Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did ya'll try just plugging the TV into the cable system before paying for it?
I tried it and have basic cable for free.

Also with HDTV over the air signals - if you can get a signal you get clear HDTV - no snowy pictures.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Man, what a bunch of grouchy-sounding old-sounding people!

Audrey
I was expecting, some to say that they still were watching a black and whtie tv....btw, we have a 13 inch one that is about 25 years old that we use in the basement...

Old 11-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #43

DVD or 480p (i think) but you can buy a Sony UpConvert DVD player that will 750p or 1080i The Many Benefits of an Upconverting DVD Player

I saw one at Fry's (I think) for $80. Much better than paying the price for HD or Blue Ray.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I was expecting, some to say that they still were watching a black and whtie tv....btw, we have a 13 inch one that is about 25 years old that we use in the basement...
does the small bw tv on the kitchen counter counts?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
DVD or 480p (i think) but you can buy a Sony UpConvert DVD player that will 750p or 1080i The Many Benefits of an Upconverting DVD Player

I saw one at Fry's (I think) for $80. Much better than paying the price for HD or Blue Ray.
Just be aware the an upconverting player wont play HD-DVDs or BlueRay discs. Lots of people have made that mistake.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #46

Your right, they play cheap regular DVD's and give a picture that is real close to expensive HD-DVD/BlueRay.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nature programs in HD - it's so fantastic!! Have you never seen PBS programs in HD? Total eye candy. The sound too!!!!! Makes old analog TV look so horrible. DVD movies look so much better too on the new screens, even though they aren't even HD.

Just love the new high def screens and images.

Audrey
Am with you on this one. Never thought I'd enjoy my 46" 1080p flat screen and home theatre system like I have. Nature shows and sports are awesome. Life is too short to mess around with just getting by with 20th century technology.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I had an old 20" that weighed a ton, which I didn't mind for TV programs. But I got tired of watching DVD's that took away the top and bottom of the screen. Then trying to read subtitles was even more difficult with my 'old' eyes. So I got a 32" LCD which is great. And shortly after I bought it, I gave my old TV to a family at work who's house burned down.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
You may already have HD cable. If there are over the air HD channels in your area then the cable provider is legally required to include those HD channels at no extra charge.
Kwirk - Are you saying Time Warner has to provide me free access to my local broadcast HD channels or that they have to include the local HD channels for free on any HD tier to which I subscribe?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #50

Or,,,,,you could plant yourself in the middle of the Ozarks where the choices are much simpler. I asked the Dish guy about HD and he replied, "you must be from the city, huh?" Then the cable guy told me that there will never be a cable here in his lifetime. (Damn--he looked 20 years younger than me.)

But I do have to say the DVR Dish peddles is one of the finest inventions ever, right up there with, uh, and yeah, that other thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
Am with you on this one. Never thought I'd enjoy my 46" 1080p flat screen and home theatre system like I have. Nature shows and sports are awesome. Life is too short to mess around with just
getting by with 20th century technology.
I would much rather go for a walk and watch a real nature show, the resolution is considerably better in-person than watching on a TeeVee screen (LCD or otherwise). Life is too short to be spending it sitting in front of something that doesn't even come close to qualifying as reasonable facsimile of something resembling "life". Get out there and enjoy the real world. Oh, and it is cheaper too...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
I would much rather go for a walk and watch a real nature show, the resolution is considerably better in-person than watching on a TeeVee screen (LCD or otherwise). Life is too short to be spending it sitting in front of something that doesn't even come close to qualifying as reasonable facsimile of something resembling "life". Get out there and enjoy the real world. Oh, and it is cheaper too...

This topic is about TVs. So it is only relevant for those of us who are so unclean as to admit to watching TV. I just watched 5 hours of football, so you know where I stand on it. And true, I could have paid $50 and sat somewhere near the top of the stadium on a cold night. I suppose the resolution would theoretically be better, but I wouldn't be able to see it nearly as well.

Ha
Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Well, I was watching "I Love Lucy" this morning, so does that kind of count? Nevermind it was on a 50 inch plasma!

One of my roommates had been wanting a big tv. Prior to this we just had a 32 inch tube tv and my sentiment was "sit closer to the screen if it's not big enough for you!". He kept trying to talk me into going in with him, but I just could not justify the expense. Then, last week, Best Buy had a sale on them, and I think this sucker was about $1200, out the door, with a 4 year warranty, so he went out and bought it himself.

