Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We live in the Houston area (me, basically my whole life).... but DW wants to move to Europe when the kids get out of college... I say no... but will visit for longer times... another place she likes is Belize.... again, no....

So, she is thinking Florida... we have been to the state a few times and she like the weather and beaches more than in Texas...

The hill country in Texas gets hotter, but not as humid.... but 100+ degrees is hot even without humidity... it is also DRY... go out to west Texas and it is even drier.... also, not many cities out there if you are looking for what my DW calls culture... if you like the outdoors, it is great....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Comparison: Climate Jacksonville, FL - Houston, TX

Climate Comparison Highlights
Jacksonville has 35.1% more rainy days and 8.0% more Sunny Days than Houston.

On the BestPlaces comfort index, Jacksonville scores 18.9% better than Houston

CLIMATE Houston Jacksonville United States
Rainfall (in.) 51.4 52.3 36.5
Snowfall (in.) 0.1 0.1 25
Precipitation Days 80 114 100
Sunny Days 204 221 205
Avg. July High 93 92 86.5
Avg. Jan. Low 45.8 42.5 20.5
Comfort Index (higher=better) 24 29 44
UV Index 6.1 5.8 4.3
Elevation ft. 52 12 1,443
Best Places Comfort Index
With the Best Places Comfort Index higher values represent a more comfortable climate. The Comfort Index measure recognizes that humidity by itself isn't the problem. (Have you noticed nobody ever complains about the weather being 'cold and humid'?) It's in the summertime that we notice the humidity the most, when it's hot and muggy. Our Comfort Index uses a combination of afternoon summer temperature and humidity to closely predict the effect that the humidity will have on people.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in central Florida, and am currently spending the winter in Jacksonville helping my sister renovate a small house in one of the city's historic districts. We plan to move down here to live in the winter after living in the Midwest since 1991.
I've noticed that I see few out of state tags on my daily drives through the city. My siblings tell me it is because the weather is not as warm as it would be south of say, Orlando. We spent January in Fernandina Beach and I was struck by how few people we saw on the beach on our daily walk, but again, the weather is cooler in this part of the state.
Jacksonville is very large and the traffic is predictably heavy during rush hour and on Fridays when people head out to the beach. It has a diverse population and lots of small ethnic restaurants. The city is making attempts to make bicycle riding more safe, but the fact remains that Jacksonville has one of the state's highest mortality rates for bicyclists. I don't see very many people cycling. Fernandina Beach, however, had many bike paths and slower moving traffic. It made going on daily errands much easier.
We are moving here to be closer to family, and though my husband would prefer the warmer areas of central Florida where he grew up as well, I like the climate here. The past two months has been something of an extended fall for me : )

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We live in the Houston area (me, basically my whole life).... but DW wants to move to Europe when the kids get out of college... I say no... but will visit for longer times... another place she likes is Belize.... again, no....
DW and I spent a lot of time discussing and visiting potential retirement locations until the first grandbaby was born. After that, it was where to live to be close. I wouldn't be surprised that your DW makes the same transition. I have trouble getting her out of the area for more than 2 weeks at a shot.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We'll be leaving the upper Midwest. We're tired of the snow. No kids or grandkids to worry about. We want something warmer. Wife would like to be near a beach. She wants to keep working, and we would like to be in a larger town than where we live now.

I just picked Jacksonville off the map. I thought it was a little more North in Florida, so maybe not as hot by a degree or two. We think we'd like the ocean side beaches better. Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, and looks like there is potential for work there.

We want to move to a ranch style home. There are tons of those in our price range around Jacksonville and Tampa. When we look at other cities along the East coast, we see fewer options.

So it's work for her, housing type/availability, near a beach, weather. We'll probably end up in Jacksonville or Tampa. We're not in a hurry, so we'll keep looking for the right job opportunity for her and hope to visit there late this summer.

Her work takes her to Houston occasionally, and she said she wouldn't live there. Heat and humidity is the biggest concern in Jacksonville. If she doesn't find a job there quickly, we'll try to visit in July, August and see what it's like.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
DW and I spent a lot of time discussing and visiting potential retirement locations until the first grandbaby was born. After that, it was where to live to be close. I wouldn't be surprised that your DW makes the same transition. I have trouble getting her out of the area for more than 2 weeks at a shot.

That is what I am hoping, but she insists not....

Then again, my sons has talked about moving to Europe... his first 8 years he lived there.... DW does not remember any of it....
Old 02-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #27

Texas however is a huge state that has wide climate variation. In the east you have essentially the Climate of Florida (Houston), Houston gets 46 inches of precip a year, San Antonio around 28, El Paso under 14, Dallas around 30 Lubbock and Amarillo around 18. With the amount of rainfall you have different vegetation ranging from Pine Trees in the east to no trees just grass in Notrees (near Midland). Here is a link to the precipitation map:texas precipitation map
Note also as you go northwest from the coast the amount of winter weather increases to a max in the Panhandle and Mountains. But to view Texas weather as that of Houston is not correct.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #28

There are lots more places to consider in TX than Houston. If you are seriously comparing the two states, you might check out other areas.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you come, bring water. We're almost out.
+1

We had what we considered to be our "forever home" at the time - waterfront home at the foot of the hill country complete with boat dock and cruiser.

