Florida vs. Texas

I lived in S. Florida as a teenager. The traffic was awful even back then, but I don't recall that "old people" were the problem on the highways...it was more the reckless, speeding, crossing-4-lanes-at-a-whim drivers of pickup trucks sitting high on giant tires. OK, to put it bluntly, rednecks. I don't know; maybe they've been crowded out by now.

"Old People" were a real menace in parking lots, however. The many oldsters who had lost the ability to turn their heads, simply relied on their mirrors when backing out. This, combined with their tendency to drive huge vehicles (for "safety") with bad rear visibility, deceived them into thinking they had a clear space to back out, which of course led to wham. Nowadays, one hopes, the old folks' huge vehicles have the rear-view camera option.

Amethyst

Really bad drivers are not in accidents, they cause them.

There is no doubt in my mind Florida drivers are more dangerous than anywhere else I have driven, and that includes plenty of Latin America. It is not statewide, though, instead heavily concentrated in South Florida. It is also not specific to any gender, age, or ethnic origin (although I do agree with Silver's post on backing out of driveways). Driving around Atlanta is also pretty bad.

I lived in S. Florida as a teenager. The traffic was awful even back then, but I don't recall that "old people" were the problem on the highways...it was more the reckless, speeding, crossing-4-lanes-at-a-whim drivers of pickup trucks sitting high on giant tires. OK, to put it bluntly, rednecks. I don't know; maybe they've been crowded out by now.

"Old People" were a real menace in parking lots, however. The many oldsters who had lost the ability to turn their heads, simply relied on their mirrors when backing out. This, combined with their tendency to drive huge vehicles (for "safety") with bad rear visibility, deceived them into thinking they had a clear space to back out, which of course led to wham. Nowadays, one hopes, the old folks' huge vehicles have the rear-view camera option.

Amethyst

The last time I was in Florida I found most older retirees in the central and northern parts of the state. Miami was like another country. Orlando was solid concrete with funny full size mice all over the place. But once you get into the "communities" it was blue and silver hair territory (gads! I'm getting into that age group!).

Back up cameras just give you a sense of what is directly behind you and not what's about to ram into you from the side.

Memories of my late parents, before they left FL. DM is in a nursing home needs to see her DR. All the kids happened to be visiting, really there for a family meeting.
We convinced DF he needs to hire medical transport for DM. I'm driving DFs up front to give directions my 2 dear sisters in the back. Well the van gets ahead of us due to a school zone. DF started freaking out "gotta catch up son, there's a place you can hop up on that other lane and pass that guy on the right". It was the sidewalk!! I have no dought that DF would have made that move if he was driving.

Memories of my late parents, before they left FL. DM is in a nursing home needs to see her DR. All the kids happened to be visiting, really there for a family meeting.
We convinced DF he needs to hire medical transport for DM. I'm driving DFs up front to give directions my 2 dear sisters in the back. Well the van gets ahead of us due to a school zone. DF started freaking out "gotta catch up son, there's a place you can hop up on that other lane and pass that guy on the right". It was the sidewalk!! I have no dought that DF would have made that move if he was driving.
It seems you are only criticizing his problem solving skills and creativity. Some son you are. :cool:

I have lived in Florida and I currently live in Houston. Both are hot as heck in the summer and are quite humid.

The things I like about Houston are the winters, the diversity of so many things to get into and diversity of people, the can do spirit, the art & culture scene, the sports, the entrepreneur spirit is alive & well here, easy to fly out of, lower cost of living, etc.

I was able to retire early due to lower housing and cost of living.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

When we first arrived in Texas in 1987 one our neighbors, a transplant from Boston warned us about the drivers. He said that Texans had gone straight from the horse to the pickup and they drive their pickup just like they ride their horse.

Last week at 7:30am we were driving to the gym and saw an SUV in the lane on our right veering around a little. At the next light we could see what the issue was. The driver was obviously going to work and had her suit jacket draped over the steering wheel while she wielded one of those lint pickup rollers. I made sure to hang back when we moved off and she continued her wavy journey for a short while before turning right into the town center.

I've been in Texas my whole adult life. Mostly in North Texas. Have lots of friends in Houston, so we've spent a lot of time there over the years. But that would be my absolute last choice on where to live in this state. We love the Hill Country, and would move there in a heartbeat. But we'll stay put for a while longer mainly due to family and DW still working OMY.

Texas is always ranked in the top 5 states for lowest overall tax burden. No income tax, but property tax averages around 2% of fair market value, and sales tax is high at about 8.25% average. In our case, we don't have much income anymore, but we own a large primary residence and two rental homes. So it feels like we pay a lot of tax.

