Flat panel HDTV is now a "necessity"

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Prices falling for high-tech toys -- OrlandoSentinel.com

"You now see flat-panel displays everywhere," said Tim Herbert, senior director of research at the Consumer Electronics Association.

"You see them in bars and restaurants. They're the first thing you see in warehouse stores like Costco. You see them in the living rooms of a lot of your friends. It's no longer something just for early adopters. It's moved from a luxury to a necessity."

yep. Just got a 46" Sharp LCD plus [-]had to have[/-] opted for a home theater upgrade (Yamaha receiver, Klipsch speakers). Really, really cool! (And I only spent about 3 times what I'd planned on!)

t.r.

I don't watch movies at home and don't want to pay extra for HDTV cable so I will pass on wide screen TV's. I might buy a 32in. digital 4/3 set for $250 until HDTV is the norm and no premium associated with it.;)

Hmm, a 42" LCD used to be $2,000 and is now only $1,357...!? Am I the only one who sees that as still being way too expensive?

I guess I just don't enjoy TV that much.

I don't watch movies at home and don't want to pay extra for HDTV cable so I will pass on wide screen TV's. I might buy a 32in. digital 4/3 set for $250 until HDTV is the norm and no premium associated with it.;)

Agreed. For now, my 27" analog TV works just fine. When over-the-air signals go digital, I'll simply spend $80 or so for a digital tuner.

Don't get me wrong, flat panels are nice. However, I'd rather spend my time in the gym or raising kids than sitting in front of the TV watching a program that doesn't really teach me anything.

When the old TV dies, I'll watch stuff on the laptop (I don't watch much).

Agreed. For now, my 27" analog TV works just fine. When over-the-air signals go digital, I'll simply spend $80 or so for a digital tuner.

I think the government is going to give you $40 per TV up to 2 to buy converters. :D

well I hope you've at least had the opportunity to see a true HD picture. (42" or bigger with 1080i/720p minimum resolution.) The difference to me (yes, I'm a techie; EE degree working for MegaTech) is sort of like when people heard their first radio broadcast; or maybe when Watson got that first phone call! ... well, maybe ...

t.r.

Don't get me wrong, flat panels are nice. However, I'd rather spend my time in the gym or raising kids than sitting in front of the TV watching a program that doesn't really teach me anything.

There are lots of TV programs that do teach you something. History channel, Military channel....etc

well I hope you've at least had the opportunity to see a true HD picture. ...

t.r.

I don't need higher resolution to watch the current crop of TV programs. I'd rather see better TV programming.

I don't need higher resolution to watch the current crop of TV programs. I'd rather see better TV programming.

Well, guess I pretty much agree. I don't really watch TV programs (though there are a few that I sometimes "look" at the pretty picture on; CSI shows come to mind); mostly I watch sports and some of the cool Nature shows on the special HD channels.

Last edited:

Exactly. Watching the same predictable, unrealistic, by-the-formula shows in HD has no appeal. Frankly, I hardly even notice the HD'ness of these shows/movies when I've watched them at a friends home. When the movie is over, what do you think about: the crisp lines and vibrant colors, or the storyline, plot twists, and the character development?

But, I'm not normal: I'd listen to a good "book on tape" through a $10 AM radio rather than hear the top 5 Brittany Spears tunes played repeatedly over crystal-clear digital satellite radio. If the marketplace offerings are any guide, nobody else is like this.

MILs eyesight is fading so we bought her a 32" flatscreen CRT off craigslist for $150: Sony Wega. She loves it. The rush to flat panels has made CRTs nearly worthless.

we just got our flat panel installed on the wall - funny thing was that for the past 6 months or so, we'd been watching the TV w/ out the HD cable - so not really experiencing the quality - i remember thinking - this isn't so great - what's the big deal.

Then the guy put the HD cable in and i said Ohhhh! duh...

We've been browsing at the new TVs and checking prices. I admit they are BEAUTIFUL and the prices have come down. I know eventually we'll get one, but I'm not in a big hurry. With DirecTV the picture quality is quite nice already, although I know HDTV would look spectacular for the HD channels.

