First Retirement Project

UncleHoney

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just finished the first of a long list of furniture projects on the retirement list.

A mahogany reading/game table for the family room.
The chairs were purchased.

table2.jpg

That is gorgeous! You must have quite a sense of accomplishment from finishing such a beautiful piece. I look forward to seeing pictures of more of your furniture projects.

Beautiful! The mahogany bookcase that I sold at my auction would have went with it perfectly. You would have had a second project first tho since it was a little old and worn. Very nice.

Don't think of it as old and worn. Think of it as having a wonderfull patina developed over the years. :D

Wade

Thanks everyone for the comments. Next up is a set of endtables with granite tops.

I'm working on the design now, something in the campaign style.

Still trying to decide on the wood, DW wants mahogany. I'm thinking something a little lighter with more character, maybe hickory.

Boy, that is one great looking table. You did a great job of matching the finish to the chairs too.
And....you have pictures to hand out when someone asks you "whadda ya do all day?"

Really beautiful craftsmanship. I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to attempt something like that.

I have a friend that can build furniture really well. When he realized he could build the same furniture that sells on ebay for 2 grand for 150 bucks, he quit his job and retired hehe.

I am always impressed by people that can actually build things. I was always pretty
good on a computer keyboard, but any foray into the real world resulted in gouged
flesh and destroyed raw materials.

Beautiful piece!

Some questions from a would-be furniture maker:

Do you buy rough-cut/plane your own?

Where do you get mahogany?

Do you use a mortise attachment on a drill press, and/or a tenon jig?

The top is edge-glued, biscuited, splined, other?

What final finish?

Beautiful piece!

What final finish?

Thanks HFWR.

I usually start with rough sawn boards that have been kiln dried, if I can find them. I like rough sawn boards because I can size each piece to the exact dimensions and spend less time worrying about warp and twist in a piece of planed-to-size material. I have a jointer and planer for working the rough sawn boards.

Mahogany lumber is readily available from most hardwood suppliers. A little browsing on the web should find one close to you. I buy some of my hardwood from Willis Lumber Co., Inc in Washington Court House, Ohio. I also use local sources like Woodworking Tools and Supplies | Wood Werks Supply Inc..

My stash of mahogany came from a old time lumber company that closed a few years in Columbus, Ohio. Some beautiful boards, some 14 feet long 14 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick and not a flaw in them.

For the leg/apron joints I used mortises cut with a Delta mortise machine. The tenons were cut with dado cutters on the table saw. I used the dado cutters for the tenons because the long side pieces were a little too long to stand on end with my tenon jig.

The top was just edge glued without any biscuits or dowels. There was plenty glue surface for a good strong joint since the top is about 1 1/16 inch thick.

Finish was H Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top varnish. Five coats with a lot of elbow grease wet sanding and rubbing out the final coat. I usually use spray lacquer on my projects but wanted a harder finish on the table top. The jury is still out on the amount of time the varnish takes compared to the harder finsih.

For the mahogany color I use a combination of water stains and Bartley's paste pigmented stain.

Ron

Beautiful piece!

What final finish?

One of my specialties is baby cradles, in the past 10 years I've designed and built seven different ones. The full sized cradle is cherry and was done in 2000. The walnut cradle is a 1/3 scale reproduction done last winter, it's only about 18 inches tall.

Some of my cradles have been used by 3 babies.

cradle1a.jpg

cradle.jpg

These are beautiful and the craftsmanship appears to be meticulous. I doubt I could afford your work. Is this strictly a hobby or do you sell any of it?

These are beautiful and the craftsmanship appears to be meticulous. I doubt I could afford your work. Is this strictly a hobby or do you sell any of it?

Thanks TexasGal.

Right now I'm just doing stuff as a hobby but plan one of these days to sell some pieces.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom