Join Early Retirement Today

Florida Active Living
Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Florida Active Living

Does anyone live in a golfing, 55+ active living community in Florida that is NOT THE VILLAGES?

Would be interested in hearing how you like it, where it is etc. Did you consider the Villages and decide against it? Happy where you are?

Thanks. We like the Villages but might want something a little less Disneyesque.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Southshore Falls and Valencia Lakes were recommended to me by a guy who was on this forum for a few days called Billness. They are in/near Tampa.
His background was selling these types of places outside Chicago, but now is a clearinghouse for many places all over the country, so the information should be excellent.
I looked and see he hasn't been on this site for awhile, so have no idea if he will be back or not. If he does come back, I'd strongly urge you to contact him as he is a source of fantastic information all over the country for 55+ places I should think.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

There are so many of these communities in Florida . Most golf communities even if they are not 55+ that is what they attract . Pick out an area first and then look for the community . My sister lives in Glen Lakes in Weeki Wachee and she loves it . It is very nice just a little too remote for me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the good ideas.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Southshore Falls and Valencia Lakes were recommended to me by a guy who was on this forum for a few days called Billness. They are in/near Tampa.
DW just showed and toured a place in Valencia Lakes. She liked it a lot. Great shared recreational facilities, active 55 and older and no kids allowed for more than a few weeks, i.e. no young residents for better or worse. $450K will get you the whole enchilada, but you can spend a lot less.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There are so many of these communities in Florida . Most golf communities even if they are not 55+ that is what they attract . Pick out an area first and then look for the community . My sister lives in Glen Lakes in Weeki Wachee and she loves it . It is very nice just a little too remote for me .
Here is the lowest end house in the community. Not bad but I can get the same house here in the $170k range. Not Florida, but golf course just around the corner.

GlenLakes - Audubon

I actually hope to build a small cabin type house in the country one day. Maybe something like this. Well maybe not..........

Cabin 26
Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #7

I live just a few miles north of Valencia Lakes and have toured the community. It's very well done with various home types; however, it is not a golf course community. Pleanty of golf in the area but NOT within Valencia Lakes. It's just around the corner from Sun City which is a 75+ community.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
That's some cabin in the woods!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

That's some cabin in the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Here is the lowest end house in the community. Not bad but I can get the same house here in the $170k range. Not Florida, but golf course just around the corner.

GlenLakes - Audubon

I actually hope to build a small cabin type house in the country one day. Maybe something like this. Well maybe not..........

Cabin 26
Thanks for the photos. At least you won't need to spend much on AC when you build that cabin!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
Thanks for the photos. At least you won't need to spend much on AC when you build that cabin!
Just a block of ice and a hand fan. Much cheaper than what I'm having installed this week.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #10

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here seems to be so many over 55's there--why would you have to live in a Sun City type place to be with other geezers? Maybe it's just me....(I don't play golf).
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't necessarily need to live around geezers....but I want to live where most everyone is retired and free to pursue activities, friendships etc. Working folks don't have time to invest in new friendships and joint activities.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
I don't necessarily need to live around geezers....but I want to live where most everyone is retired and free to pursue activities, friendships etc. Working folks don't have time to invest in new friendships and joint activities.

I've lived in Florida for fourteen years and the developments with mainly retirees way outnumber the developments with the working folk . So just look for a development that has activities and a golf course if you want one and you are good to go .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #13

Geezers to me is anyone over 55+--like me!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife and I live about 9 miles south of the villages near Lake Harris. There are a few retirement neighborhoods around here and they cover almost any kind of place you would want to live in. The prices are right now because of the investors selling off. It is quite and has lots to do. There are plenty of golf courses and fishing holes around and some great biking and hiking trails. feel free to pm me if you wish, I can tell you some names of the neighborhoods around me.
rpow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

rpow53, just a howdy from a guy 30 miles south of the villages.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

How you doing kowski? good to hear from someone that lives close to my neck of the woods. I look at the posts every day or so to see whats going on and to pick up good info. we moved here from n. calif a couple years ago and love it. there is always something to do and some one new to meet. isn't life great here. take care and have fun.
Bob
rpow53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55+ community, active living, golf