Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

First week in Retirement
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

First week in Retirement

Friday the 27th of April was my last day and I have been so busy I haven't been on the computer. All the things I said I was going to take the time to do, ie exercise, expand my gardens and read for example. I find I have no desire to turn the computer on or read a webpage or turn TV on.

Anyway, I feel great and am so much more relaxed. 52 years old and out of the workforce for good. I'll post on a rainy day some of the funny leaving the workplace comments I got.
savedapile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: First week in Retirement
Old 05-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your first week. I am looking forward to being camped next to a lake during my first week of stress decompression (chill'n out) and work-induced anxiety syndrome (burn out).
Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!

It would be nice if you could share how you're making out & any surprises you find... on an ir-regular basis ofcourse!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats,

Yes, stay in touch as your new fun schedule allows.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats
Welcome to the club
Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #6

Congrats, Savedapile!

Enjoy! Take your time.

We 'decompressed' after all those years of working by moving to a tropical island and chilled out for 6 months - sailing the Caribbean down to Venezuela... then back 'home' to the States. Except we didn't have a home to go to by that time.

Just take it slooowly. It's fun to be technology free! 8)

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Less than 30 days to retirement and can't wait to face this question.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #8

As I remember, it took 8 weeks to totally relax. The first 4 weeks were dramatic the next 4 less so but still noticeable. Welcome to the club.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #9

Enjoy your retirement! You've taken a very important step toward having more time to appreciate life to the fullest. Work will no longer stand in the way in your pursuit of freedom.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #10

Congratulations! Enjoy your new found freedom!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on the big day!

I'm only about six weeks into this thing and I'm finding that what Bikerdude said about it taking about 8 weeks to totally relax is pretty true. Of course, I was forced out earlier than I had anticipated, so I went "cold turkey" into this thing...but as each week goes by I'm loving it more and more.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!

Don't look behind you... there are a number of us following as fast as we can!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

Definitely let us know how you are doing--it might be encouraging to the rest of us on the other side!
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

our normal day is now sleeping until we wake up, and doing exactly what we want. We eat when we want. We walk (saw snakes, turtles and a fox yesterday), ride down the road to check out the Eagles nest, read, tend gardens, bicycle etc. We have seen a local University play and some local live music but have little desire to go anywhere. We love our house and are very happy just to putter around. DH fooled around in the basement and made a few planter boxes for me. I have done some sewing. We went to the big county library and just browsed around for a few hours and came home with some very interesting books. We have been converting to a vegetarian diet so some meals are quite the adventure. Homemade wholegrain bread is always fresh. Restaurants and malls have no appeal to me.

We will probably not travel until January except to get to the King Tut exhibit in Philadelphia we heard was fabulous. We are about an hour from the Adirondacks and this area is outstanding in the summer and fall. Fall we get a new Daughter in law and we'll celebrate Christmas early December so the DIL's can go to their own families, as the holidays have little significance for us.

Maybe Thailand, maybe somewhere in Europe, or some deserted Island will beacon us by then but maybe not. We are big time decompressing. The computer and TV hold no appeal. Some days we don't drive at all, which will continue to decrease.

Life is good.
savedapile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedapile
our normal day is now sleeping until we wake up, and doing exactly what we want. We eat when we want. We walk (saw snakes, turtles and a fox yesterday), ride down the road to check out the Eagles nest, read, tend gardens, bicycle etc. We have seen a local University play and some local live music but have little desire to go anywhere. We love our house and are very happy just to putter around. DH fooled around in the basement and made a few planter boxes for me. I have done some sewing. We went to the big county library and just browsed around for a few hours and came home with some very interesting books. We have been converting to a vegetarian diet so some meals are quite the adventure. Homemade wholegrain bread is always fresh. Restaurants and malls have no appeal to me.
Sounds wonderful! This is what many of us are longing for. Thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #16

Congrats! We're coming right up behind you.... 51 days and a wake up....
Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired September 29th, 2006. I was forced out at age 59-1/2 but am so glad it worked out that way. I was so worried about finances since we don't have the million dollar bank account that "they" say you have to have. Its so freeing to have each day to do exactly what you want and to answer to no one.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo
I was so worried about finances since we don't have the million dollar bank account that "they" say you have to have.
Glo,
How did you overcome your worries?
ww.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote