Join Early Retirement Today

The marauder returns
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

The marauder returns

This guy doesn't stay in one place for very long. So, through blinds, two panes of glass, and with a pocket camera, this is the best I could get.

Sharp Shinned Brdofpray? Rounded tail feathers, no notch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000005.JPG (182.2 KB, 16 views)

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Wish there was something to be able to judge the size. But I would concur with your identification. Feeding on small birds from your feeder?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Wish there was something to be able to judge the size. But I would concur with your identification. Feeding on small birds from your feeder?
I cant catch him with something good to compare for size. Smaller than a crow I'd say. From my research, smaller than a Coopers. He usually swings through once a week and has a sparrow or two, but have seen this same type of hawk take down a large Eurasian dove in the yard last winter.

Edit to Add that he's about 8 feet from the window in this pic.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

no birds...just 16" of snow.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sharpies are pretty cool. For a little guy, I've seen one hold its own while being mobbed by crows. Not many hawks can put up with that,
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always heard that the sharpies, the coopers, and the goshawks (accipiters) are the "Top Guns" in the bird world. Short wings, long tail for high speed, maneuverability through the woodlands. Little birds, and big beware.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I cant catch him with something good to compare for size. Smaller than a crow I'd say. From my research, smaller than a Coopers. He usually swings through once a week and has a sparrow or two, but have seen this same type of hawk take down a large Eurasian dove in the yard last winter.

Edit to Add that he's about 8 feet from the window in this pic.
Smaller than a crow? Definitely a sharpie. Full adult too - red breast, red eyes.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought this might fit here.

An Eagle Owl landing filmed at 1000 frames per second.

Amazing nature - The Eagle Owl

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bluebirds starting to scope out the houses. We fledged 13 last year with two houses. A third house installed in the fall. Should be more this year.

Went down to our local National Wildlife Area last week. Red-shouldered hawk and many kestrels. About 15 eagles. 30,000 snow geese.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I thought this might fit here.

An Eagle Owl landing filmed at 1000 frames per second.

Amazing nature - The Eagle Owl
Thanks for the link. That was SPECTACULAR!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #71

Wow - what a great thread. This is exactly how I see myself in retirement. Going to parks, watching birds do what they do ... not just spotting them, but actually WATCHING them.

Amazingly I see LESS species here in Florida (tampa bay area) then I do when I lived in lower NY state. I miss the Chickadees for sure.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #72

We had a rare (for the east) Virginia's warbler at the local Audubon refuge this week. Multiple sightings on a nice warm day. Bonus - two golden eagles perched high in the oaks at the edge of the fields. Baldies are everywhere around here but the golden eagles are not as easy to spot.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday I was sitting on my back porch. I heard a bird that I thought I should know. Frustrated, I grabbed my Iphone and camera and walked into the woods. I opened my bird App on my phone, and began playing songs from likely suspects. When I played the pine warbler's song, this little guy showed up. He was looking for the bird in my phone. I quickly began to snap some shots. (one note: If you do this, stop playing the song after the bird arrives. Too much repetition may drive your bird from the territory, when they can't find the competing bird they had just heard. And yes, they are called birdbrains for a reason!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0265.jpg (349.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0282.jpg (321.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #74

Within the past week hummingbirds have arrived back in the eastern US along the Gulf Coast per maps at http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Within the past week hummingbirds have arrived back in the eastern US along the Gulf Coast per maps at Hummingbird Migration Maps
This past weekend, I received a reliable report they were in the Upstate of South Carolina.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday I was sitting on my back porch. I heard a bird that I thought I should know. Frustrated, I grabbed my Iphone and camera and walked into the woods. I opened my bird App on my phone, and began playing songs from likely suspects. When I played the pine warbler's song, this little guy showed up. He was looking for the bird in my phone. I quickly began to snap some shots. (one note: If you do this, stop playing the song after the bird arrives. Too much repetition may drive your bird from the territory, when they can't find the competing bird they had just heard. And yes, they are called birdbrains for a reason!)
Yeah, it's pretty amazing how responsive some of these little guys can be to their song! Nice photos! But you're right, you don't want to play recorded bird songs much, particularly when they are establishing territory and raising young as it can interfere. A little bit, however, is just like a rival passing through.

Audrey
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #77

Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Great pictures!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #79

Today I had a FOS (1st of season) Black-chinned hummingbird. This is the most common breeder where I live, and is about 2 weeks earlier than normal.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Great thread. Good idea the bird app. DW and I love birding. The only exciting thing recently is that I heard a Grouse "thumping" in the distance. I sure sign that spring is near up here in PA.