Overall, we like the weather in North Texas. There are two months of extreme cold in the winter, and two months of extreme heat in the summer. But otherwise, 8 months of relatively moderate temperatures, lots of sunshine, and low humidity, which allows for plenty of outdoor activities. We do get thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes every spring, but I've never actually seen a tornado, except on the news. And while homeowner's insurance is pricey as a result, on the bright-side, everybody gets a new roof for free every 5 years or so. :)

Cost of living is quite reasonable. We typically have gasoline prices that are lower than the national average. Very affordable housing, with high-quality homes available for $90-100/sqft. Food seems quite reasonable as well. Good schools and the unemployment rate is generally well below the national average.

I've never lived in Florida, but having grown up on the Gulf Coast and spent lots of time in Houston, that is NOT the weather I want in retirement. The central highlands of Costa Rica look pretty good though.

......In FL you get people from everywhere, including Canada. And they're all really old. As my friend says when we get stuck behind someone doing 20 mph below the speed limit in the left hand lane, "don't get mad. They're planning on turning somewhere in the next 10 miles or so".
And we have fire ants too.

First time I went to FL, I was blown away by how fast , as in Crazy fast people drove on the main roads near Crystal Beach FL.

I get criticized when visiting old friends in Canada about my aggressive driving habits from the U.S. so its not like I'm doing a Sunday drive.

Some of those FL folks seem to be wanting to speed up their arrival in heaven by driving the way they do. :greetings10:

First time I went to FL, I was blown away by how fast , as in Crazy fast people drove on the main roads near Crystal Beach FL.

I get criticized when visiting old friends in Canada about my aggressive driving habits from the U.S. so its not like I'm doing a Sunday drive.

Some of those FL folks seem to be wanting to speed up their arrival in heaven by driving the way they do. :greetings10:

+1

We visited my sister in the Tampa area. once. Those drivers were the worst I have ever seen. Not the old ones. the younger ones that cut directly across 3 lanes through marginal spaces between cars to get to a quick stop or gas station. The ones that merge by zooming onto a crowded freeway seemingly with their eyes closed. And we did notice a third group of 'drivers': the folks that have lost their driver license and travel on old rusty looking one speed bicycles. They also cut across roads with a total sense of abandon.

I think this is a characteristic of a lot of drivers all over the state..... I been to FL many times and I have often wondered if people who drive on I-95 think that's the speed limit and not the Interstate Highway Number. Of course we have our share of speed demons in Texas too but we do have speed limits on a few (toll) highways as high as 85mph. Which means many people drive ~90mph on those highways even when the cops :police: are in sight. (IMHO, that's far too fast for most people to drive safely)

Last edited:
I think this is a characteristic of a lot of drivers all over the state..... I been to FL many times and I have often wondered if people who drive on I-95 think that's the speed limit and not the Interstate Highway Number. Of course we have our share of speed demons in Texas too but we have speed limits on a few highways as high as 85mph. Which means many people drive ~90mph on those highways even when the cops are in sight. (IMHO, that's far too fast for most people to drive safely)

It should be noted that outside of toll roads the 80 mph speed limit is in the middle of nowhere, for example From west of Kerrville to east of El Paso on I 10 and I 20 from Monahans to I 10. Most of Tx has a 75 mph limit outside of major metros on freeways.

(Have you noticed nobody ever complains about the weather being 'cold and humid'?) It's in the summertime that we notice the humidity the most, when it's hot and muggy.

I beg to differ.
The cold and humidity in England are what made for the most uncomfortable Spring of my life. I think my bone marrow froze.
It is the combination of humidity and cooler temperatures that had Mark Twain complaining that the worst winter he experienced was summer in San Francisco.

Cold plus humid is horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think this is a characteristic of a lot of drivers all over the state..... I been to FL many times and I have often wondered if people who drive on I-95 think that's the speed limit and not the Interstate Highway Number. Of course we have our share of speed demons in Texas too but we do have speed limits on a few (toll) highways as high as 85mph. Which means many people drive ~90mph on those highways even when the cops :police: are in sight. (IMHO, that's far too fast for most people to drive safely)

Your humble opinion, maybe, but not necessarily fact. 80 and even 90 mph is no big deal, especially if, like on I-95 and such, when the highwy is straight, flat, and long. The only danger is falling asleep.

Just slow down a little for the exits. Actually, on I-95 the speed limit is only 70 mph max. I have no problem with that speed, or the 9 mph above that that the cops allow. IMO it's the people doing 45-55 there that are the dnger. If you don't want to drive with the traffic, take the regular highways. The interstates are people movers.

I've lived in Jacksonville since 1993. There are no scorpions here, but we do have ever single bug known to man!

Never been to Houston.

Mike

Your humble opinion, maybe, but not necessarily fact. 80 and even 90 mph is no big deal, especially if, like on I-95 and such, when the highwy is straight, flat, and long. The only danger is falling asleep.

