Join Early Retirement Today

Fishing. Someone Stop Me!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm really into fishing these days. Too much so. I go two to three times per week.

I stopped fishing a few years ago because:
  1. Loading up the canoe was a big hassle.
  2. I could rarely catch something we could eat and that tasted good.
  3. I felt sorry for the fish.
Things are different now.

Solving problem 1, I now have a thirty-six pound kayak that I can load into the truck in minutes.

For problem 2, I've gotten pretty good at catching wild cutthroat trout, which taste good (not like stocked trout). I mostly fish catch-and-release, but I bring home about one fish per week.

I've found that the bass taste even better.

I rationalize torturing the fish (problem 3) because they are attacking my lures and worms, so it's reasonable that I attack them.

But perhaps most importantly, the fishing is an excuse to be out on the kayak. It's really beautiful out there on Big Lagoon, and I'm often the only one around.

It feels weird to go so often, but when it's not cold and there isn't much wind, I can't resist.

You can see more pictures here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

That is a beautiful area. I have some nice pictures of the lagoons.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have overcome all three problems as well

1. My wife designed and built a hanging kayak setup. We moved closer to fishing, so popping the two kayaks and gear in the back of the SUV is easy.
2. Any time we don't catch redfish (our keeper target), we write it off as a good day kayaking
3. The fish are likely to die by getting eaten by a porpoise or other bigger fish. I just steal myself from the emotion.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nice area, Al, looks peaceful and inviting. Great job catching the native trout!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not only do bass taste better, they put up a much better fight IME.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that once you get things set up correctly there's little reason not to be on the water. Bass, crappie, an occasional walley, no trout though.

Guess I'm not one to talk you out of it.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1510544762.307663.jpg
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes proper setup is important. I would not suggest you stop fishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6957.jpg (1.02 MB, 63 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm from the camp that believes any animal (be it fish, fowl,or 4 legged critter) that you harvest will have a much less torturous demise than any animal remnants you pick up at the grocery store.

When I taught my son to hunt, I explained to him that animals in the wild usually die from disease, starvation, or as prey from other animals (no CCRC's for them).

Fish on & Hunt on!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #9

Thanks for posting, Al. Looks like fun! I'd like to try fishing from my kayak but have some questions.

1. What do you do with your rod and reel when you catch a fish? Do you have a place on your kayak to mount the rod while you remove the fish?

2. Where do you put the fish after you catch them? In a mesh basket or stringer attached to the outside of the kayak?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Also agree - why would you stop fishing?

It's not all about writing books is it?

You are really enjoying your retirement I think!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
....It's not all about writing books is it?....

Maybe Al's getting material for his next book - one where an old man takes to the sea in search of fish. He hooks a huge one - but it tows him far out to sea. He eventually gets the fish to his boat, but it is so big that he has to strap it to the boat. Then sharks pick it to bones as he rows back to shore.

That story line might have been taken, but I'm sure Al can come up with an interesting fish story.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend who, when he retired, commissioned a fishing boat and is now a serious part-time Chesapeake Bay Waterman. He literally feeds his extended family on rockfish and blue crab. Not that they can't afford their own food - they are all well-set financially - but what you pull from the water is far more delicious than what you buy at the fish store, let alone frozen. I only wish we lived closer!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I love to fish and thoroughly enjoy it. My DF's retirement was all about fishing in SE Florida. Snook are awesome game fish and tasty too.

My fishing today is mainly trout, some bass and landlocked salmon.

The best day on the water ever was with FIL, DF and me out on the Atlantic. Fishing for Maui Maui and instead we caught 9 Cuban refugees 25 miles off the coast!

They'd been ou there two nights, no engine, no food, a liter of water left for a 3 year old. You can't see land from that far out. Pretty scary to be them.

At that time we were allowing Cubans in but not Hatian refugees. They're English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian".
I may have seen happier people, but I don't recall when!

Took a few hours for the Coast Guard to get to us and find us. Even with LORAN and radio it's tough to find other boats. I'm not sure how we spotted those folks but maybe I do.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what a story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I love to fish and thoroughly enjoy it. My DF's retirement was all about fishing in SE Florida. Snook are awesome game fish and tasty too.

The best day on the water ever was with FIL, DF and me out on the Atlantic. Fishing for Maui Maui and instead we caught 9 Cuban refugees 25 miles off the coast!

They'd been ou there two nights, no engine, no food, a liter of water left for a 3 year old. You can't see land from that far out. Pretty scary to be them.

At that time we were allowing Cubans in but not Hatian refugees. They're English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian".

Took a few hours for the Coast Guard to get to us and find us. Even with LORAN and radio it's tough to find other boats. I'm not sure how we spotted those folks but maybe I do.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #15

Lovely pictures. It’s a healthy outdoor hobby that provides food for the table. No reason to stop.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't use my boat as much as I should. Almost use it less than before I retired. But, I also have two friends that take their boats out and I just have to show up and pay for gas.

It is a hassle to get things ready the day before, then do the cleanup after you've spent 8 hours out. But, when you bring back the booty from fishing or crabbing it makes it all so worthwhile.

I have learned not to put a pencil on $ spent versus what's caught. We all know that it would be much cheaper to go to the store and buy fish.

I'm now into making my own spinners for salmon/steelhead and have the bug big time.

Reading up now on river scouting techniques for steelhead. Love YouTube.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for posting, Al. Looks like fun! I'd like to try fishing from my kayak but have some questions.
>1. What do you do with your rod and reel when you catch a fish? Do you have a place on your kayak to mount the rod while you remove the fish?

Yes, I have a great rod mount:

>2. Where do you put the fish after you catch them? In a mesh basket or stringer attached to the outside of the kayak?

I use a stringer. You can see a trout on the stringer in this picture. It's deeper than it looks (four feet?).

When I paddle, the fish is dragged behind the kayak. More fish torturing. It doesn't kill them, but it doesn't seem pleasant.

>English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian". I may have seen happier people, but I don't recall when!

Wonderful story!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Great story!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Maybe Al's getting material for his next book - one where an old man takes to the sea in search of fish. He hooks a huge one - but it tows him far out to sea. He eventually gets the fish to his boat, but it is so big that he has to strap it to the boat. Then sharks pick it to bones as he rows back to shore.

That story line might have been taken, but I'm sure Al can come up with an interesting fish story.

That plot is too unbelievable, forgettable, would never sell and certainly could never be a classic.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be fishing regularly soon. After the house gets done. A new (used) boat in a slip at the marina on the Delta 10 miles from my house. Catfish, stripers, big mouth, sturgeon and salmon.