Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Nowadays, one hopes, the old folks' huge vehicles have the rear-view camera option.
"What? The little TV? Never use it. Stupid thing doesn't get Wheel..."
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman

Nice article about Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
First time I went to FL, I was blown away by how fast , as in Crazy fast people drove on the main roads near Crystal Beach FL.

I get criticized when visiting old friends in Canada about my aggressive driving habits from the U.S. so its not like I'm doing a Sunday drive.

Some of those FL folks seem to be wanting to speed up their arrival in heaven by driving the way they do.
I think this is a characteristic of a lot of drivers all over the state..... I been to FL many times and I have often wondered if people who drive on I-95 think that's the speed limit and not the Interstate Highway Number. Of course we have our share of speed demons in Texas too but we do have speed limits on a few (toll) highways as high as 85mph. Which means many people drive ~90mph on those highways even when the cops are in sight. (IMHO, that's far too fast for most people to drive safely)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I think this is a characteristic of a lot of drivers all over the state..... I been to FL many times and I have often wondered if people who drive on I-95 think that's the speed limit and not the Interstate Highway Number. Of course we have our share of speed demons in Texas too but we have speed limits on a few highways as high as 85mph. Which means many people drive ~90mph on those highways even when the cops are in sight. (IMHO, that's far too fast for most people to drive safely)
It should be noted that outside of toll roads the 80 mph speed limit is in the middle of nowhere, for example From west of Kerrville to east of El Paso on I 10 and I 20 from Monahans to I 10. Most of Tx has a 75 mph limit outside of major metros on freeways.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
(Have you noticed nobody ever complains about the weather being 'cold and humid'?) It's in the summertime that we notice the humidity the most, when it's hot and muggy.
I beg to differ.
The cold and humidity in England are what made for the most uncomfortable Spring of my life. I think my bone marrow froze.
It is the combination of humidity and cooler temperatures that had Mark Twain complaining that the worst winter he experienced was summer in San Francisco.

Cold plus humid is horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I think this is a characteristic of a lot of drivers all over the state..... I been to FL many times and I have often wondered if people who drive on I-95 think that's the speed limit and not the Interstate Highway Number. Of course we have our share of speed demons in Texas too but we do have speed limits on a few (toll) highways as high as 85mph. Which means many people drive ~90mph on those highways even when the cops are in sight. (IMHO, that's far too fast for most people to drive safely)
Your humble opinion, maybe, but not necessarily fact. 80 and even 90 mph is no big deal, especially if, like on I-95 and such, when the highwy is straight, flat, and long. The only danger is falling asleep.

Just slow down a little for the exits. Actually, on I-95 the speed limit is only 70 mph max. I have no problem with that speed, or the 9 mph above that that the cops allow. IMO it's the people doing 45-55 there that are the dnger. If you don't want to drive with the traffic, take the regular highways. The interstates are people movers.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:43 AM   #67

I've lived in Jacksonville since 1993. There are no scorpions here, but we do have ever single bug known to man!

Never been to Houston.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Your humble opinion, maybe, but not necessarily fact. 80 and even 90 mph is no big deal, especially if, like on I-95 and such, when the highwy is straight, flat, and long. The only danger is falling asleep.

Just slow down a little for the exits. Actually, on I-95 the speed limit is only 70 mph max. I have no problem with that speed, or the 9 mph above that that the cops allow. IMO it's the people doing 45-55 there that are the dnger. If you don't want to drive with the traffic, take the regular highways. The interstates are people movers.
This may be true of northern to central Florida, but southen Fl is a different story, and much more dangerous. From South Miami through Palm Beach county (around 80 miles) the area is entirely urban and there is no long and flat, the lanes are narrow, curvy, and with lots of entrance and exit ramps. Approaching Miami, the HOV lane was changed to an express toll, allowing drivers willing to pay between $0.25 - $10.50 to face less rush hour traffic, and that alone has caused hundreds of accidents - and there is no option.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post

I have lived in the greater Houston area for most of my adult life. No one comes here for anything other than money. No one is attracted to the beaches, the scenery or the winter sports. The size of the city has created a reasonable arts and theater scene if you are so inclined. It is hot and humid in the summer beyond anyone's reasonable endurance.
This is spot on. I too lived in Houston most of my adult life.

It's a young person's town. We like Idaho a LOT better.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We live in the Houston area (me, basically my whole life).... but DW wants to move to Europe when the kids get out of college... I say no... but will visit for longer times... another place she likes is Belize.... again, no....

So, she is thinking Florida... we have been to the state a few times and she like the weather and beaches more than in Texas...

The hill country in Texas gets hotter, but not as humid.... but 100+ degrees is hot even without humidity... it is also DRY... go out to west Texas and it is even drier.... also, not many cities out there if you are looking for what my DW calls culture... if you like the outdoors, it is great....
If you look into the Schengen Agreement, you'll find out that special visas are required for any American that stays in Western Europe for 90 days out of a 180 day period. Unless you're a college student, getting a visa is very difficult in most European countries. They're trying to protect their soverign jobs and make sure you don't take advantage of their government paid healthcare.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
If you look into the Schengen Agreement, you'll find out that special visas are required for any American that stays in Western Europe for 90 days out of a 180 day period. Unless you're a college student, getting a visa is very difficult in most European countries. They're trying to protect their soverign jobs and make sure you don't take advantage of their government paid healthcare.

