Join Early Retirement Today

First impressions just 5 days after ESR
Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

First impressions just 5 days after ESR

First impressions barely into ESR - some may be honeymoon stage stuff, others may prove wrong, and others may prove to be true longer term. But these thoughts fade fast so I thought I'd throw them out there:

• Though this is a bustling city, the streets around us seem almost abandoned on week days.
  • We are lingering at the table more after meals.
  • An anticipated compulsion to call into the office to check on things never materialized. In fact, I have thought of work little this week.
  • Most envious (in a good-natured way) of all my friends so far are the other 3 guys in my golf group. But that's because they would play everday (I'm probably good for once or twice a week).
  • We want a dog again (3 years of dog-lessness).
  • Easter morning brunch party: "What kind of work do you do?" made me pause a second, then "I'm a doctor at Mount St. Elsewhere. [awkward pause] Actually I'm semi-retired as of last week."
  • I'm gonna need new clothes.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Don't be surprised if one day soon you start singing "tra la la la la"...then......

.....but don't worry, it's a symptom of giddiness.

giddy:

Frivolous and lighthearted; flighty.

Warning....don't try to cure it.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great observations. Sometimes I try and imagine what it will be like and it is hard. I know what it will, or maybe should, feel like, but it's hard to imagine feeling that way. I'll find out soon enough. Glad you seem to be enjoying it.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Buy clothes that make you look like you are doing something even if you are not . I bought several gym outfits so it looks like I am always on my way to or from the gym . Plus they don't wrinkle during nap time and those elastic waists can be handy . Enjoy !
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Sandals, shorts, T shirts. Shouldn't blow the budget.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

Savor everything Rich, even the odd emotions, and ease into your new life.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congradulations Rich! You won!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?
Good observation. How 'bout this as a reply to "the question"?

Oh, and I would suggest you remove your shirt and don a fringed jacket like Daltrey prior to delivering your response
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Meadbh, I suspect I'll take that component of identity to my grave, and like you I am sure, one I am very proud of.

But I'd like it to be just one part among many others. Balance, and all that. After all, to my grand kids I'm Boppa - sounds much better than Doctor .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Sandals, shorts, T shirts. Shouldn't blow the budget.
Have you been peeking in my closet? Definitely need more of all he above, though as a Gulf Coaster I have plenty.

And I need more of those green button down shirts with gray stripes. The kind Al likes.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I need more of those green button down shirts with gray stripes. The kind Al likes.
I usually wear Ts and shorts/jeans. But, as the guy at Men's Warehouse says, "I like the way I look" in button down shirts. Unfortunately, I have a hard time putting them on since I feel like I should save them for "going out occasions." Some sort of ER/LBYM neurosis.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
First impressions barely into ESR - some may be honeymoon stage stuff, others may prove wrong, and others may prove to be true longer term. But these thoughts fade fast so I thought I'd throw them out there:

• Though this is a bustling city, the streets around us seem almost abandoned on week days.
  • We are lingering at the table more after meals.
  • An anticipated compulsion to call into the office to check on things never materialized. In fact, I have thought of work little this week.
  • Most envious (in a good-natured way) of all my friends so far are the other 3 guys in my golf group. But that's because they would play everday (I'm probably good for once or twice a week).
  • We want a dog again (3 years of dog-lessness).
  • Easter morning brunch party: "What kind of work do you do?" made me pause a second, then "I'm a doctor at Mount St. Elsewhere. [awkward pause] Actually I'm semi-retired as of last week."
These sound really familiar. For us lingering at the table went from an occasional thing to a basic part of our daily routine - and most enjoyable,
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Meadbh, I suspect I'll take that component of identity to my grave, and like you I am sure, one I am very proud of.
But I'd like it to be just one part among many others. Balance, and all that. After all, to my grand kids I'm Boppa - sounds much better than Doctor .
This struck a chord with me...when I first FIREd I would jokingly refer to myself as a Household Engineer and the Program Manager of my own life.
I will always be an engineer in spirit...analyzing requirements, designing systems, doing experiments, planning programs, building things.
The big difference now is that my garden, my traveling adventures, and poor dh2b will be the recipients of my talents.

PS Boppa, huh?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Here ya go, Rich. Go horizontal this time around !

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ShortSlee...s+stripe+shirt
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My husband and I still occasionally explain our behavior or thought processes as being from "a couple of engineers". Because even if you don't practice the profession any longer, certain training just becomes inherent and sticks - as does the body of knowledge.

But most of the time I refer to my husband as a nature photographer since that is his favorite thing to do all day. And me? Well - I have no excuses.....

Fortunately we're around mostly retired folks, so there isn't much explaining required.....(other than our youth)

Audrey
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
And that makes shopping, visiting museums, going to the library or the movies, and hanging out at cafes and coffee shops extremely pleasant!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm gonna need new clothes.
You may need some "How to dress like a retiree pointers"

Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I usually wear Ts and shorts/jeans. But, as the guy at Men's Warehouse says, "I like the way I look" in button down shirts. Unfortunately, I have a hard time putting them on since I feel like I should save them for "going out occasions." Some sort of ER/LBYM neurosis.
Those Men's Warehouse ads - those are such boring clothes!!

You retired fellas should aim for a look like this:

Audrey
Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Plus one on the dog. After about 12 years of doglessness, I'm happily back under the care and direction of a dog. I find that I'm a much better doggie daddy now with more time to spend interacting and training. As a result it seems to be a higher quality relationship than I had with my prior pooch. An added bonus is that I absolutely will take her for at least a two mile walk everyday, so there is no rationalizing skipped exercise.