Then the lake dried up, the boat dock sat on dry ground, and I was lucky enough to find a buyer who was satisfied with the thought that the water will someday come back.

Now we live in a large home in a development 12 minutes from downtown Austin.

We spent a lot of time looking at Florida. Found the overall cost of living to be much higher than central Texas. There's something about being on a major interstate a few hours from Mexico that keeps produce prices down, meat and other staples are cheaper, insurance is cheaper, gas is cheaper, and while property taxes are roughly 50% higher in Texas another poster already pointed out how that can be rationalized.

We are water people, so lakes/ocean are a big thing for us. We've found that while Texas Gulf Coast waters are not the most pristine in the nation, you can drive, camp, park an RV, build campfires, etc. on Texas beaches for literally no cost besides a $12 annual parking permit. Not so in Florida.

Then there is something I heard mentioned on the radio the other day how large Texas cities are very distinctly "economically segregated". Not to start any discussions on the pros and cons of that, but I thought at the time how that is very much true and I didn't see that to the same extent in Florida.

So we've decided to stay in Texas and when we get the itch for some Florida we'll fly there for a couple of weeks or take a road trip.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live in central Florida just outside of Orlando, about 20 minutes to Walt Disney World. Have been in this area for 18 years. I grew up in Chicago and then lived in Philadelphia for 20 years. Florida seems like a huge step up because of the weather, but also a huge step down because of the culture. Depends on what you are wanting to gain as well as willing to give up.

I have been to Jacksonville several times, and it's nice. Gainesville and the St. Augustine area are nicer in my opinion, and have similar weather as Jacksonville. The entire state is pretty hot in the summers, but the more northern counties are slightly cooler in the winters.

We have had a lovely winter....mostly 60's-70's and sunny, which is typical. Only occasionally does it get colder than 50's even at night.

I have been to San Antonio, Texas in July....and it seemed hotter to me than it was in Florida. But that is a one-time anecdotal experience.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have been to San Antonio, Texas in July....and it seemed hotter to me than it was in Florida. But that is a one-time anecdotal experience.
I was in Miami and then Islamorada/Key West last August and thought that it actually felt cooler there then it did in Austin.

I'll be back in Orlando next week for a couple of weeks, then for three weeks in June and a couple more trips before the end of the year. We have AP's to both WDW and USO and those attractions as well as proximity to either coast were a big reason we considered moving to your area.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #32

Lived in Jax 18 years; while the weather was better than inland FL the summers still seemed awfully long for us midwesterners. Would never consider it again as it's too big and crowded, although might consider the beach communities.

Since leaving visited DD and her family several times when they were in Houston. It seemed the summers were more oppressive there, plus it's got the same bigness problem Jax has IMO. And the beach? Wouldn't consider it a beach.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Texas has extremely high property taxes and they seem to go up above inflation every year no matter if your assessment stays flat or down.

Florida the humidity is unpleasant and having to evacuate during the hurricane season is a major hassle (to say the least).

You may want to look at Tucson (lots of good health care, nice winters) or Las Cruces (close to good health care, decent winters).
Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

i have spent 20+ years living in each state and I found joy in living in each place. Flip a coin and vacation in the other place.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
i have spent 20+ years living in each state and I found joy in living in each place. Flip a coin and vacation in the other place.
Or create a spreadsheet and figure out which one makes the most sense financially to have residency in.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Comparison: Climate Jacksonville, FL - Houston, TX

On the BestPlaces comfort index, Jacksonville scores 18.9% better than Houston
Interesting site - thanks for posting.

Just for grins, I put in Austin instead of Houston and it says that Austin climate is worse that Houston. Having lived in both cities, I beg to differ. Even though Austin is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter, the Houston summer humidity is oppressive. At least in Austin some of the summer days are tolerable if you are in the shade - doesn't make any difference in Houston.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Florida is your best choice.
Beware of REWahoo. I'm fairly certain the state pays him a commission for every person he dissuades from moving to Texas.
Several years ago all the talk about scorpions, snakes, and water shortages drove us out of San Antonio--Now I have 8 inches of snow on my driveway.

Move to Texas--It's paradise...
Old 02-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Beware of REWahoo. I'm fairly certain the state pays him a commission for every person he dissuades from moving to Texas.
Several years ago all the talk about scorpions, snakes, and water shortages drove us out of San Antonio--Now I have 8 inches of snow on my driveway.

Move to Texas--It's paradise...
....and no snakes or scorpions..... and you can covert that snow to water!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Not sure of the timeframe, but they were talking about Texas on one of those financial cable shows.... said that 23% of all jobs created over the past few years were in Texas...

So, it is a requirement for you to work if you come...
Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Interesting site - thanks for posting.

Just for grins, I put in Austin instead of Houston and it says that Austin climate is worse that Houston. Having lived in both cities, I beg to differ. Even though Austin is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter, the Houston summer humidity is oppressive. At least in Austin some of the summer days are tolerable if you are in the shade - doesn't make any difference in Houston.
Having lived in both cities, I agree that Houston weather is worse than Austin. My experience of Austin and eastern hill country locations is that the humidity can be oppressive in the summer. Houston humidity is oppressive more months than that! We live 350 miles south of Austin, and our summers are much drier even though the thermometer climbs pretty high in the summer.