Flat panel HDTV is now a "necessity"

Am with you on this one. Never thought I'd enjoy my 46" 1080p flat screen and home theatre system like I have. Nature shows and sports are awesome. Life is too short to mess around with just
getting by with 20th century technology.

I would much rather go for a walk and watch a real nature show, the resolution is considerably better in-person than watching on a TeeVee screen (LCD or otherwise). Life is too short to be spending it sitting in front of something that doesn't even come close to qualifying as reasonable facsimile of something resembling "life". Get out there and enjoy the real world. Oh, and it is cheaper too...

I would much rather go for a walk and watch a real nature show, the resolution is considerably better in-person than watching on a TeeVee screen (LCD or otherwise). Life is too short to be spending it sitting in front of something that doesn't even come close to qualifying as reasonable facsimile of something resembling "life". Get out there and enjoy the real world. Oh, and it is cheaper too...

This topic is about TVs. So it is only relevant for those of us who are so unclean as to admit to watching TV. I just watched 5 hours of football, so you know where I stand on it. And true, I could have paid $50 and sat somewhere near the top of the stadium on a cold night. I suppose the resolution would theoretically be better, but I wouldn't be able to see it nearly as well.

Ha

I was expecting, some to say that they still were watching a black and whtie tv....btw, we have a 13 inch one that is about 25 years old that we use in the basement...;)

Well, I was watching "I Love Lucy" this morning, so does that kind of count? :p Nevermind it was on a 50 inch plasma!

One of my roommates had been wanting a big tv. Prior to this we just had a 32 inch tube tv and my sentiment was "sit closer to the screen if it's not big enough for you!". He kept trying to talk me into going in with him, but I just could not justify the expense. Then, last week, Best Buy had a sale on them, and I think this sucker was about $1200, out the door, with a 4 year warranty, so he went out and bought it himself.

I guess about the best way I can describe the difference is when I first got a DVD player. At first, I didn't see what the big deal was. I really didn't see a difference between the quality of a DVD versus a VHS tape. Until, that is, the next time I watched a VHS tape! It's like you don't notice the step up in quality, until you get forced to take a step back and see how bad it used to be!

Now, I have noticed a few side effects of the improved picture quality. Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" was on the other night. With the bigger, improved picture quality compared to the 32" tube tv, the special effects tended to stand out a bit more. For instance, the matte paintings of the town and such. There's one scene in the movie, a shot looking down on the town, as a fire is spreading, and one by one, the birds start to soar onto the scene. In the past, I always thought that was a real aerial shot with the birds superimposed on. But suddenly, I noticed that parts of the shot looked fake, like they were airbrushed. Then the more I looked at it, the whole thing didn't look real. I found out, searching on the net, that the whole thing was a matte painting, except for a parking lot that was filmed at a Universal Studios backlot. Here's the scene, if anyone's interested: http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/TheBirds/birds26.jpg

Now, this is either a testament to the artist's ability, or perhaps just my failing eyesight, but I swear that's a damned realistic looking painting! And if it wasn't for this 50 inch plasma tv, I never would have realized it was a painting!

I've also heard that these bigger tvs, especially with an HD signal, will show up every flaw, pimple, crows foot, and wrinkle on a person's face, like tv never has before. So now may be a good time to invest in plastic surgery stocks. :D

Agreed. For now, my 27" analog TV works just fine. When over-the-air signals go digital, I'll simply spend $80 or so for a digital tuner.

Don't get me wrong, flat panels are nice. However, I'd rather spend my time in the gym or raising kids than sitting in front of the TV watching a program that doesn't really teach me anything.

LOL! Over-the-air signals went digital several years ago. Free HDTV is absolutely superb. You are probably hurting your eyes and your children's eyes by not getting that 50+" flat-panel HDTV.

The phenomenon is not unlike a microwave oven. Remember that folks? Many folks said they would not use a microwave oven in their lifetime. LOL!

Kwirk - I emailed TWC and they responsed that even if I cancelled my HD tier (which is pretty pathetic) I would still receive all the local channels being broadcast in HD since I have an HD-capable set top box HD TV.

Apparently the on-air live newscasters are having a problem because they don't look as good (i.e. more realistic with blemishes and all) and so they take longer in makeup.

Reality bites...

Many years ago I visited someone who had a tiny black and white TV. I'm talking maybe an 8 inch screen. We sat on the floor watching some interesting movie, and I noticed that when I really got into the movie, I totally forgot that I was sitting uncomfortably on the floor watching an 8" TV.

Also, we had some years when we watched over the air TV with snow, ghosty pictures.

I'm not using this as an argument against HDTV, but it is true that sometimes you get into the story so much that you no longer notice the limitations of the screen.

Kwirk - Are you saying Time Warner has to provide me free access to my local broadcast HD channels or that they have to include the local HD channels for free on any HD tier to which I subscribe?

You need to be a subscriber but you do not need to be an HD or digital subscriber.

If you are subscribing to even the most basic cable package Time Warner must provide any local over-the-air channels in the clear (not scrambled/encrypted). They do not have to provide you the digital cable (QAM) tuner but most HD TV sets now include one (and you can even buy QAM tuners for your PC).

This weekend I set up a nice HD TV for my parents-in-law, who live in the Pittsburgh area. They have only a very basic cable package, not paying for anything digital or HD. They now receive ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS HD stations at no additional cost. (They also receive some other digital and HD stations that Comcast has not bothered to scramble but this additional bonus may not last.)