Thanks... I did not know that.... but can live there for that length if needed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Who cares about the quality of the drivers. I'm more concerned with urban squalor and big city traffic. After moving from Atlanta, I don't like either.

Florida or Texas is the question. My answer is that there are many other states in the South with a high quality of life without the incredibly high property taxes and high homeowners' insurance rates of both TX and FL.

I'm living with a beautiful lake in my front yard with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on my street. Our property taxes are 1/4th that of TX or FL. We have no state income taxes on SS income or defined pensions. Housing prices are as low as there is in the country. (I bought my daughter 2800 sq. ft. nice house in a good neighborhood for $105K.) And we don't have to put up with all those "old" people in Florida and non-English speaking people (TX and FL.)

There are just so many great places to live with great shopping, churches and restaurants that even have great people--for much less money.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks... I did not know that.... but can live there for that length if needed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Having lived in Dallas & San Antonio in TX, and Lakeland FL, I'd take Texas hands down. It's a "dry heat" in Dallas & San Antonio, not so in Houston where humidity is markedly higher. Jacksonville and Houston would be a toss up weather wise to me, both are going to be really hot peak summer. Water may be an issue in TX, hurricanes in FL. Bugs in both, never bothered me FWIW, but some people are really thrown by bugs etc. Culturally TX was far, far better than FL too IMO (no, we didn't confine ourselves to Lakeland...) - but I'll get myself in trouble if I get too descriptive. Too many "blue hairs" in FL too...wait, I guess that's us

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who cares about the quality of the drivers. I'm more concerned with urban squalor and big city traffic. After moving from Atlanta, I don't like either.

Florida or Texas is the question. My answer is that there are many other states in the South with a high quality of life without the incredibly high property taxes and high homeowners' insurance rates of both TX and FL.

I'm living with a beautiful lake in my front yard with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on my street. Our property taxes are 1/4th that of TX or FL. We have no state income taxes on SS income or defined pensions. Housing prices are as low as there is in the country. (I bought my daughter 2800 sq. ft. nice house in a good neighborhood for $105K.) And we don't have to put up with all those "old" people in Florida and non-English speaking people (TX and FL.)

There are just so many great places to live with great shopping, churches and restaurants that even have great people--for much less money.
I'm sure you're right about the other states, and maybe I'll look into MS or AL when I can't take it down here any more. But between the two states they only have about a half inch (on the map) of Gulf Coast, they're up there where is freezes occasionally, and are just as likely to get hurricaned as we are in SW FL. But still, something to consider.

Edit: And as far as speaking English, I'm a VA boy, and I'm here to tell you it can be easier to understand broken Spanglish than some of the deep south back woods 'Murcan I've heard.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In FL you get people from everywhere, including Canada. And they're all really old. As my friend says when we get stuck behind someone doing 20 mph below the speed limit in the left hand lane, "don't get mad. They're planning on turning somewhere in the next 10 miles or so".
And they have their signal on the whole time...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

In a word - Arkansas.

A good alternative to Texas and Florida.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess everyone is different, but I agree with the poster who said that the only way he would live in Houston is if he was incarcerated. We winter in Texas every year, but I would never consider Houston as a Texas destination. We go out of our way to drive AROUND Houston now, on our way to much smaller (and much prettier, more relaxing) towns along the Gulf Coast. There are many beautiful places in Texas........don't limit yourself to considering only Houston!
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #79

Quote:

Edit: And as far as speaking English, I'm a VA boy, and I'm here to tell you it can be easier to understand broken Spanglish than some of the deep south back woods 'Murcan I've heard.
The first time my 5 year old son heard me speaking with someone who had a southern accent, he sincerely asked me afterwards, ”Dad, what language were they speaking?"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

When I lived in (College Station) Texas, which is located between Houston and Austin, the property/school taxes were sky high but the homeowners' insurance was reasonable. Here in Louisiana, the property taxes are very low but the homeowners' insurance is sky high; the two added together aren't much different. I hear that the same is true in Florida. I'm tempted to think that you just can't win although I have read that Alabama does have a great tax situation.

Personally I liked living in Texas, except that the summertime heat was probably the worst I have ever endured. But then, AC takes care of that issue. I really liked the people and down to earth attitudes that I encountered in Texas. Who wouldn't like a whole town full of Aggies? At least, I did and other than the brutal summer heat I liked living in College Station. There wasn't any urban squalor or big city traffic there. Traffic in Houston was daunting (to me) even immediately after moving to that area from Southern California.

I wouldn't recommend New Orleans as a retirement location at all, because we have more urban squalor and crime than most people would care for. Other than that, and the occasional hurricane, I love living here so much.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote