Join Early Retirement Today

Five years in
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Five years in

30 Dec 2004 was my last day at work. It consisted of signing papers & getting a retirement ID. Official day of retirement was 31 Dec (which was a holiday).

I have lost 80#, BP is mostly normal, stopped grinding/clenching teeth, tartar buildup on gums has ceased, arthritis pain in knees is mostly gone, migraines & indigestion & bad dreams gone.

I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I have lost 80#, BP is mostly normal, stopped grinding/clenching teeth, tartar buildup on gums has ceased, arthritis pain in knees is mostly gone, migraines & indigestion & bad dreams gone.
Wow. Very impressive results.
Quote:
I don't blame you at all.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!

You are a walking (hopefully pain-free now) talking (at least posting) advertisement for ER and an inspiration. I am looking forward to similar feelings if Mr. Market will just keep cooperating.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #4

Wow, that's some changes, Kahn. Guess it was a great move for you to retire. Good for you!!!
And may we assume you are enjoying the heck out of it, too?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
tartar buildup on gums has ceased
Did you change your diet?

Audrey

P.S. Congrats! And great results!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Congratulations Khan. You are an inspiration.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Did you change your diet?

Audrey

P.S. Congrats! And great results!
Not really.
The hygienist & dentist remarked on the difference. I went from a 4 month intensive cleaning to a 6 month not too bad cleaning.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Khan , I am at three years but I worked one day a week for one of them ( I was weak ) . I have lost 8 lbs.. I have successfully started a ebay business , I have done several projects on my house and I have shared care of my Mom with my sister . I still need the same dental work but I am more relaxed and sorry Khan but I will not sell a kidney before returning to work as my brother had a heart transplant . You never know when you need those parts .
Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Khan,

I retired at the same time as you. My last day worked was Dec. 31, 2004. I was then on vacation and comp time until April 5th, my official retirement date.

I am with you, I will never go back to work. My health has improved and I am so much happier. Plus, I just don't have time to work. I don't know about the kidney, but that's an idea if the stock market tanks again soon.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
30 Dec 2004 was my last day at work. I have lost 80#, BP is mostly normal, stopped grinding/clenching teeth, tartar buildup on gums has ceased, arthritis pain in knees is mostly gone, migraines & indigestion & bad dreams gone.
Congratulations, both on your retirement anniversary and on your many successes since then!

Quote:
I'm just over two years into my retirement and I like to say that I'd subsist on rice & beans before I'd return to full-time work. That may be because I'd never thought of selling a kidney...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Khan...retirement has served you very well.

I'd rather sell one of DH's kidneys than for me to go back to work...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #12

Congrats, hope you like it as much as I do.

I'll keep my kidneys. I have done some free work on my nephew's farm over the years and if I need money REALLY REALLY BAD, I can get paid for that type of work.

Interesting, my nephew is a small farmer and I used to help driving tractor at seeding time or truck or combine at harvest. This year he teamed up with a large operator and didn't need me.

He did call me since the "big guy" he'd joined had spent $500K on a combine and needed a driver. I told him that while $25/hr was reasonable for "mindless" work, I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day for 6 weeks straight.

I hope that when I need that kind of money I'll still be capable of doing the work. According to FIRECALC, I'll be dead by then so it may be a good distraction.

Edit to add/change:
"I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight."
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I told him that while $25/hr was reasonable for "mindless" work, I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day for 6 weeks straight.
Edit to add/change:
"I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight."
I'll take that job. Even if you don't get time and a half after 40 hours a week, it still comes to $21,000 for 6 weeks of work. I could get by for a whole year on that even if it's taxed. Where do I sign up.

I'd do that before i'd sell a kidney.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
30 Dec 2004 was my last day at work. It consisted of signing papers & getting a retirement ID. Official day of retirement was 31 Dec (which was a holiday).
Congratulations on your five year anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Amazing, utterly wonderful. I am so happy for you! Imagine how bad things would be by now if you had continued to work in that environment.

Quote:
I sure can't blame you, knowing what a marked improvement in your health has occurred since your retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not really.
The hygienist & dentist remarked on the difference. I went from a 4 month intensive cleaning to a 6 month not too bad cleaning.
Just wondered, as I saw a difference in plaque build-up when I switched to a lower-starch, higher veg/fruit diet - i.e. a diet that emphasized lower-glycemic carbs and avoided the high-glycemic ones as well as a little higher protein and fat (good fats).

I never had a real serious problem with plaque, but I remember my dentist being amazed at the annual cleanings when we were most careful with our diet.

Audrey
Old 12-31-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations on your five year anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary.

And many happy returns of the day!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Me and Khan - 5 years

Me too Khan Five years ago today as my last day at the office. I have enjoyed every minute since. The first year I did a few paid projects but then I thought that I didn't need the money and no longer wanted the responsibility. So, no more work, no more. Like Khan, I shedded a few pounds (but only a few). Took up biking and average 100+ miles a week. And never wake up at 4:00 AM worrying about work
Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, guys. I already know that when I check out for good my health will improve because I can see what happens to me on vacations. Hopefully I am in good enough shape to do all the things I have been waiting to do.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:

Happy anniversary!!!!

Those health improvements are fantastic, I hope I have similar success over the coming years.