Florida property taxes - need help understanding, please!

s

2004 and before seems ok then? I have been looking at condos just a little older cause they are so much cheaper (like 1998+/-) and already established.

I agree that the wise thing to do is rent for a year, but, as a single woman, the idea of packing up a second time does not thrill me at all. When I moved up north 6 years ago, due to circumstances, I had to move 3 times in a year and a half...ugh...may I repeat that? Ugh!
I don’t want to generalize too much. Older places have their share of problems as well, but they are more of the “too much refinancing” type. The problems you mention – buildings without enough owners, HOA closing – these are more likely in buildings built after ’06, when things got really bubbly, and owners simply backed out or walked away. Either way, the HOA has to publish financial statements and answer your specific questions, and if they can’t, or won’t, well that’s a clear sign of trouble.

Moving, renting, moving again – it is a PITA. (My DW told me that my next move will be as a single man) It is easy advice to give but that doesn't make it any less worthwhile. A big advantage is you get to spend a year eyeballing the properties, the neighborhoods, local business, the traffic and also get a much better feel for personal security and local financial issues.

You can still do much of that from afar. Like Kroeran suggested – city data florida and other forums. Look at local bond issues – their credit ratings tell you so much. By now most of the financial issues communities are dealing with are out in the open - you just need to start reading local or regional press.

Just to be clear – I’m not trying to sell FL, but there aren’t any issues here that you won’t fine elsewhere. Don't know if prices are competitive but they sure are down a lot.

I agree that the wise thing to do is rent for a year, but, as a single woman, the idea of packing up a second time does not thrill me at all. When I moved up north 6 years ago, due to circumstances, I had to move 3 times in a year and a half...ugh...may I repeat that? Ugh!
Why not book a seasonal rental and keep your place up north. What you save in an eventual purchase could more than compensate for the added cost.

The best alternative would be a seasonal rental in a prospective building but that will be harder because most of those are likely recent buildings. There is no better time to be a knowledgable prospective purchaser in Florida.

I received my Florida property tax trim notice today. Had a good laugh although it's not funny.

They lowered the value of my house by 45K and raised the tax rate so my taxes went up 50 bucks for the year. Amazing what the government can do. Thank God the new politicians running for office are all going to lower are taxes when elected.
RIGHT!

Yup, I'm telling all my friends to move to Florida, move there money to AG Edwards, buy annuities and whole life policies. Oh yeah, and don't forget to vote.

I received my Florida property tax trim notice today. Had a good laugh although it's not funny.

They lowered the value of my house by 45K and raised the tax rate so my taxes went up 50 bucks for the year. Amazing what the government can do. Thank God the new politicians running for office are all going to lower are taxes when elected.
RIGHT!
My Florida property tax bill was down 6% in ’09 and another 16% this year. Property taxes are still unfairly burdened on more recent homebuyers but the difference is falling, and will probably continue to do so for another couple of years. Good.

My Florida property tax bill was down 6% in ’09 and another 16% this year. Property taxes are still unfairly burdened on more recent homebuyers but the difference is falling, and will probably continue to do so for another couple of years. Good.

yes, my Lee County taxes are down in that range as well

some smart money that can afford otherwise rents in Florida and stashes the house equity dollars somewhere else

Yup, I'm telling all my friends to move to Florida, move there money to AG Edwards, buy annuities and whole life policies. Oh yeah, and don't forget to vote.

are you also opposed to simple vanilla annuities as a hedge against outliving your money?

are you also opposed to simple vanilla annuities as a hedge against outliving your money?

Yup, any investment that has anything to do with an insurance company is not for me. I'd rather work than buy and annuity.

Our property taxes were down 10% last year.

Get a reputable realtor who can help steer you through the details.

Of the 3 states we lived in over the past 20 years, Fla was no more or less complicated from a tax or any other standpoint. Every state has its eccentricities. From a global cost of living standpoint, there wasn't a difference large enough to factor into our decisions. And that absence of an income tax in my peak earning years was helpful (won't hurt during ER either).

My advice is to find a place you want to live the most and understand but don't exaggerate the other stuff when decision time comes around. And be aware that Florida's regions are very different from one another, maybe more than in many states, so check out the panhandle, South Florida, and the Gulf Coast areas if you are interested.

I still contend that they just make up #'s and hope for the best and see if you'll pay it with out complaining.

That's how it generally works in the five county Chicago area....... Oh yeah, they also know how you voted and if you're standing against "The Machine," well, that could cost ya a few bucks too!

please educate me on this

I've mentioned this before so I'll give you some brief info.
I was sold 3 Whole Life Policies in my life, all 3 ended up in litigation and class actions because of the way they were sold. I don't believe that any brokers or ins companies are selling these products in my best interest. This has been my experience and I wish I was smarter earlier.

The Judge, ruling on one of the whole life policies awarded me 31K the year before last. When speaking to Mass Mutual they told me my broker had since died. They had another broker call me to form a relationship and the only thing he did was try and convince me to cash in my policy and buy an annuity from him. Do you think he was doing this in my best interest? Or his?

ok, I see what happened to you and I can empathize, having been brutalized by a different part of the financial sales sector.

the thing is, these are all guys trying to make a living and pay their mortgage and put kids through school...why would you think they would put your self interest ahead of their own families'? pretty much everyone has to learn this the hard way...including myself.

that being said, simple vanilla non-guaranteed annuities appear to me to be the only way to purchase the equivalent of a defined benefit pension and reduce the risk of outliving your money, and as a strategy for investing money for a naive survivor.

There are no whistles and bells, the deliverable is transparent, and the pricing is very competitive....I am open to being convinced otherwise.

I suspect insurance salesmen hate them, just like they hate me when I stick money in laddered FDIC guaranteed 5 year GICs at 3.5%.

I read a little bit of another thread you started about annuities. Seems that the charts end at the end of 08 and that was near the worst down turn in the market in 80 years. I think that if it ran further or a different time frame that the market would out do the annuities.

Yes, I'm glad to hear the money I paid for my whole life policies went to a good cause. Putting the brokers kids through college. I've done my part and I'm moving on, I'll stick with Vanguard and what ever happens happens.

that works as long as there is a sophisticated investor at the wheel. Perhaps, if something goes wrong, there would be a house that could be sold to finance the last mile.

For some, you have to think ahead to who your spouse will be depending on emotionally after you croak, and how they may try to influence or take over or outright steal the investments.

An auto transfer of your portfolio into simple annuities would eliminate a lot of these risks, and this is what I have told my mother to do should I predecease her.

My wife will never consider converting cash to income, and will therefore work longer and live smaller, and make our neices and nephews very happy one day.

Amazon.com: Die Broke: A Radical Four-Part Financial Plan (9780887309427): Stephen Pollan, Mark Levine: Books

http://www.moneysmartsblog.com/book-review-die-broke/

If it's just about income then you should lock up the money with Pen Fed for 10 years at 5%.

Back
Top Bottom