Five years in

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
30 Dec 2004 was my last day at work. It consisted of signing papers & getting a retirement ID. Official day of retirement was 31 Dec (which was a holiday).

I have lost 80#, BP is mostly normal, stopped grinding/clenching teeth, tartar buildup on gums has ceased, arthritis pain in knees is mostly gone, migraines & indigestion & bad dreams gone.

I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work.

I have lost 80#, BP is mostly normal, stopped grinding/clenching teeth, tartar buildup on gums has ceased, arthritis pain in knees is mostly gone, migraines & indigestion & bad dreams gone.
Wow. Very impressive results.
I don't blame you at all.

Congratulations!

You are a walking (hopefully pain-free now) talking (at least posting) advertisement for ER and an inspiration. I am looking forward to similar feelings if Mr. Market will just keep cooperating.

Wow, that's some changes, Kahn. Guess it was a great move for you to retire. Good for you!!!:D:D:D:D:D
And may we assume you are enjoying the heck out of it, too?

Congratulations Khan. You are an inspiration.

Did you change your diet?

Audrey

P.S. Congrats! And great results!

Not really.
The hygienist & dentist remarked on the difference. I went from a 4 month intensive cleaning to a 6 month not too bad cleaning.

Congratulations Khan , I am at three years but I worked one day a week for one of them ( I was weak ) . I have lost 8 lbs.. I have successfully started a ebay business , I have done several projects on my house and I have shared care of my Mom with my sister . I still need the same dental work but I am more relaxed and sorry Khan but I will not sell a kidney before returning to work as my brother had a heart transplant . You never know when you need those parts .

Khan,

I retired at the same time as you. My last day worked was Dec. 31, 2004. I was then on vacation and comp time until April 5th, my official retirement date.

I am with you, I will never go back to work. My health has improved and I am so much happier. Plus, I just don't have time to work. I don't know about the kidney, but that's an idea if the stock market tanks again soon.

30 Dec 2004 was my last day at work. I have lost 80#, BP is mostly normal, stopped grinding/clenching teeth, tartar buildup on gums has ceased, arthritis pain in knees is mostly gone, migraines & indigestion & bad dreams gone.

Congratulations, both on your retirement anniversary and on your many successes since then!

I'm just over two years into my retirement and I like to say that I'd subsist on rice & beans before I'd return to full-time work. That may be because I'd never thought of selling a kidney... ;)

Congratulations Khan...retirement has served you very well. :flowers:

I'd rather sell one of DH's kidneys than for me to go back to work...:angel:

Congrats, hope you like it as much as I do.

I'll keep my kidneys. I have done some free work on my nephew's farm over the years and if I need money REALLY REALLY BAD, I can get paid for that type of work.

Interesting, my nephew is a small farmer and I used to help driving tractor at seeding time or truck or combine at harvest. This year he teamed up with a large operator and didn't need me:clap:.

He did call me since the "big guy" he'd joined had spent $500K on a combine and needed a driver. I told him that while $25/hr was reasonable for "mindless" work, I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day for 6 weeks straight.

I hope that when I need that kind of money I'll still be capable of doing the work. According to FIRECALC, I'll be dead by then so it may be a good distraction.

Edit to add/change:
"I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight."

I told him that while $25/hr was reasonable for "mindless" work, I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day for 6 weeks straight.
Edit to add/change:
"I didn't retire in order to work 20 Hr/day 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight."

I'll take that job. Even if you don't get time and a half after 40 hours a week, it still comes to $21,000 for 6 weeks of work. I could get by for a whole year on that even if it's taxed. Where do I sign up.

I'd do that before i'd sell a kidney.

30 Dec 2004 was my last day at work. It consisted of signing papers & getting a retirement ID. Official day of retirement was 31 Dec (which was a holiday).

Congratulations on your five year anniversary! :clap: :dance:

Khan said:

Amazing, utterly wonderful. I am so happy for you! Imagine how bad things would be by now if you had continued to work in that environment.

I sure can't blame you, knowing what a marked improvement in your health has occurred since your retirement.

Not really.
The hygienist & dentist remarked on the difference. I went from a 4 month intensive cleaning to a 6 month not too bad cleaning.
Just wondered, as I saw a difference in plaque build-up when I switched to a lower-starch, higher veg/fruit diet - i.e. a diet that emphasized lower-glycemic carbs and avoided the high-glycemic ones as well as a little higher protein and fat (good fats).

I never had a real serious problem with plaque, but I remember my dentist being amazed at the annual cleanings when we were most careful with our diet.

Audrey

Me and Khan - 5 years

Me too Khan :) Five years ago today as my last day at the office. I have enjoyed every minute since. The first year I did a few paid projects but then I thought that I didn't need the money and no longer wanted the responsibility. So, no more work, no more. Like Khan, I shedded a few pounds (but only a few). Took up biking and average 100+ miles a week. And never wake up at 4:00 AM worrying about work :D

Congrats, guys. I already know that when I check out for good my health will improve because I can see what happens to me on vacations. Hopefully I am in good enough shape to do all the things I have been waiting to do.

Happy anniversary!!!!

Those health improvements are fantastic, I hope I have similar success over the coming years.

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary! I've just completed my 7th year and totally agree with your findings, much better health, lost about 35# much lower BP and GERD gone! Rather sell the left unit than go back to work :D

We are all happy for you, Khan.

In reading people's stories here, it occurred to me that the problems I had when at my megacorps were relatively minor, meaning that they were not personal. I was just unhappy with the esprit de corps, or rather lack of it. If I just ignored these as impersonal dumb corporate policies, I could just do my job, collected my paycheck, bennies, and 401k matching. I would have a lot more money.

In other words, I did not have reasons to hate my job to contemplate a kidney sacrifice. And that is good, because I love my kidneys, even if they got big stones.

But you did hate your job and you escaped, and I am happy for you. Cheers.

My 5th year is coming in March. I feel better and also have lost weight not 80lbs but about 40. It is so nice to have your time and life belong to you and not the man.

I am so happy not to have to go to work. My wife and I, every once in a while will ask each other if we miss work and the answer is always NO!:)

Back
Top Bottom