Florida visit before moving

inkitnow

Recycles dryer sheets
We are coming to the west coast of FL in Aug or Sept for a week to "see for ourselves" Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice, Punta Gorda and Lakewood Ranch.

Any suggestions on where we might stay? Don't want to spend too much on this fact finding trip - but want to get a real taste of the area and be near shops, restaurants and the beach.

Thanks all.

August & September are really off months in Florida so I would suggest you take the opportunity and stay at the beach . You could spend one week on Anna Marie Island . That way you could explore Bradenton,Sarasota & Lakewood Ranch . Spend the next week in Venice .The Inn at the Beach is nice . Across from the beach and an easy walk to lots of restaurants . Punta Gourda is an easy drive from Venice .

you realise Sept 6 is peak of hurricane season and most uncomfortable time of year?

would be cooler right on the beach though.

why not check out stretch below Fort Myers, starting with South Fort Myers below Page Field then on down to Marco Island?

this is my things to do list for the area

- Sarasota Barnum and Bailey Museum and Mansion tour
- Gasparilla Inn, small strip of shops and Lighthouse (Area History) Museum
- Babcock Wilderness tour
- Punta Gorda Fisherman's Wharf mall and boat tours
- Arcadia antique row
- Matlatcha shops (small strip off of the Cape)
- various ferry's to islands
- Downtown Fort Myers River District clubs (careful after dark with surrouding area!)
- Burroughs Mansion Tour (I think just Fridays)
- Captiva (shelling at sancap gap, greenflash restaurant)
- Sanibel (lighthouse park and pier, Ding Darling nature walk/drive/bike/kayak, go low tide dawn/dusk)
- Lovers Key park, Dog Beach Park, low tide!!!
- Ferry to Key West
- Bell Tower Shops, Total Wine, Barnes & Noble & World Market across street
- 6 mile slough park on 6 mile Cypress Fort Myers, free tour at 9 am I think
- Sun Harvest Citrus on 6 mile Cypress (great Orange ice cream)
- Dinner Train murder mystery
- Gannons Antiques on trail
- Coconut Mall (outdoor, big!, expensive)
- Koreshan Historic Site (old cult site)
- Estero River Kayaking tour, amazing
- Corkscrew Swamp boardwalk park, gators!
- Miromar Outlets (cheap!)
- Waterside Mall (expensive!)
- Naples 5th avenue (expensive!)
- 5th Avenue Segway tour based west of Tin City
- Naples Pier and shopping area over there (can't remember which street)...insanely expensive
- Tin City Naples (cheap! tacky touristy, great for lunch)
- Conservancy everglades electric boat tour
- Marco Island Tiger Tail Beach, go at low tide, trust me
- Marco Island Stilts Restaurant - go low wind day
- Everglades City, Park, Airboat tours (I have not been down there yet)
- Ave Maria town (if you are Catholic or are curious about unusual stuff)

you realise Sept 6 is peak of hurricane season and most uncomfortable time of year?

If you are going to move there, that would be the time to go. If you can stand that, you can stand the rest of the year.

Don't forget Largo! We are close to the beach and we have convenient shopping and good restaurants. We also have an outstanding library, the Largo Cultural Center with plays and performances, and a new community center being built as we speak. There are two airports within 25 minutes, Tampa and St. Pete/Clearwater and the other places you are considering are only a short drive away! :cool:

We moved down from OH in August and we love it.

Is the St. Petersburg peninsula more moderate in the summer than across the bay?

I don't know the answer to your question. I compared temperature averages for Tampa and St. Pete and they look to be pretty close. It always seems we are a couple of degrees cooler than Tampa and St. Pete here in Largo. About 2 degrees cooler than both right now.

Back
Top Bottom