I guess about the best way I can describe the difference is when I first got a DVD player. At first, I didn't see what the big deal was. I really didn't see a difference between the quality of a DVD versus a VHS tape. Until, that is, the next time I watched a VHS tape! It's like you don't notice the step up in quality, until you get forced to take a step back and see how bad it used to be!

Now, I have noticed a few side effects of the improved picture quality. Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" was on the other night. With the bigger, improved picture quality compared to the 32" tube tv, the special effects tended to stand out a bit more. For instance, the matte paintings of the town and such. There's one scene in the movie, a shot looking down on the town, as a fire is spreading, and one by one, the birds start to soar onto the scene. In the past, I always thought that was a real aerial shot with the birds superimposed on. But suddenly, I noticed that parts of the shot looked fake, like they were airbrushed. Then the more I looked at it, the whole thing didn't look real. I found out, searching on the net, that the whole thing was a matte painting, except for a parking lot that was filmed at a Universal Studios backlot. Here's the scene, if anyone's interested: http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/...ds/birds26.jpg

Now, this is either a testament to the artist's ability, or perhaps just my failing eyesight, but I swear that's a damned realistic looking painting! And if it wasn't for this 50 inch plasma tv, I never would have realized it was a painting!

I've also heard that these bigger tvs, especially with an HD signal, will show up every flaw, pimple, crows foot, and wrinkle on a person's face, like tv never has before. So now may be a good time to invest in plastic surgery stocks.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Agreed. For now, my 27" analog TV works just fine. When over-the-air signals go digital, I'll simply spend $80 or so for a digital tuner.

Don't get me wrong, flat panels are nice. However, I'd rather spend my time in the gym or raising kids than sitting in front of the TV watching a program that doesn't really teach me anything.
LOL! Over-the-air signals went digital several years ago. Free HDTV is absolutely superb. You are probably hurting your eyes and your children's eyes by not getting that 50+" flat-panel HDTV.

The phenomenon is not unlike a microwave oven. Remember that folks? Many folks said they would not use a microwave oven in their lifetime. LOL!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #55

Kwirk - I emailed TWC and they responsed that even if I cancelled my HD tier (which is pretty pathetic) I would still receive all the local channels being broadcast in HD since I have an HD-capable set top box HD TV.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Apparently the on-air live newscasters are having a problem because they don't look as good (i.e. more realistic with blemishes and all) and so they take longer in makeup.

Reality bites...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago I visited someone who had a tiny black and white TV. I'm talking maybe an 8 inch screen. We sat on the floor watching some interesting movie, and I noticed that when I really got into the movie, I totally forgot that I was sitting uncomfortably on the floor watching an 8" TV.

Also, we had some years when we watched over the air TV with snow, ghosty pictures.

I'm not using this as an argument against HDTV, but it is true that sometimes you get into the story so much that you no longer notice the limitations of the screen.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Kwirk - Are you saying Time Warner has to provide me free access to my local broadcast HD channels or that they have to include the local HD channels for free on any HD tier to which I subscribe?
You need to be a subscriber but you do not need to be an HD or digital subscriber.

If you are subscribing to even the most basic cable package Time Warner must provide any local over-the-air channels in the clear (not scrambled/encrypted). They do not have to provide you the digital cable (QAM) tuner but most HD TV sets now include one (and you can even buy QAM tuners for your PC).

This weekend I set up a nice HD TV for my parents-in-law, who live in the Pittsburgh area. They have only a very basic cable package, not paying for anything digital or HD. They now receive ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS HD stations at no additional cost. (They also receive some other digital and HD stations that Comcast has not bothered to scramble but this additional bonus may not last.)

Obviously, the cable companies are not eager to point out this right to their customers when it might deter them from subscribing to a more extensive package.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm not using this as an argument against HDTV, but it is true that sometimes you get into the story so much that you no longer notice the limitations of the screen.
And sometimes I get into my other activities and never watch any TV.

Couldn't give up a big computer monitor or broadband, though. Not without significant mourning withdrawal symptoms.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #60
Administrator

I have had my beautiful big 42" plasma TV for a year and a half.

I love the brilliant colors. Even when there is nothing on and I have it on but muted, it adds to my quality of life. It's pretty! OK, I know, I'm weird.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote