First impressions just 5 days after ESR

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
First impressions barely into ESR - some may be honeymoon stage stuff, others may prove wrong, and others may prove to be true longer term. But these thoughts fade fast so I thought I'd throw them out there:

• Though this is a bustling city, the streets around us seem almost abandoned on week days.
  • We are lingering at the table more after meals.
  • An anticipated compulsion to call into the office to check on things never materialized. In fact, I have thought of work little this week.
  • Most envious (in a good-natured way) of all my friends so far are the other 3 guys in my golf group. But that's because they would play everday (I'm probably good for once or twice a week).
  • We want a dog again (3 years of dog-lessness).
  • Easter morning brunch party: "What kind of work do you do?" made me pause a second, then "I'm a doctor at Mount St. Elsewhere. [awkward pause] Actually I'm semi-retired as of last week."
  • I'm gonna need new clothes.

Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?

Don't be surprised if one day soon you start singing "tra la la la la"...then......
sHa_runaround.gif

.....but don't worry, it's a symptom of giddiness.

giddy:

Frivolous and lighthearted; flighty.

Warning....don't try to cure it. :)

Great observations. Sometimes I try and imagine what it will be like and it is hard. I know what it will, or maybe should, feel like, but it's hard to imagine feeling that way. I'll find out soon enough. Glad you seem to be enjoying it.

Buy clothes that make you look like you are doing something even if you are not . I bought several gym outfits so it looks like I am always on my way to or from the gym . Plus they don't wrinkle during nap time and those elastic waists can be handy . Enjoy !

Savor everything Rich, even the odd emotions, and ease into your new life. :dance:

Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?

Good observation. How 'bout this as a reply to "the question"?

YouTube - The Who - I'm Free

Oh, and I would suggest you remove your shirt and don a fringed jacket like Daltrey prior to delivering your response :flowers:

Meadbh, I suspect I'll take that component of identity to my grave, and like you I am sure, one I am very proud of.

But I'd like it to be just one part among many others. Balance, and all that. After all, to my grand kids I'm Boppa - sounds much better than Doctor ;).

Sandals, shorts, T shirts. Shouldn't blow the budget.;)
Have you been peeking in my closet? Definitely need more of all he above, though as a Gulf Coaster I have plenty.

And I need more of those green button down shirts with gray stripes. The kind Al likes.

And I need more of those green button down shirts with gray stripes. The kind Al likes.
I usually wear Ts and shorts/jeans. But, as the guy at Men's Warehouse says, "I like the way I look" in button down shirts. Unfortunately, I have a hard time putting them on since I feel like I should save them for "going out occasions." Some sort of ER/LBYM neurosis.

First impressions barely into ESR - some may be honeymoon stage stuff, others may prove wrong, and others may prove to be true longer term. But these thoughts fade fast so I thought I'd throw them out there:

• Though this is a bustling city, the streets around us seem almost abandoned on week days.
  • We are lingering at the table more after meals.
  • An anticipated compulsion to call into the office to check on things never materialized. In fact, I have thought of work little this week.
  • Most envious (in a good-natured way) of all my friends so far are the other 3 guys in my golf group. But that's because they would play everday (I'm probably good for once or twice a week).
  • We want a dog again (3 years of dog-lessness).
  • Easter morning brunch party: "What kind of work do you do?" made me pause a second, then "I'm a doctor at Mount St. Elsewhere. [awkward pause] Actually I'm semi-retired as of last week."
  • I'm gonna need new clothes.
These sound really familiar. For us lingering at the table went from an occasional thing to a basic part of our daily routine - and most enjoyable,

Meadbh, I suspect I'll take that component of identity to my grave, and like you I am sure, one I am very proud of.
But I'd like it to be just one part among many others. Balance, and all that. After all, to my grand kids I'm Boppa - sounds much better than Doctor ;).
This struck a chord with me...when I first FIREd I would jokingly refer to myself as a Household Engineer and the Program Manager of my own life.
I will always be an engineer in spirit...analyzing requirements, designing systems, doing experiments, planning programs, building things.
The big difference now is that my garden, my traveling adventures, and poor dh2b will be the recipients of my talents. :cool:

PS Boppa, huh? :blush:

My husband and I still occasionally explain our behavior or thought processes as being from "a couple of engineers". Because even if you don't practice the profession any longer, certain training just becomes inherent and sticks - as does the body of knowledge.

But most of the time I refer to my husband as a nature photographer since that is his favorite thing to do all day. And me? Well - I have no excuses.....

Fortunately we're around mostly retired folks, so there isn't much explaining required.....(other than our youth)

Audrey

I usually wear Ts and shorts/jeans. But, as the guy at Men's Warehouse says, "I like the way I look" in button down shirts. Unfortunately, I have a hard time putting them on since I feel like I should save them for "going out occasions." Some sort of ER/LBYM neurosis.
Those Men's Warehouse ads - those are such boring clothes!!

You retired fellas should aim for a look like this:

john-in-bug-hunting-dress225.jpg

Audrey

Plus one on the dog. After about 12 years of doglessness, I'm happily back under the care and direction of a dog. I find that I'm a much better doggie daddy now with more time to spend interacting and training. As a result it seems to be a higher quality relationship than I had with my prior pooch. An added bonus is that I absolutely will take her for at least a two mile walk everyday, so there is no rationalizing skipped exercise.

When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.

And of course I couldn't live without my Tilley hat.

Thought doctoring was kind of like the "once a marine, always a marine thing". Once a doctor always a doctor. When asked what i do i tell people i fix toilets for a living - even if i don't so much anymore. Be odd to transition into "i live on my savings and investments". Just doesn't have the same conversational zing.

When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.

And of course I couldn't live without my Tilley hat.
Yep - we sure love our nylon clothing. Very practical. Even in cold weather we just add Capilene-type polyester long underwear underneath. Works well.

Audrey

I learned to love them when we lived in Tucson. The long sleeve and long legged pants were actually cooler in the hot sunny weather than their "shorts" counterparts. I have 4 Tilleys - you can't have too many.

Back
Top Bottom