Just slow down a little for the exits. Actually, on I-95 the speed limit is only 70 mph max. I have no problem with that speed, or the 9 mph above that that the cops allow. IMO it's the people doing 45-55 there that are the dnger. If you don't want to drive with the traffic, take the regular highways. The interstates are people movers.

This may be true of northern to central Florida, but southen Fl is a different story, and much more dangerous. From South Miami through Palm Beach county (around 80 miles) the area is entirely urban and there is no long and flat, the lanes are narrow, curvy, and with lots of entrance and exit ramps. Approaching Miami, the HOV lane was changed to an express toll, allowing drivers willing to pay between $0.25 - $10.50 to face less rush hour traffic, and that alone has caused hundreds of accidents - and there is no option. :(

I have lived in the greater Houston area for most of my adult life. No one comes here for anything other than money. No one is attracted to the beaches, the scenery or the winter sports. The size of the city has created a reasonable arts and theater scene if you are so inclined. It is hot and humid in the summer beyond anyone's reasonable endurance.

This is spot on. I too lived in Houston most of my adult life.

It's a young person's town. We like Idaho a LOT better.

We live in the Houston area (me, basically my whole life).... but DW wants to move to Europe when the kids get out of college... I say no... but will visit for longer times... another place she likes is Belize.... again, no....

So, she is thinking Florida... we have been to the state a few times and she like the weather and beaches more than in Texas...

The hill country in Texas gets hotter, but not as humid.... but 100+ degrees is hot even without humidity... it is also DRY... go out to west Texas and it is even drier.... also, not many cities out there if you are looking for what my DW calls culture... if you like the outdoors, it is great....

If you look into the Schengen Agreement, you'll find out that special visas are required for any American that stays in Western Europe for 90 days out of a 180 day period. Unless you're a college student, getting a visa is very difficult in most European countries. They're trying to protect their soverign jobs and make sure you don't take advantage of their government paid healthcare.

If you look into the Schengen Agreement, you'll find out that special visas are required for any American that stays in Western Europe for 90 days out of a 180 day period. Unless you're a college student, getting a visa is very difficult in most European countries. They're trying to protect their soverign jobs and make sure you don't take advantage of their government paid healthcare.

Thanks... I did not know that.... but can live there for that length if needed...

Who cares about the quality of the drivers. I'm more concerned with urban squalor and big city traffic. After moving from Atlanta, I don't like either.

Florida or Texas is the question. My answer is that there are many other states in the South with a high quality of life without the incredibly high property taxes and high homeowners' insurance rates of both TX and FL.

I'm living with a beautiful lake in my front yard with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on my street. Our property taxes are 1/4th that of TX or FL. We have no state income taxes on SS income or defined pensions. Housing prices are as low as there is in the country. (I bought my daughter 2800 sq. ft. nice house in a good neighborhood for $105K.) And we don't have to put up with all those "old" people in Florida and non-English speaking people (TX and FL.)

There are just so many great places to live with great shopping, churches and restaurants that even have great people--for much less money.

Thanks... I did not know that.... but can live there for that length if needed...

Having lived in Dallas & San Antonio in TX, and Lakeland FL, I'd take Texas hands down. It's a "dry heat" in Dallas & San Antonio, not so in Houston where humidity is markedly higher. Jacksonville and Houston would be a toss up weather wise to me, both are going to be really hot peak summer. Water may be an issue in TX, hurricanes in FL. Bugs in both, never bothered me FWIW, but some people are really thrown by bugs etc. Culturally TX was far, far better than FL too IMO (no, we didn't confine ourselves to Lakeland...) - but I'll get myself in trouble if I get too descriptive. Too many "blue hairs" in FL too...wait, I guess that's us :eek:

Last edited:
Who cares about the quality of the drivers. I'm more concerned with urban squalor and big city traffic. After moving from Atlanta, I don't like either.

Florida or Texas is the question. My answer is that there are many other states in the South with a high quality of life without the incredibly high property taxes and high homeowners' insurance rates of both TX and FL.

I'm living with a beautiful lake in my front yard with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on my street. Our property taxes are 1/4th that of TX or FL. We have no state income taxes on SS income or defined pensions. Housing prices are as low as there is in the country. (I bought my daughter 2800 sq. ft. nice house in a good neighborhood for $105K.) And we don't have to put up with all those "old" people in Florida and non-English speaking people (TX and FL.)

There are just so many great places to live with great shopping, churches and restaurants that even have great people--for much less money.

I'm sure you're right about the other states, and maybe I'll look into MS or AL when I can't take it down here any more. But between the two states they only have about a half inch (on the map) of Gulf Coast, they're up there where is freezes occasionally, and are just as likely to get hurricaned as we are in SW FL. But still, something to consider.

Edit: And as far as speaking English, I'm a VA boy, and I'm here to tell you it can be easier to understand broken Spanglish than some of the deep south back woods 'Murcan I've heard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom