Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutearly View Post
Anyone else listen to books on tape? I've got about a 2-1/2 hour commute each day. I go through 1 to 2 a week typically. Love em.
podcasts - there are tons of free podcasts offered on a wide variety of subjects. Everything form University lectures and Science Friday, tons of NPR stuff to cooking shows, and every hobby under the sun.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Through iTunes you can subscribe to a number of podcasts for free.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

iPOD is the way to go when there aren't any audio books available
Check these out
http://popcasts.po-di-um.net/

LibriVox: Search Results

When you've finished with Librivox it should be time to retire.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a five year old multi-channel receiver which I would like to use in an HDTV setup. Trouble is, it only has an S Video connection. Does anyone know if there's any way of converting an S Video connection to HDMI?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignExchange View Post
I have a five year old multi-channel receiver which I would like to use in an HDTV setup. Trouble is, it only has an S Video connection. Does anyone know if there's any way of converting an S Video connection to HDMI?
Do you really need the receiver in the loop? Can't you just send video direct from your cable or satellite box or DVD player directly to your TV?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

The short answer is no. While it might be possible to convert s-video to an hdmi compatible signal, you wouldnt get HD out of it. s-video's resolution is limited.

You might be able to use an upconverting box/line doubler that would produce an HD level signal, but something that also improved the quality of the output would be pretty expensive and it still wouldnt look as good.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I can't convert, in that case, if I pursue HDTV, I may only run the audio portion through my receiver using a coaxial or optical cable. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

NOTE: If you want surround sound audio (or any multi channel > 2 audio), you'll have to use an optical cable.

Audrey
Old 12-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Why buy? I haven't been overly impressed with the picture quality. Even if it were outstanding (and some are better than others, for sure), they're incredibly overpriced. They're especially overpriced if you won't be affected by the switch to digital and therefore don't need one of these gizmos.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
NOTE: If you want surround sound audio (or any multi channel > 2 audio), you'll have to use an optical cable.

Audrey
Thanks for the tip on that. Great to know in case I falter and decide to take the plunge.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter82 View Post
Why buy? I haven't been overly impressed with the picture quality. Even if it were outstanding (and some are better than others, for sure), they're incredibly overpriced. They're especially overpriced if you won't be affected by the switch to digital and therefore don't need one of these gizmos.
Good question. Perhaps there's nothing left to upgrade to in my old home theatre system. The CRT TV I'm using was bought used over 24 years years ago, but still gives a decent colour rendition. The lowest priced 42 inch 720P replacement for it would cost about $750, and Soyo is not one of the top brands. Something that's well known, like a Sharp will cost me about double that price. The DVD player I'm using right now is just a standard one I bought about two years ago. It serves it's purpose, and no more. I don't think buying either a progressive scan or upconverting DVD player are going to improve the picture on my old CRT TV. If I bought a new DVD player for HDTV I would probably go with Blu-ray that can also play regular CD's for music, but this would add at least another $500 after tax to the total, or just buy a PS3 even though I'm not a gamer. The receiver I have is a five year old multi-channel, mid-hi-fi Yamaha, which I am more than happy to keep. No HDMI connection though. I have it running through five speakers I bought a few years ago, and I'm delighted with the sound. I don't look at TV channels so would just use the home theatre to watch rental DVD's or freebie loans from the local library.

....or I could always just keep what I have until the TV dies on me.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

The poor economic conditions in 2008 will prevent some consumers from buying high definition televisions.

I wonder if this effect will be enough to delay the FCC's ban of analog TV broadcasting in 2009?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
The poor economic conditions in 2008 will prevent some consumers from buying high definition televisions.

I wonder if this effect will be enough to delay the FCC's ban of analog TV broadcasting in 2009?
Don't think so. I don't see the connection in the move to digital over the air signals and high definition TV. None of us will have to buy a high definition TV for over the air reception, only a digital converter box (if the set doesn't already have a digital receiver). Those of us with analog sets already getting cable or satellite signals won't have to do anything.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #114

We "have" to have cable. In this area there are three broadcast channels, two of them religious, all snowy. Cable TV was invented in West Virginia for that reason. A guy put a tower on a mountain, amplified the signal and sold it. An industry was born.

History and scifi is about all I watch. When the price of HD gets reasonable (<$400) we'll think about it. Would rather see better programming.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
there are three broadcast channels, two of them religious, all snowy.
Seems God doesnt want you to watch them

The programming really is the thing. Half of the HD miracle is smoke and mirrors.

One of my friends added a room onto his house for a home theater, has the tiered seating, all the big speakers and a top of the line 1080p projector. He's tried comcast HD and directv HD.

Most of the channels arent in HD. Of the ones that are, only some of the programming is in HD. Of those, some are upconverted SD and some are lower 480/720 HD. And the quality of the actual HD stuff is varied by the cable/sat company lowering the supplied bit rate for each channel to allow more channels in the same bandwidth.

When we switched from the AFC game to the NFC game yesterday, it was obvious that the AFC game looked a lot better, so was probably getting a higher bitrate. He said you cant watch anything in HD on friday and saturday nights that isnt a PPV movie, because they give all the bandwidth to those so they look good...same problem on saturdays and sundays during the day because it all goes to HD sports.

And with cable, the first 99 channels still remain analog and unless theres an HD version of it on the upper channel tier (like ESPN and ESPN HD), you wont get any better picture than you're getting right now. In fact, on some HD sets display an analog SD picture looks worse than the same channel on an old analog set.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #116
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Seems God doesnt want you to watch them

The programming really is the thing. Half of the HD miracle is smoke and mirrors.

One of my friends added a room onto his house for a home theater, has the tiered seating, all the big speakers and a top of the line 1080p projector. He's tried comcast HD and directv HD.

Most of the channels arent in HD. Of the ones that are, only some of the programming is in HD. Of those, some are upconverted SD and some are lower 480/720 HD. And the quality of the actual HD stuff is varied by the cable/sat company lowering the supplied bit rate for each channel to allow more channels in the same bandwidth.

When we switched from the AFC game to the NFC game yesterday, it was obvious that the AFC game looked a lot better, so was probably getting a higher bitrate. He said you cant watch anything in HD on friday and saturday nights that isnt a PPV movie, because they give all the bandwidth to those so they look good...same problem on saturdays and sundays during the day because it all goes to HD sports.

And with cable, the first 99 channels still remain analog and unless theres an HD version of it on the upper channel tier (like ESPN and ESPN HD), you wont get any better picture than you're getting right now. In fact, on some HD sets display an analog SD picture looks worse than the same channel on an old analog set.
And then some of us who are very nearsighted and wear glasses that smear and get dirty often, can't really see the difference anyway.

My 42" plasma HDTV has beautiful colors and a nice, big picture. I love that about it. One of these days I will get a top-of-the-line digital cable package, though right now I am LBYM'ing with bare bones basic cable. I will enjoy having all the channels. As far as I can tell, I won't be able to see any difference at all with HDTV.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

When you flip from a non-HD picture to an HD picture, I can clearly see the difference, but five minutes later I'm not really noticing it anymore.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When you flip from a non-HD picture to an HD picture, I can clearly see the difference, but five minutes later I'm not really noticing it anymore.
The scientific term for this is "the Barley/Hops coefficient"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #119

Quote:

A brother-in-law went almost that far. I've been around long enough, and made enough mistakes, to wait. I spent $600 on a Sony Betamax once, and keep it in the basement to remind me of my stupidity.

My crystal ball is as cloudy as the next guy's but I'm betting that anything electronic will eventually be dirt cheap. If I win the lottery (maybe it would help if I bought a ticket once in a while?) I'll do it sooner.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me one of the motivations for getting an HDTV was getting away from paying for cable and satellite. I live just a couple of miles from the main TV transmission tower so I can get all the network channels in glorious high-bitrate HD for free with just a small $30 antenna by the window.

That saves about $400/year on cable which pays for the HDTV in a few years.

Of course one could get the same economic advantage with one of the converter boxes that will be given away for free by the FCC.