So we will just coast along on what we already have. Seeing that we'd be getting the same shows that we get now, and with the writer's strike sending so many shows into repeats, I don't feel the urge to jump on the HD bandwagon right now.

Our older son thinks we should get one already. I've told him that he's free to buy an HDTV and I'll let him store it in our living room for free!

There are lots of TV programs that do teach you something. History channel, Military channel....etc

Yes, but then there's that "pesky" $60-$100 a month cable bill to contend with, which I have "opted out" on for 20 years.........;)

I've noticed a correlation between how much couch time I spend watching tv and movies, and how "wide" I am. Right now I have a little 17-inch and watch very little, and my weight is almost under control. If I got a wide-screen.... yikes. Bring out the wheelbarrow.

We bought a 42" inch plasma TV earlier this year when our small CRT TV died. I tought it was crazy to buy such a big TV given the size of our family room, but my wife really wanted it. So since we are already saving 35% of our income and don't have kids, I thought, what the heck, we might as well splurge a little on some cool toys. Since then I have changed my mind. I LOVE our new TV. I watched "planet earth" on Discovery the other night and the picture was incredible.

But even though we could easily afford one, I still think such a gadget remains a luxury, not a necessity.

I have a nice 50" HDTV with some low end speakers (C&Vs) and an Onkyo reciever, but dont do cable at all. I use an HD-DVD player + Netflix for HD content and download lots of TV shows (mostly BBC stuff) and stream it to the TV using an XBOX360.

Its always funny when people come over and see my tv and want to watch a cable show. The look on their face when I try to explain why I dont carry cable is priceless!

Unless you absolutely need the space or want a T.V. in a place that doesn't have room, I don't get the flat panel thing. I bought a 50" Sony HDTV LCD projector t.v., it's about 8-10 inches thick, and it cost half the price of a flat panel, and the picture is great!

Yes, but then there's that "pesky" $60-$100 a month cable bill to contend with, which I have "opted out" on for 20 years.........;)
Spouse has been happy with her 32" CRT (the kid has a 20") but I've noticed that the cable company keeps nudging the bill a little higher every year. $48/month seems a pretty hefty price to pay for Disney, HGTV, and "America's Next Top Model" reruns.

No one in our family has been interested in reducing their TV habit, but I finally got spouse's attention when I pointed out that our cable TV bill is now twice the size of our electric bill, nearly double our phone bill, 50% higher than our DSL bill, and half of our water/sewer bill.

I'm really hoping that a la carte pricing catches on...

I just got basic cable 3 months ago for $12/mo. I'm not ready to pay $85/mo. for HD cable. Maybe when I'm so old I can't do anything else I'll buy all the home entertainment bells and whistles.
In the mean time I'll take the money I save and buy a couple bottles of wine and 2/3 lbs. of Gulf shrimp or maybe some nice cigars each month. :D

Unless you absolutely need the space or want a T.V. in a place that doesn't have room, I don't get the flat panel thing. I bought a 50" Sony HDTV LCD projector t.v., it's about 8-10 inches thick, and it cost half the price of a flat panel, and the picture is great!

I have heard that the projection TV's have two bulbs that last 2/3 years and cost $200 each to replace.:(

I have been looking at Samsung's LED DLP TV. The live of the bulb on a regular projection TV is from 4K TO 6k hours. On the LED TV it is over 20K. Our tv is on most of the day, so I would go through a 4K bulb fairly quickly. The Samsung also uses three DLP chips (Red,Green,Blue) so it does not have the rainbow effect of other earlier DLP's. If anyone has had any experience with this TV, I would like to hear it.

Exactly. Watching the same predictable, unrealistic, by-the-formula shows in HD has no appeal. Frankly, I hardly even notice the HD'ness of these shows/movies when I've watched them at a friends home. When the movie is over, what do you think about: the crisp lines and vibrant colors, or the storyline, plot twists, and the character development?

quote]

Well for me on the fringe of reception... and with a storm or something... I get a LOT of snow and other interference in the analog signal... heck, most of the time I can not even see the football on a field goal.. have to wait for the signal!!! Would love to get HD, but not willing to pay for it yet...

Back
Top Bottom