Join Early Retirement Today

For Retired Folks: What Do You Dream About?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been seriously retired for about 5 years and would never seriously consider going back to work (unless it were in a low-stress job doing something I was really committed to).

I find that I occasionally dream about work-related things.
- Most of them put me back in the Navy (where spent 28 years). Either, I'm back on active duty before I retired or there is a chance to go back on active duty but I realize I'm much older and don't really want to do it.) Most of these dreams revolve around one particular duty station where I was the head guy.
- Fewer of them have me considering a return to a job in the private sector. These dreams are less appealing than the ones in which I think about being back in the Navy.

For the record, I don't want to go back to work, either in the Navy or in private industry. But I find these dreams curious.

Do any other retirees dream similarly?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat dreaming I'm back at work. Then I realize it's not real and go back to sleep and wake up when ever I want to.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My girl.

<--------------
Old 07-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat dreaming I'm back at work. Then I realize it's not real and go back to sleep and wake up when ever I want to.

I had those dreams; they tapered off after a while. On the rare occasion that I dream I am back at work, I realize I am dreaming and that I am retired; and in the dream I explain to everyone that I am retired and that this is only a bad dream.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I retired a year and a half ago. I just had a work dream this week where the senior lawyer that used to supervise me when I was an associate was calling my clients and telling them I had screwed up on their work. It was one of those dreams that feel very real and man was I relieved upon awaking.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Funny you mentioned this last night I had this dream ( I'm a retired RN mostly Operating Room ) that I was working on this really complicated brain surgery and I had tables of instruments in front of me and I was trying to remember when everything got used and all the little extras .
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #7

I'm not retired yet, so I only have nightmares about work, and dreams of FIRE!

R
Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had those dreams for quite a few years. They were always really complicated as to how I somehow got "trapped" back into working.

I think it's been over a year since the last one. They're pretty rare now.

Audrey
Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Funny you mentioned this last night I had this dream ( I'm a retired RN mostly Operating Room ) that I was working on this really complicated brain surgery and I had tables of instruments in front of me and I was trying to remember when everything got used and all the little extras .
This is an intersesting dream. Perhaps not all of us but many of us may mourn the inevitable passing of skills that were highly prized and very useful to us economically and personally, once we no longer use them regularly.

I don't miss the scheduling and pressure of workdays, but I do miss the feeling of being on top of my game and master of my own fate.

Ha
Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't miss the scheduling and pressure of workdays, but I do miss the feeling of being on top of my game and master of my own fate.

Ha
Uh.....wait!

Nothing has made me feel more master of my own fate than financial independence and not having to report to a boss!!

Audrey
Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha

That was another reason I retired . I saw too many people hang around until they were way off the top of their game and I just did not want that to be me .
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #12

I don't really have dreams very often that I remember.

But once in a while I'll have a moment during the day when I revert back to my working days. This morning I was fixing some toast and tea and I got to thinking, "you better get cracking, it's Saturday and Monday will be here before you know it".

That feeling only lasted for a few seconds and then it was gone.

Now I'm back screwing around on the computer and in a little while I'll mosey out to my shop and see if the paint is dry on my latest project.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Uh.....wait!

Nothing has made me feel more master of my own fate than financial independence and not having to report to a boss!!

Audrey
True that bosses are no fun, but I think it would hard to establish that a person with $2 million and current work skills and a job is not in a more secure and autonomous position than a person with $2 million and no job or current work skills.

But whatever works for you is fine by me.

Ha
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True that bosses are no fun, but I think it would hard to establish that a person with $2 million and current work skills and a job is not in a more secure and autonomous position than a person with $2 million and no job or current work skills.

But whatever works for you is fine by me.

Ha
Good, because I definitely don't see it that way.

In the first case, that person has serious obligations = not that autonomous.

I grant you that the first person has more financial security (at the moment - that job could disappear at any time) but that's exactly the tradeoff you make when you retire.

Audrey
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I find that I occasionally dream about work-related things.
- Most of them put me back in the Navy (where spent 28 years). Either, I'm back on active duty before I retired or there is a chance to go back on active duty but I realize I'm much older and don't really want to do it.) Most of these dreams revolve around one particular duty station where I was the head guy.
- Fewer of them have me considering a return to a job in the private sector. These dreams are less appealing than the ones in which I think about being back in the Navy.
Do any other retirees dream similarly?
The first few years of ER were mostly nightmares-- reactor scrams with screwups as the engineering officer of the watch, scrambling to get to periscope depth on station when not-so-good things were happening, inport duty officer while we were trapped at Subic Bay during a volcanic eruption, squabbling with the somewhat combative personalities I encountered. I'd usually wake up shouting orders to casualty procedures or running or blocking punches. Spouse says I used to grind my teeth a lot.

I'm sure that those events all contributed in their own little ways toward a desire to stop going to work.

The only nightmare I seem to have anymore is one where the sewage system backs up all over the house. That certainly relives several different work experiences (shore duty as well as sea duty) but it's not so traumatic. Otherwise it's mostly good dreams-- flying (surfing) or running or reliving the events of the day.

Haven't ground my teeth in a couple years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #16

I've been retired from teaching for 11 years and still dream of "Classes from Hell" and feeling helpless as admin lurks in the background.:confused:

The funny thing is, in reality, I never had any bad years and I always got along with my bosses.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've had a number of work related dreams. Most of them involve stressfull situations in the office. Glad they are only dreams!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Here's my last night's dream. I am being prepped for some kind of fat removal surgery. (I'm not exactly fat, but that doesn't seem to matter to these Docs.) I think, damn, maybe I could die from the anesthetic (Some recent deaths from dental anesthesia have popped up in the local papers).

I woke up, happy to not be having surgery. I wonder if maybe this takes off from Moe's dream about the surgical tools?

Ha
Old 07-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #19

I used to have nightmares about going bald.

I still have a full head of hair.

Unfortunately @ 65 it's amost all white.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
I used to have nightmares about going bald.

I still have a full head of hair.

Unfortunately @ 65 it's amost all white.
I used to have nightmares/dreams about going bald, when I was a teenager...unfortunately the dream came true...heh heh heh

R