Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Some 20 years ago
Old 11-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Some 20 years ago

a 32 inch tv ran $1200, so I don't think a 50 inch plasma for $1400 today is expensive at all. The picture is so gorgeous, I wondered why I waited so long (yes, it was the price). I don't want to wait another 20 years before replacing it either.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
I would much rather go for a walk and watch a real nature show, the resolution is considerably better in-person than watching on a TeeVee screen (LCD or otherwise). Life is too short to be spending it sitting in front of something that doesn't even come close to qualifying as reasonable facsimile of something resembling "life". Get out there and enjoy the real world. Oh, and it is cheaper too...
LOL! Although it's not that easy to go underwater in some faraway exotic land, or take slow aerial perusals of gorgeous landscapes (with no helicopter noise!), or enjoy time lapse photography of plants growing. Nature TV is a lot cheaper than nature travel, and a lot safer too.

Both are good.....

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
LOL! Although it's not that easy to go underwater in some faraway exotic land, or take slow aerial perusals of gorgeous landscapes (with no helicopter noise!), or enjoy time lapse photography of plants growing. Nature TV is a lot cheaper than nature travel, and a lot safer too.

Both are good.....

Audrey
I could not agree more Audrey...

I need to apologize to everyone for my rant, it was out of line and obviously not well written. And, as a tech-gadget freak myself, I am the last person who should be critical.

I too enjoy nature programming and am quite happy to spend all day every Saturday this time of year watching college football (thanks Ha). I do understand the attraction, each time I go to Costco a dozen bright screens greet me, even the picture on the low-end units is very nice.

My knee-jerk reaction was due to both the thread's original title, "Flat panel HDTV is now a 'necessity'", and the contention that, "life is too short" not to have one. I simply don't agree, but I should not have expressed my opinion in such an oblique and sarcastic manner.

Again, sorry about the rant, I will try to restrain myself...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

OK, NotSoonEnough - you get first prize for groveling!

Definitely, considering a big screen HDTV as a "necessity" is absurd.

LOL - and I just thought you (and others) were simply warming up for that "crazy old man" routine that is supposed to be inevitable for members of the male sex after turning 50.....

Where was that thread?

Oh yeah, here it is - priceless!!: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...man-24494.html
To quote Martha - "Embrace the curmudgeon. Resistance is futile."

LOL!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Another reason we haven't gotten interested in flat-panels is that only a small one would fit in our entertainment center. I'd either have to gut it and put in new shelves, buy a new one, or put the TV on the top.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Another reason we haven't gotten interested in flat-panels is that only a small one would fit in our entertainment center. I'd either have to gut it and put in new shelves, buy a new one, or put the TV on the top.
To quote someone very close to you Al, that's bullsh!t. The reason you haven't gotten interested in flat-panel TV's is 'cause you're too chea...er...frugal.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Hahaha fear not al ours is on top of the entertainment center. Its really not that bad. Our old 27 tv blew up and i had to get a 32 hdtv.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

For those willing to get outside of the box, you can mount it on the ceiling, or at the juncture between the ceiling and the wall, and get around those current space limitations. Just lean the recliner back, call for another adult beverage, and enjoy.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
For those willing to get outside of the box, you can mount it on the ceiling, or at the juncture between the ceiling and the wall, and get around those current space limitations. Just lean the recliner back, call for another adult beverage, and enjoy.
My guess it would be better to use a mirror(s?). Put the mirror on the ceiling - you might have to tilt the TV up towards the mirror.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

We made the switch about 18+ months ago to flat screen. After a visit from my son, who pointed out that our 20+ year old set didn't have much color anymore, we had gotten use to it. He gave us a big anniversary/Christmas gift Visa card that would have bought a new 32" glass set and said he would visit again when we had a decent TV to watch :-). I told him I would not buy a TV I couldn't lift. We started watching for a deal on a flat screen. Since we were replacing a 27" we needed at least a 32" to get roughly the same SDTV size rectangle. We settled on a 37" ViewSonic LCD when they were having a deal with rebates and such that we didn't have to add to much to the gift card. It seemed huge for a few months, and it is plenty big, but I would probably go up another notch or 2 in size today if I was buying one. The prices are still going down.

I solved the entertainment center problem, after shopping for a replacement and being to cheap to pay the over priced cost of a nice one. I carefully removed the top from the old one, masked off the sides about 18" down and cut it down and put the top back on. Worked out to be almost the perfect hight and didn't loose all the component and DVD storage.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To quote someone very close to you Al, that's bullsh!t. The reason you haven't gotten interested in flat-panel TV's is 'cause you're too chea...er...frugal.
Well, now that you mention it...yeah.

If I were to get one (translation: when I find one at a garage sale), I would probably put it on top of the entertainment center. This would solve the recliner/bifocals problem. But I'd have to fasten everything down, since we are in earthquake terrirtory.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
My guess it would be better to use a mirror(s?). Put the mirror on the ceiling -
Are we still talking about TV's here?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

I need a bigger monitor to see Wahoo's new avatar.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I need a bigger monitor to see Wahoo's new avatar.

Save your money...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let's just say I wish I could spend a day with Al so he could show me how to live on $.89 a day. Al, gotta write a book about that!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlighten View Post
a 32 inch tv ran $1200, so I don't think a 50 inch plasma for $1400 today is expensive at all. The picture is so gorgeous, I wondered why I waited so long (yes, it was the price). I don't want to wait another 20 years before replacing it either.

I don't really have a problem with the cost of an HDTV. After all its a one time purchase that should last 10 yrs. or so. What I object to is the monthly HDTV cable bill of $85 or $1020 per yr.

Cable is the only utility that is not billed by use. So even if I only watch for 2 hours a day I pay the same as someone who watches for 15 hours per day.

I just don't see the justification (for me) to pay that amount.

Plus Al has a point, I would have to replace my TV table.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I don't really have a problem with the cost of an HDTV. After all its a one time purchase that should last 10 yrs. or so. What I object to is the monthly HDTV cable bill of $85 or $1020 per yr.
If you're in a major metro area, you can get a bunch of HD channels for free by buying an antenna.

Of course, I don't get the History Channel or A&E, but $85 a month buys a LOT of DVD's...........

Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #78

Finally broke down and bought a large, flat screen LCD.

Our 27", 1978 Sony has been working poorly for many years. Bought a Sharp LC46D64U (new version as of Aug 2007) at the BX on Sunday. It had a MRSP of $2,799, BX advertised it on a one-day special for $1,399, but they price-matched Circuit City's Black Friday special of $1,299. A person opening a Star (credit account) would save another $130. This along with 2-$20 discount cards given at the door made for a reasonable price tv.

DW now wants me to go for pay-tv. Being FIREd is starting to get expensive.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #79

Well what in the world would they be doing with a mirror on the ceiling? You don't comb your hair in bed. You don't brush your teeth in bed. You sure as hell can't watch yourself sleep. What in the world else is there?

Well what the...?
What the?
Well GOOD LORD!! That's bad enough when you're going through it, who wants to watch it on the instant replay?!

-Thelma Harper, "Mama's Family", c1984.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Well what in the world would they be doing with a mirror on the ceiling? You don't comb your hair in bed. You don't brush your teeth in bed. You sure as hell can't watch yourself sleep. What in the world else is there?

Well what the...?
What the?
Well GOOD LORD!! That's bad enough when you're going through it, who wants to watch it on the instant replay?!
I dated a girl once who had mirrors on her ceiling....I broke up with her soon after that..........