Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

went to a motel once with a girl and the ceiling had mirrors.

no comment
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jennifer on WKRP had mirrors on her bedroom ceiling. They weren't shown, but implied by having the salesman look up and adjust his hair.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
went to a motel once with a girl and the ceiling had mirrors.
Better hope they weren't two-way mirrors.

I think I'd worry that the mirror was going to fall down on me.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think I'd worry that the mirror was going to fall down on me.
Al, it just feels like the earth moves.

Ha
Old 11-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Al, it just feels like the earth moves.

Ha

I told my cable company I only wanted basic cable - 13 channels - but in HD. They hemmed and hawed, but finally figured out how to do it. I pay $7 bucks a month more than the standard $11-15 for basic, and they couldn't find a way to turn off the digital channels, so I get Discovery, Nat Geo, and about a dozen others, pluse Encore movie channels, the local baseball games in HD, ESPN news (but not ESPN), G4, Sprout for the kids, about 40 channels in all, plus all the digital music stations for commercial free music. I figure at some point they'll figure out how to take that back all the extra goodies, but for now I guess they figure it's better to say "yes" to us than lose us. Right now we have our cable t.v., high speed internet, and phone as one bill for about $100, which seems pretty reasonable. To those of you looking at an HDTV, wanting to actually see 1080i/720p/1080p but not wanting to pay $100 just for cable t.v., it might be worth a try.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a Sony Bravia KDL 46V3000 and are very happy.

We watched Dexter our favourite show last night.

You analog creatures don't know what you'r missing.

Crystal clear pristine pictures of Dex's individual stubble hair, Lila's nipples, and every leaf on a tree.

People's eyes and irises are just like looking at them in real life.

It's as if you are looking at stuff in real time.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I just bought one. I got tired of having to get semi-smashed to hold my place at the bar to watch football, and having to drink Bloody Marys on Sunday morning to see an east coast game.

What I really wanted was a GF with a good TV, but I never met any. I'd have been happy to make her a nice brunch, even carry over the ingredients.

Ha
Old 12-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just bought one. I got tired of having to get semi-smashed to hold my place at the bar to watch football, and having to drink Bloody Marys on Sunday morning to see an east coast game.

What I really wanted was a GF with a good TV, but I never met any. I'd have been happy to make her a nice brunch, even carry over the ingredients.

Ha
Hey, maybe a nice girl has been waiting for YOU to get a good TV!

Good luck!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have an HDTV but have extended experience with them. I housesat for a friend for a friend a month or so ago. HDTV is good for certain programs, but I can't stand it for news broadcasts.
starter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Prices are coming down on flat screens. We just bought a 42" plasma screen made by a Korea firm at the PX. It was last year's model, but was on sale at $699. I applied for an in-house credit card that gave me 10 percent off on all purchases made the first day. This brought the set down to $630. So far we have been quite happy with it considering the price, but I'm not sure I'd feel the same if we had bought a more expensive set.
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Finally sprung for out first Modern TV's, certainly first ones since the Millenium and the older of the two was more than 20 years old. Went with Aquos (Sharp) in 26" and 32". I've had 'em about a month now and only gotten around to hooking up the replacement for the smaller one that goes inside a cabinet (hence size limit of 26") in the Family room. So far I've mostly used it as a huge PC monitor for my Strategy WWII Military games. The bigger one for the bedroom involves at least 2 hours of work moving and wiring up stuff, just can't find the time ROFLMAO
Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

So for people with multiple HDTV capable TVs, are you getting a receiver for each, or just watching in non-HDTV (SDTV?) mode? Is there much of a difference between those TVs in SDTV mode vs. CRTs? The biggest one to me would be to have a 16x9 screen to view a 4x3 picture.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
So for people with multiple HDTV capable TVs, are you getting a receiver for each, or just watching in non-HDTV (SDTV?) mode? Is there much of a difference between those TVs in SDTV mode vs. CRTs? The biggest one to me would be to have a 16x9 screen to view a 4x3 picture.
Why would you want a 16x9 screen to view a 4x3 picture? If you do that, you either get the black bands on the side (so no real benefit - same picture size) or you do the str-e-e-e-e-e-t-ch thing, which I think is just plain weird. Who is fooled by those squatty looking people?

I got the 'assignment' of picking out a new TV that several of us are going in on for the in-laws. The 32" Vizeo at Costco got good reviews. I convinced my wife we need to 'test' it before we give it to them. Wow. I'm not into video stuff much, but I hooked this up to our antenna (we get all the Chicago station, a couple a bit marginal, most very clear) and we lock on every digital station fine. Extra sub-channels, and when they have good content, it is impressive. But no stretch-o-vision for me.

There are some details about getting HD locally over cable/sat (I currently have neither), and I understand that the quality may not be as good as over-the-air.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

I meant 16x9 on a 4x3 is a negative difference. A reason not to replace my bedroom TV with a new TV unless I add a receiver there as well (which I probably wouldn't). I don't pick local stations very well so I don't think HDTV over the air is much of a possibility.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I meant 16x9 on a 4x3 is a negative difference. A reason not to replace my bedroom TV with a new TV unless I add a receiver there as well (which I probably wouldn't). I don't pick local stations very well so I don't think HDTV over the air is much of a possibility.
With over the air HDTV if you get a signal you get a good picture - it is either all or none. It isn't like analog where you can get a gradient of picture quality.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I checked one of those sites that predict whether and what signals you'll get over the air from your address, and it told me none.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems like a good time to buy. I just got a 1080p LCD Samsung with the flat glassy screen, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I'm a bit of a snob in these matters, having owned two HD video projectors over the years, and I can say flat out that this set beats those and maybe any projection system. The projection systems listed for over $20k new, but this new Sammie cost me less than $2k.

Samsung just recently announced that they are going to essentially stop R&D on their flat panels. They had been making major investments to get ahead of everyone and now they realized that they have achieved excellence and don't need to innovate much more. So from here on out it's likely that picture quality on the best sets is not going to be improving nearly as quickly as it has in the past. Prices will continue to march downward slowly.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Books on Tape
Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Books on Tape

"But, I'm not normal: I'd listen to a good "book on tape" through a $10 AM radio rather than hear the top 5 Brittany Spears tunes played repeatedly over crystal-clear digital satellite radio. If the marketplace offerings are any guide, nobody else is like this".

Agree Sam. Anyone else listen to books on tape? I've got about a 2-1/2 hour commute each day. I go through 1 to 2 a week typically. Love em.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutearly View Post
"But, I'm not normal: I'd listen to a good "book on tape" through a $10 AM radio rather than hear the top 5 Brittany Spears tunes played repeatedly over crystal-clear digital satellite radio. If the marketplace offerings are any guide, nobody else is like this".

Agree Sam. Anyone else listen to books on tape? I've got about a 2-1/2 hour commute each day. I go through 1 to 2 a week typically. Love em.
I have an hour commute each way (sometimes more depending on the traffic).

Books on CD are great, but my library has a somewhat out of date selection. It has very little of the modern popular fiction genre, apparently preferring to purchase some rather fringe books. The problem is that if people don't read the actual book, what makes the library think people are going to want to listen to it?

This is one of the reasons I have XM satellite radio, along with the fact that it only costs me $6.95 a month. Not a terrible price to pay for a decent number of different radio stations, many of which are commercial free. Unfortunately, most of the really popular XM stations (such as the news and financial stations) are loaded, and I mean LOADED with commercials. Strangely enough, those commercials look very much like my spam in-box, including commercials for erectile dysfunction drugs, get-rich-quick schemes, cheap mortgage refinancing, and spam/anti-virus software.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote