Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone know what this is?

YellowBird.jpg

There were about five of them, chickadee sized. Far northern California near the coast.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like a Townsend's Warbler. (in this shot, he is looking right at the camera, right?)

Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Yes, from head on. Yes, I'm sure that's it, thanks. Here's from the web:

Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

They certainly are a striking bird. Very tough to get a good shot that has the needed field marks for ID. Good job!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Yep, love those Townsend's Warblers. But you have to go west to see them.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, from head on. Yes, I'm sure that's it, thanks. Here's from the web:

Is it just me just imagining this or is that bird looking rather smug? He must have decided on his SS strategy!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

He looks smug because he is male, on breeding territory (he had to fly north to get there), and in full breeding plumage! He's probably singing about it too!

Whatever, he's gotta look good for the ladies to pay attention!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Had that pic been taken in the east, I might have guessed Blackburnian Warbler.

He's a handsome fellow! Hopefully DW and I can add the Townsend's to our life list in ER!

(Let me join in with the many others in saying:"Great thread!")
Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love birds and have read every one of the posts; however, I have one question for which I have not been able to find an answer. I have always loved wrens. I believer they are officially called Carolina Wrens. I thought I saw some in my back yard so I decided to get some nest boxes. Bought them on line as certified to specs for wrens. I hung one up in my oak tree but have not had any hits on that box. It swings when the wind blows and wonder if that is a problem. Any answers out there?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on your location (Florida), the carolina wren is the wren of choice. The other three commonly seen in winter, sedge wren, winter wren, and marsh wren most likely would be more difficult to see due to their very shy nature.

How high is the bird house off the ground? Moving in the wind is not a good idea. Is there cover close by (bushes, shrubs, small trees)? All will help make the box a home for the carolina wren.

(side note, my parents lived 15 years in Sun City Center, before they reverse migrated to New Jersey. Don't ask me why, we all are trying to figure that out.)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #91

Here is my Cactus Wren , Curve-billed Thrasher, and Pyrrhuloxia (Mexican Cardinal) house.
These are almost life size Mariachi players, made from 55 gallon drums. The frame work is hollow on the inside. So all my covered nest builders love them. I have a Bluebird box, that is used by the Ash-throated Flycatcher.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #92

March 8 FOS Rufous Hummingbird, bright male 10 March 9 AM 32 degrees 1.5 inch of snow, had both male and female Rufous, and FOS Broad-tailed female.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #93

Not a birrd watcher, nor very knowledgable about birds, but we get robins, blackbirds, sparrows, finches, and occasionally some type of hawk that rests on our fence post. And cardinals.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday an Oak Titmouse visited a birdhouse we have up. He went in and checked it out. Very cute. Maybe he will rent it?

Can hear the little guys singing all around today "thweet, thweet, thweet". Most popular is 3 thweets but have heard 2's and 4's too. I seem to recall from last year this particular very distinct Oak Titmouse call, I only heard in the Spring. They seem to have several variations of calls.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Based on your location (Florida), the carolina wren is the wren of choice. The other three commonly seen in winter, sedge wren, winter wren, and marsh wren most likely would be more difficult to see due to their very shy nature.

How high is the bird house off the ground? Moving in the wind is not a good idea. Is there cover close by (bushes, shrubs, small trees)? All will help make the box a home for the carolina wren.

(side note, my parents lived 15 years in Sun City Center, before they reverse migrated to New Jersey. Don't ask me why, we all are trying to figure that out.)
The one wren house I have now is about 12 ft off the ground and mounted on a large limb in an oak tree. I'm thinking of mounting another one directly on the side of a palm tree. When I was a little boy, my dad made wren houses and mounted on top of the clothline posts and we always had birds.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Just make sure there is a bunch of brushy cover nearby. Carolina wrens, love having this protection around their nests. Good luck, let us know when you get visitors.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #97
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just some Magpies, Blue jays and Chikadees around here in Edmonton Alberta. A Northern Flicker landed on the fence the other day. Just started getting back into birds as my life became less stressful, anyway, had my most amazing birdwatching hike ever in Costa Rica last year. Went for a walk up from our cabin and saw 2 Fiery Billed Aracari's, a bunch of Cherrie's Tanagers, a Golden Hooded Tanager, a Blue Crowned Motmot (one of my favorites) Flycatcher's and many small birds I couldn't identify and all the while Toucans calling in the back ground (Keel Billed I believe). Can't wait to go back!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone have birds that regularly sit on the birdbath with their tails well submerged in the water? Almost looks like they're drinking water through their tails.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #99

Yikes, 20 degrees this morning. I took the hummer feeders in last night, brought them back out at 5:30 am. Had 2 male Broad-billed hummers at the same feeder at 6:15. One B-B female is still perched in an Autumn sage next to the house where it is warmer. Another female is trying to get to the snow covered flowers. Looks like they all made it through the night OK.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Anyone have birds that regularly sit on the birdbath with their tails well submerged in the water? Almost looks like they're drinking water through their tails.
I don't think I've seen that. Some do sit in the water for a while before or after taking a splash bath.

Here's our birdbath with a bluebird in it. Note the rocks that keep the bath on it's perch plus the little birds like to stand on them.