Obviously, the cable companies are not eager to point out this right to their customers when it might deter them from subscribing to a more extensive package.

I'm not using this as an argument against HDTV, but it is true that sometimes you get into the story so much that you no longer notice the limitations of the screen.
And sometimes I get into my other activities and never watch any TV.

Couldn't give up a big computer monitor or broadband, though. Not without significant [-]mourning[/-] withdrawal symptoms.

I have had my beautiful big 42" plasma TV for a year and a half.

I love the brilliant colors. Even when there is nothing on and I have it on but muted, it adds to my quality of life. It's pretty! :2funny: OK, I know, I'm weird. :)

Some 20 years ago

a 32 inch tv ran $1200, so I don't think a 50 inch plasma for $1400 today is expensive at all. The picture is so gorgeous, I wondered why I waited so long (yes, it was the price). I don't want to wait another 20 years before replacing it either.

LOL! Although it's not that easy to go underwater in some faraway exotic land, or take slow aerial perusals of gorgeous landscapes (with no helicopter noise!), or enjoy time lapse photography of plants growing. Nature TV is a lot cheaper than nature travel, and a lot safer too.

Both are good.....

Audrey

Last edited:
LOL! Although it's not that easy to go underwater in some faraway exotic land, or take slow aerial perusals of gorgeous landscapes (with no helicopter noise!), or enjoy time lapse photography of plants growing. Nature TV is a lot cheaper than nature travel, and a lot safer too.

Both are good.....

Audrey

I could not agree more Audrey...

I need to apologize to everyone for my rant, it was out of line and obviously not well written. And, as a tech-gadget freak myself, I am the last person who should be critical.

I too enjoy nature programming and am quite happy to spend all day every Saturday this time of year watching college football (thanks Ha). I do understand the attraction, each time I go to Costco a dozen bright screens greet me, even the picture on the low-end units is very nice.

My knee-jerk reaction was due to both the thread's original title, "Flat panel HDTV is now a 'necessity'", and the contention that, "life is too short" not to have one. I simply don't agree, but I should not have expressed my opinion in such an oblique and sarcastic manner.

Again, sorry about the rant, I will try to restrain myself...

OK, NotSoonEnough - you get first prize for groveling!

Definitely, considering a big screen HDTV as a "necessity" is absurd.

LOL - and I just thought you (and others) were simply warming up for that "crazy old man" routine that is supposed to be inevitable for members of the male sex after turning 50.....

Where was that thread?

Oh yeah, here it is - priceless!!: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/crazy-old-man-24494.html
To quote Martha - "Embrace the curmudgeon. Resistance is futile."

LOL!

Audrey

Another reason we haven't gotten interested in flat-panels is that only a small one would fit in our entertainment center. I'd either have to gut it and put in new shelves, buy a new one, or put the TV on the top.

Another reason we haven't gotten interested in flat-panels is that only a small one would fit in our entertainment center. I'd either have to gut it and put in new shelves, buy a new one, or put the TV on the top.

To quote someone very close to you Al, that's bullsh!t. The reason you haven't gotten interested in flat-panel TV's is 'cause you're too chea...er...frugal. ;)

Hahaha fear not al ours is on top of the entertainment center. Its really not that bad. Our old 27 tv blew up and i had to get a 32 hdtv.

For those willing to get outside of the box, you can mount it on the ceiling, or at the juncture between the ceiling and the wall, and get around those current space limitations. Just lean the recliner back, call for another adult beverage, and enjoy.

For those willing to get outside of the box, you can mount it on the ceiling, or at the juncture between the ceiling and the wall, and get around those current space limitations. Just lean the recliner back, call for another adult beverage, and enjoy.

My guess it would be better to use a mirror(s?). Put the mirror on the ceiling - you might have to tilt the TV up towards the mirror.

We made the switch about 18+ months ago to flat screen. After a visit from my son, who pointed out that our 20+ year old set didn't have much color anymore, we had gotten use to it. He gave us a big anniversary/Christmas gift Visa card that would have bought a new 32" glass set and said he would visit again when we had a decent TV to watch :). I told him I would not buy a TV I couldn't lift. We started watching for a deal on a flat screen. Since we were replacing a 27" we needed at least a 32" to get roughly the same SDTV size rectangle. We settled on a 37" ViewSonic LCD when they were having a deal with rebates and such that we didn't have to add to much to the gift card. It seemed huge for a few months, and it is plenty big, but I would probably go up another notch or 2 in size today if I was buying one. The prices are still going down.

I solved the entertainment center problem, after shopping for a replacement and being to cheap to pay the over priced cost of a nice one. I carefully removed the top from the old one, masked off the sides about 18" down and cut it down and put the top back on. Worked out to be almost the perfect hight and didn't loose all the component and DVD storage.

Jeb

To quote someone very close to you Al, that's bullsh!t. The reason you haven't gotten interested in flat-panel TV's is 'cause you're too chea...er...frugal.
wink.gif

Well, now that you mention it...yeah.

If I were to get one (translation: when I find one at a garage sale), I would probably put it on top of the entertainment center. This would solve the recliner/bifocals problem. But I'd have to fasten everything down, since we are in earthquake terrirtory.

To quote someone very close to you Al, that's bullsh!t. The reason you haven't gotten interested in flat-panel TV's is 'cause you're too chea...er...frugal. ;)

:D:D:D Let's just say I wish I could spend a day with Al so he could show me how to live on $.89 a day. Al, gotta write a book about that! :D

Back
Top Bottom