Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am very fortunate to have one of the premier big smallmouth fisheries anywhere in my front yard. I go down 27 steps, punch a button and my boat lowers into the water.

We also keep a RV in the North Georgia mountains. I know of a trout stream closeby with 100+ trout of all kinds and none are under 10 pounds in size.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
You couldnt pay me enough to eat fresh water fish.
You haven't had my bluegill fish fry, either (usually made with fresh fish caught that morning). I have yet to find someone who didn't enjoy it.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
plus he kind of likes worms so not so big on feeding them onto a hook.
VW
When worms were working so well, I bought 250 European nightcrawlers, and I'm raising them in a worm bin (okay, a five-gallon pail). Kind of a fun hobby in itself and more tricky than I expected.

So that means I'm putting my babies onto the hooks.

Worms saved me from getting skunked today.

With the rains, the lagoon has risen so much so that this whole area is now underwater:

Today I had to park on the road that goes to the beach.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When worms were working so well, I bought 250 European nightcrawlers, and I'm raising them in a worm bin (okay, a five-gallon pail). Kind of a fun hobby in itself and more tricky than I expected.

So that means I'm putting my babies onto the hooks.

Worms saved me from getting skunked today.

With the rains, the lagoon has risen so much so that this whole area is now underwater:

Today I had to park on the road that goes to the beach.

I won't tell the Grandson about you hooking your "babies". It might give him nightmares!!!!

Water is sure high in the photos.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #45

Between my wife and me, we caught 9 different species of fish (several trout) yesterday off our kayaks. She did better again

Wife: Lady fish, Red fish, Snook, Lizard fish
Me: Jack Crevalle, Sheepshead
Both: Trout, Pin fish
Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Nice.

The problem with raising my own worms is that ours is a low-carb household. Most of our waste can't go into the worm bin.

So you know what we do? You guys are gonna love this.

When we go to Costco, we get samples for the worms! Today, my worms are getting Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates, Lindt truffles, pasta with pesto, and chocolate-covered almonds.

I put all that in the food processor with some buns from Burger King, and mix it up. Party time in the worm bin today!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #47

We use to put coffee grounds in the worm bin
Old 12-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #48

Silly completely novice question: I was under the impression going out alone for canoe & fishing like this is discouraged?

Or put differently: If I'd wanted to pick this up myself (being a novice), is that ok?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Silly completely novice question: I was under the impression going out alone for canoe & fishing like this is discouraged?

Or put differently: If I'd wanted to pick this up myself (being a novice), is that ok?
Yes, you can kayak or canoe by yourself..........I do it all the time. If you've never been in a canoe/kayak, however, I would certainly advise trying one out first, in shallow water where there is no safety issue if you do tip over or have another problem of some kind. Having an experienced kayaker go with you the first time or two would be helpful, also. And of course, always wear a life vest. I've been canoeing and kayaking since I was a kid, so I feel completely comfortable in either craft (I do prefer the kayak, though). I've never tipped my kayak over (it is very stable), but I don't go out in big waves or very windy weather, either. A few friends of mine go sea kayaking out in Lake Superior, and that is a different ballgame........the water is COLD, and there is a lot more wind, so they take even more safety precautions. I'm happy sticking to the inland lakes, or close to shore in the salt water bays - plenty of fish for me in both places, and the scenery is great, so no need to go elsewhere.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Between my wife and me, we caught 9 different species of fish (several trout) yesterday off our kayaks. She did better again

Wife: Lady fish, Red fish, Snook, Lizard fish
Me: Jack Crevalle, Sheepshead
Both: Trout, Pin fish
By the mix of fish species, I'm guessing you are in South Florida? We catch seatrout, sheepshead, and redfish along the Texas Coast, but I do love going to the Bahamas to fish for snapper, grouper, jack crevalle, and snook also
Old 12-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #51

Saint Joseph Sound near Dunedin. It's about half way down the west coast of Florida. There is a little inlet from the Gulf of Mexico between Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island. We've caught Spanish Mackerel, Popano, and others
Old 12-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

My worms haven't laid eggs yet, so I have to figure out a SWR for them. I started with 250. I've been taking out about ten per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

There are a lot of variables that make a difference. I'm at greater risk because the air and water are cold and if I got in trouble, no one would see me.

But I'm never far from shore, I have "dry pants" (no jokes please), and I've added flotation bags to my kayak. I've also practiced self rescuing.

Paddling.com will give you great advice, but be aware that they are going to tell you you need a more-expensive kayak, you need professional kayak lessons, you should see a doctor immediately, and so on.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #53

Feeling sorry for the fish, maybe try fly fishing from your Kayak. More of a challenge and more exercise for you
Old 12-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
We use to put coffee grounds in the worm bin
So do I it gives the worms a beautiful color also.