrrgh!

Although I admit DH considers boxer shorts alone or with T-shirt as appropriate in-RV attire. However, IMO, he looks good that way!

But knock on the door, and I'm the one who has to run to answer it as DH ducks into the back room.

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I find that I'm still proudest to be able to say "I'm retired" when someone asks what I do. Don't think I've mentioned my old profession more than a dozen times since retiring almost 5 years ago. It's not that I wasn't proud of what I did, but that was then and this is now.
That is great!!

In my case, for some reason a lot (but certainly not all) of who I am is tied in with being an oceanographer. I spent so many years devoted to that field. Perhaps for similar reasons many/most of my fellow oceanographers choose to semi-retire rather than to fully retire, as I have done. Anyway, I have had no problems in saying "I'm a retired oceanographer" or "I was an oceanographer for many years, but I am now retired and enjoying it immensely!" without a twinge of guilt. That describes my career path perfectly.

Maybe it's easier for a woman to deal with the identity problems. On the other hand, nobody seems to assume that I had no career, as is the fear of some of our married female members so maybe I have it easy in that regard.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sure, right here: Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Profile: Nords

I've worn out two rash guards since that photo but the longboard is the same.

I've thought of wearing a ball cap when I surf but I'd spend too much time swimming after it. SPF30 works best for now.

Otherwise the only headgear I wear is a big ol' straw lifeguard hat for yardwork. I'll wear that out in public, too, if I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the sun, but the vast majority of my UV exposure is surfing & yardwork (in that order). Everyone here knows the best shady spots on the beach, and only the visitors are baking on the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In my case, for some reason a lot (but certainly not all) of who I am is tied in with being an oceanographer. I spent so many years devoted to that field. Perhaps for similar reasons many/most of my fellow oceanographers choose to semi-retire rather than to fully retire, as I have done. Anyway, I have had no problems in saying "I'm a retired oceanographer" or "I was an oceanographer for many years, but I am now retired and enjoying it immensely!" without a twinge of guilt. That describes my career path perfectly.
Maybe it's easier for a woman to deal with the identity problems. On the other hand, nobody seems to assume that I had no career, as is the fear of some of our married female members so maybe I have it easy in that regard.
Spouse's oceanography & meteorology training come in handy here but she's had no hesitation, let alone trouble, at laying them aside. I'll comment on the surf forecast or the weather and she'll say something like "I hope you can find someone to help you figure that out..." If I bring up a satellite photo, she grudgingly agrees to haul out of her recliner to come look at it.

In exchange I agree to operate & maintain any nuclear reactors that we need around the house...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #54

could a rich person actually keep one of those micro nuclear reactors in their house as a conversation piece...or would this violate neighbourhood zoning regs or something?
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Aha, an excuse for a twofer - my regular ER uniform and another shot of my new grandson:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Justin3w.jpg (212.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #56

We were just there in early March. We saw Roseate Spoonbills - our first pink bird. We also saw a bird that swam underwater, what we think was a Cormorant. I saw a giant turtle of some sort but it was in a drainage ditch at an outlet mall. I noticed it as we drove by on the main road. It was gone by the time we turned around and looked for it. No gators anywhere. The gator section of Ding Darling was roped off, we have no idea why.

Mike D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
sorry for the way off topic comment, but for the bird watchers out there, check out Ding Darling Preserve, Sanibel Island, next time you are in Florida.

there is also Corkscrew, near Naples

and 6 mile slough, in South Fort Myers (which actually borders Paseo, my neighbourhood)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
We were just there in early March. We saw Roseate Spoonbills - our first pink bird. We also saw a bird that swam underwater, what we think was a Cormorant.
I'm guessing you saw an anhinga - they really dive and fish for quite a while, have a narrow snake-like neck, and when swimming they sit quite low on the surface given somewhat porous wing feathers. Pretty common in this area.

May have been a cormorant, but they are a bit more ducky. Sometimes you get to see sizeable groups of wood storks out here - like I saw on the golf course this morning. Huge wingspan.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
could a rich person actually keep one of those micro nuclear reactors in their house as a conversation piece...or would this violate neighbourhood zoning regs or something?
Gosh, doesn't say anything about it in our homeowner's association rulebook-- must be OK with them!

I guess we'd have to get some sort of license from that meddling Nuclear Regulatory Commission, but it'd probably be a lot cheaper (and faster) to just buy the uranium on the black market...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Aha, an excuse for a twofer - my regular ER uniform and another shot of my new grandson:
Very nice! I heartily approve both outfits! Especially the pants on the newborn - very cute!

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
This is beautiful.