Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #21

Thanks for the tips, Al. That rod mount is exactly what I need. I'll probably get a basket instead of a stringer. Last time I used a stringer, turtles ate my fish.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Fishing. Someone Stop Me!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Fishing. Someone Stop Me!

I have to ask, I've been lusting after a Hobie Angler as my solo craft. Any kayakers that have an opinion of the value proposition vs a cheaper standard paddler?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have Hobies. Invaluable. Two rod holders, room for cooler. Strap the net to side. Peddles go four times faster than rowing, and you can fish at the same time. Try to rent one or demo. Our charter had them.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #24

Sounds like a great life and love the pictures. I love to fish and fish a lot in spring and summer on the river where I own land. It is addicting no need to stop.

I'm looking forward to ice fishing soon. The ice had started but will be a few more weeks before I will go.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #25

I LOVE fishing from my kayak - probably my favorite outdoor activity. I've been kayak fishing for over 10 years now. I fish around here (northern Michigan) for bluegills, bass, and crappies in the spring/summer. In the winter, we go to Texas, where I kayak fish for redfish, spotted seatrout, black drum in the saltwater. This winter, we are staying on a river in Texas, where I will be kayak fishing for catfish, white bass, and crappies. Kayak fishing is great fun, and it provides some great food for the family also. I only keep enough fish for a meal on each kayak outing (if I am lucky enough to catch fish).........anything beyond that gets released. I rarely fish from a regular boat anymore........kayak fishing is just much more fun!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
>1. What do you do with your rod and reel when you catch a fish? Do you have a place on your kayak to mount the rod while you remove the fish?

Yes, I have a great rod mount:

>2. Where do you put the fish after you catch them? In a mesh basket or stringer attached to the outside of the kayak?

I use a stringer. You can see a trout on the stringer in this picture. It's deeper than it looks (four feet?).

When I paddle, the fish is dragged behind the kayak. More fish torturing. It doesn't kill them, but it doesn't seem pleasant.

>English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian". I may have seen happier people, but I don't recall when!

Wonderful story!
I guess in S. Oregon you don't need to defend your catch (and your boat) against the Sea Lions now frequenting the Columbia River and eating our salmon.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I dug out the fly fishing equipment this year for the first time in a decade. I was catching native brook trout all summer. The flavor of the fish is so wonderful compared to the stocked ones. I'm hooked on fly fishing again....no pun intended. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dislike the idea of catch and release. You leave that poor fish with a hole in its mouth! I keep imagining one of them going out on a date... can't look cool with your martini leaking down your chin. Poor fishy.

Catching to eat, on the other hand, yum!

But I don't fish, so what do I know.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only kill a fish if it's big enough for the both of us. Mostly catfish and it's real tough to kill a catfish. I have to shoot them through the head with a pellet rifle to make sure they are dead before I skin them.

Karma. Please shoot me through the head before you skin me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I only kill a fish if it's big enough for the both of us. Mostly catfish and it's real tough to kill a catfish. I have to shoot them through the head with a pellet rifle to make sure they are dead before I skin them.

Karma. Please shoot me through the head before you skin me. Thanks.
I used to catch and eat a lot of catfish. A tool such as a large screwdriver through the head is very effective.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
I have to ask, I've been lusting after a Hobie Angler as my solo craft. Any kayakers that have an opinion of the value proposition vs a cheaper standard paddler?
It's a great choice. Here's why I didn't go with something like that:

1. It weighs over 100 pounds. My canoe was only 55 pounds, and it was unwieldly to put on and off the truck.
  2. It's too long to fit in the bed of the truck.
  3. A sit-inside kayak is warmer in cools weather.
  4. My kayak was cheap ($320 on Craigslist + $100 for flotation bags, which enable me to self-rescue).
Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you kidding me, it sounds like heaven! Keep it up! Besides, everyone needs a good piece of bass once in a while!

Old 11-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I dislike the idea of catch and release. You leave that poor fish with a hole in its mouth!
I realize you're joking, but I'm another catch & release fisherman (well, most of the time) and I use a barbless hook so it comes out easily and the hole heals up easily.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm looking forward to trying to wear out my boat when I retire. The last 2 years I have been lucky to get out 2 or 3 times due to w*rk demands. I like filling the freezer for the winter and to have a few fish fries for friends and family. Fish also makes a nice give away for the neighbors who like fish but don't have the chance. I have a close friend that retired almost 2 years ago and I get texts and pictures from him during the week showing the days fishing trip. He just does it to irritate me! Next year I want to be in those pictures on Wednesday afternoons fishing when nobody else is around. Much more relaxing and enjoyable than fighting the crowds on the weekends. Sorry Al, I would be a fishing enabler I guess.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

You couldnt pay me enough to eat fresh water fish.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
You couldnt pay me enough to eat fresh water fish.
You haven’t caught and eaten some of the incredible fresh water fish that I have then. This summers winner was a big rainbow trout caught in the icy and crystal clean waters of Georgian Bay, Ontario. Was cooked on two big cedar planks within hours of being caught and it was delicious. Fed 8 people.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #37

And Walleye? Great fish
Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I started fishing again this year after many years away from it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I got to the lake and set that first hook in a nice Large mouth. I do catch and release because cleaning fish spoils the enjoyment for me. I do love to eat fish though. I have a young grandson age 7 that is going with me to fish. He is a natural it seems as he caught 8 fish in about 2 hours our first time out. He is now lure fishing because he thinks it is more fair to the fish... plus he kind of likes worms so not so big on feeding them onto a hook.

I won't try to talk you out of it, more likely to ask why you aren't going the other 4 or 5 days of the week.

VW
Old 11-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittinginthesun View Post
You haven’t caught and eaten some of the incredible fresh water fish that I have then. This summers winner was a big rainbow trout caught in the icy and crystal clean waters of Georgian Bay, Ontario. Was cooked on two big cedar planks within hours of being caught and it was delicious. Fed 8 people.
This girl tasted pretty great.

20171020_114615.jpg20171020_190036(0).jpg
Old 11-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like a nice one. Just picked up b.o.a.t. From getting a new starter. Not enough people on the water to continue daring fate with the way it's been starting (or not) this summer. Talk about 1st world problems.

I'm primarily catch and release but keep a bunch of crappie once or twice a year. Hopefully find some white bass schooling tomorrow.