Join Early Retirement Today

First post-FIRE "Holiday Weekend" except now it's not really
Old 07-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

First post-FIRE "Holiday Weekend" except now it's not really

3:20 pm on a Friday heading into what would have been one of those glorious reprieves - the 3 day weekend! The kind where everyone is out of the office and you don't even need to check email.............ahhhh

Oh wait I retired 3 weeks ago, so it's just...days. Oh and bugger that means i have to leave the house Monday for a family bbq.

(FIRE'd ppl problems - not that I'm complaining)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, you will soon learn that the 3-day weekends are terrible for us retirees. The stores stay crowded, the airports are crazy and well the roads..oh, the roads! I normally look very forward to Mondays, but this week I have to shift my love of other's requirement to work to Tuesday.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only nice part is that you can shift your travel without using up precious vacation days. Leave on Thursday, come back Tues or Weds, something like that. Or don't even bother with those busy times, wait for a non-holiday week and go to the beach or wherever from Mon-Thurs.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Oh and bugger that means i have to leave the house Monday for a family bbq.
Yeah, we have one tomorrow an hour away, and one on Monday that is 2 1/2 hours away. I really do like seeing the people but I wish they weren't so far away.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The only nice part is that you can shift your travel without using up precious vacation days. Leave on Thursday, come back Tues or Weds, something like that. Or don't even bother with those busy times, wait for a non-holiday week and go to the beach or wherever from Mon-Thurs.
so true! A couple years ago, DH and I were having such a wonderful time on a beach in Ft Walton on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. When I say wonderful, i really mean WONDERFUL...... then, all of a sudden, the next morning on the beach was a totally different scene. It took us a few minutes to realize it was a Saturday, which brought all these families with small children.

Live and learn.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
so true! A couple years ago, DH and I were having such a wonderful time on a beach in Ft Walton on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. When I say wonderful, i really mean WONDERFUL...... then, all of a sudden, the next morning on the beach was a totally different scene. It took us a few minutes to realize it was a Saturday, which brought all these families with small children.

Live and learn.
Oye...the Gulf Coast of Florida. Most of the folks I went to HS that stayed in town (read between the lines; they aren't retiring anytime soon) still make an annual pilgrimage to "PCB" (Panama City Beach) like they are in 10th grade and are going on Spring Break to party like it's 1992. They post tons of pictures trying to make others jealous of their "vacation" to the Redneck Riviera. To me, that would be hell on earth; anytime of the year. I much prefer beaches that are little known to others; perhaps that is why I so disliked our Aruba trip last month...too many people!