Flying again after 24 years

Downtown,
What is your end goal? You will fly your butt off and your schedule will not be your own. I flew for the majors. I made a lot of money my final year and I was flying the 777. I retired (FIREd at 52) I got my life back: holidays, weekends and I could plan more than one month at a time. It was a great job flying sweet aircraft but it comes at a cost. It's all about seniority. It is a good time for the young pups when they reach our age they will probably have a great schedule and pay. I'm not trying to rain on your parade just another perspective.

Very good question and thanks for the wise counsel/reality check, WT. I will work for another 1-2 years in my current industry (enterprise software), but would like the option of flying multiengine equipment part-time afterwards when I'm in semi-retirement (for pay, even if not much). Working weekends sounds ok if I'm semi-retired. Realistically though, I don't think a regional or major airline job is in my future, given all the challenges with being on reserve, commuting to a different domicile/hub, little flexibility with my time, etc. As to a goal, flying 2-3 days per week in a King Air, or similar equipment, based out of San Diego (we're moving there in the coming months) sounds perfect to me! Of course, nirvana can be elusive and I'm okay if I get pulled into other hobbies/interests. I view semi-retirement as a time to explore, reinvent oneself, travel, take control again (it's my life!).

Congrats on your FIRE and successful aviation career!

, based out of San Diego (we're moving there in the coming months) sounds perfect to me!

My 4bd/2ba in Poway goes up for sale next month.

They hire civilians to fly the range support A/C for the various ranges in the SoCal area. Some King Air and Baron. Good luck.

Funny this came up again. I was getting the oil changed in my car and the dealership is right down the road from Dobbins ARB (and Lockheed) where my last flying gig was doing flight test on the C-5 Galaxy. As I pulled up to the service bay, a C-5 cruised overhead at about 1,000 feet (first one I have seen in about a year) and at first, it gave me goose bumps knowing I was doing *just that* a few years ago and how I missed it. But, then I remembered just HOW HARD it was to get the damn thing in the air and the hours-long gnashing of teeth when you got back arguing with Lockheed about how so many things didn't work on the plane and I then felt OK with my station in life. :D

Very good question and thanks for the wise counsel/reality check, WT. I will work for another 1-2 years in my current industry (enterprise software), but would like the option of flying multiengine equipment part-time afterwards when I'm in semi-retirement (for pay, even if not much). Working weekends sounds ok if I'm semi-retired. Realistically though, I don't think a regional or major airline job is in my future, given all the challenges with being on reserve, commuting to a different domicile/hub, little flexibility with my time, etc. As to a goal, flying 2-3 days per week in a King Air, or similar equipment, based out of San Diego (we're moving there in the coming months) sounds perfect to me! Of course, nirvana can be elusive and I'm okay if I get pulled into other hobbies/interests. I view semi-retirement as a time to explore, reinvent oneself, travel, take control again (it's my life!).

Congrats on your FIRE and successful aviation career!

Maybe a PT 91 gig might be up your alley. I know of a few folks that fly some sweet little jets that are owned by wealthy folks. I have a friend that lives in TX and gets to fly a Citation XLS a couple of times a week for a guy who owns some auto dealerships. I think that's a good compromise; with a true pt 135 outfit, you are liable to have a really, REALLY crappy schedule. With a pt 121, you may know your schedule but it could suck too. Pt 91 could be as close to the best PT flying gig out there.

Welcome to the forum and back to flying. There are quite a few pilots here. Once you start flying it never leaves your blood.

George Bush flew fighters for a couple of years then quit and I believe he never flew again. Never understood that.

That's actually not always the case.

My military experience revealed to me there were basically two types of pilots - those who ate, slept, and dreamed of flying and those who viewed it as simply an interesting job.

I was in the interesting job category and never flew again after leaving the Air Force.

I know more than a few AF dudes that stepped away from airplane flying for good. For many of them, it was a "job" and that's it. For some of them, the joy of flying was destroyed by the "queep" that has taken over the lives of most modern mil aviation folks. My Dad has a neighbor who has been flying for Delta (and before that NW) since 1988 and is still a first officer (by choice) and as you might guess, he gets the best trips and isn't on the road for more than about 10 days out of the month. Nonetheless, he hates the job and could care less about aviation. It's an odd thing!

For me, I loved (and still love) flying little planes. The freedom (from regulations) is great and one of the most peaceful things I can do in life. I have thought about doing the glider thing...and this has peaked my curiosity.

Speaking of flying, some of you may remember Shaun Lunt. If not he was a physician that spent quite a bit of time in Alaska doing bush flying with a Super Cub. Sadly, he was killed a few years ago when he "spun it in" looking at a whale carcass, but his blog lives on and he has some fantastic pictures on there. Bush flying and a sea rating are also on the bucket list...I guess I need to get busy! :)

Shaun Lunt Blog

Last edited:
I have thought about doing the glider thing...and this has peaked my curiosity.

Soaring Society of America shows a glider outfit in Monroe and another in Warm Springs. They don't send engraved invitations - you have to initiate things. ;) Worth the travel, IMHO.

Gliders are wonderful! If it ever stops raining here in Houston the season is about to start. Goal this year is to take my CFI-G practical and help spread the love. Maybe a trip to Minden and fly the wave for Gold Altitude.

Back
Top Bottom