Some Flying Lessons but no License 9 10.98%
Private Pilot License (inactive) 24 29.27%
Private Pilot License (active) 9 10.98%
Professional Pilot 17 20.73%
Pilot of other Aircraft (Sailplane, Ultralight, Hang/Para Glider, etc.) 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Stinson was what got me flying. I was doing all the electrical and radio work on the plane, and figured I should get my license so I could fly it. That was 1972, and I was flying it until he sold it. I went dormant for a number of years due to other obligations, then started again when I moved a half mile from a small airport when I retired.

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
then started again when I moved a half mile from a small airport when I retired.

Just to connect with your story, I've flown out of that particular small airport in Santa Paula a couple of times (and landed gliders in the adjacent river bed a few more). My most vivid memory though, was as a passenger in a friend's C152. He had just gotten his license, was into any way to get hours he could, and so was willing to take me on a tour of the Ojai backcountry. Though I'd trained in similar aircraft, what I realized that warm summer day was how pitifully underpowered the 152 is. On a 90 degree day with 350 lb of human aboard we were lucky to climb at 150-200 fpm. So it took a LOOONG time to get up to the 6-7000 MSL necessary to safely explore the Topa Topa mountains.

stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #43

Private pilot, instrument rated - am pursuing commercial rating and have recently started flying (a lot!) in the last few months...my last night cross country was from KTUS-KDVR and back I was thinking about whether I really want this or not...as a previous poster said, you really need to fly consistently to stay proficient and it takes $$$ to do that. I have been flying an Arrow lately and it is a bit more to manage than a 172-152....it is also faster and gets you where you want to go more quickly.

I decided that *if* I wish to pursue this, purchasing a used plane is the best plan...so, I will need to think some more. I have several female friends who own planes and that motivates them to fly more....

I do have one bucket goal and that is to fly in the Air Race Classic (used to be the Powder Puff Derby) before I die...I have a friend who is a retired C-130 pilot and we have two agreements: we will fly the Air Race Classic together (her pilot, me nav-co-pilot, and a do week long hike in Patagonia (not necessarily at the same time/year)- we are waiting for her son to graduate from high school in 4 years or so...

Flying can be fun, boring and terrifying. It is a skill that needs to be maintained like any other one and that mean consistent practice.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I decided that *if* I wish to pursue this, purchasing a used plane is the best plan...so, I will need to think some more. I have several female friends who own planes and that motivates them to fly more....
There is a lot of information out there (obviously) and I am probably stating the obvious, but perhaps consider a partnership or flying club. Plane ownership is pretty fantastic, but with the right mix of people then saving a substantial amount of money to boot is even better! I would have done that in lieu of sole ownership, but being in the Air Force (and subject to reassignment at any time) that just wasn't feasible. If I were to catch the flying bug again, I would most certainly look into some sort of joint deal.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
One close friend was the SR71 pilot that set the coast/coast record on the last SR71 flight.
That would be Ed Yielding, an acquaintance.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #46

Started flying a Cub at age 16 and mandatory retirement from United at 60. Best job and best life I could imagine.

But with the reduced retirement income and inevitable slowing of reflexes in the future, I quit airplanes at retirement and took up a safer and less expensive (??) hobby- Corvettes. Road trips all over the US and some racing. 14 years of that and still having fun.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Flying was a lifelong dream and I owned a Cessna 172 for several years. I loved it and still miss it. Economics was the reason for giving it up. Not a LBYM activity.
CalTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
There is a lot of information out there (obviously) and I am probably stating the obvious, but perhaps consider a partnership or flying club. Plane ownership is pretty fantastic, but with the right mix of people then saving a substantial amount of money to boot is even better! I would have done that in lieu of sole ownership, but being in the Air Force (and subject to reassignment at any time) that just wasn't feasible. If I were to catch the flying bug again, I would most certainly look into some sort of joint deal.
This is what my kid will do this fall after they finish their pilot's license this summer (passed the written, just oral & check-ride left)

The club at their school rents for ~$60/hour.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Soloed on Hawaii's Ford Island prior to military and airline flying. Currently flying the experimental plane in my avatar. Everyone likes photos:

One of my last flights in #381. Seven years later it was accidentally shot down by a Navy F-14 in the Med. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/friendl...ral-promotion/

Here is one we gave to the Honduran AF replacing their old and outdated F-86's by an old and outdated A-37:

Here is one I built 30 yrs ago that is collecting dust in someone's hangar:

Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Started flying a Cub at age 16 and mandatory retirement from United at 60.
UAL was my first choice but hired as a "570," I had to go elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

570??
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Had my private license on my 16th birthday, flew Phantoms in Vietnam for 5 years, & still anything that comes my way.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBirdly View Post
First airplane ride was in 1963 at age 5 in a Stearman biplane. That sealed the deal and ALL I ever talked about was being a pilot. Unlike most 5 -10 year old boys who change their mind almost daily and vacillate between Fireman, Policeman, Army Man, etc. I never shut up about it and even though, I am color blind, I hated math and science classes, was an extremely poor student, and almost flunked out of H.S. - I became a Private Pilot at 19, graduated with an Aeronautics degree at the age of 22 and then picked up all my ratings and licenses and became an Instructor for a few years before I commenced upon a 30 year career as an Airline Pilot.

Qualified as Captain on the Citation Jet, B-727, B-737, B-747-200, B-747-400 .

Wouldn't change a thing and Life has been one Helluva' ride. It feels as though I have never really worked for a living....Which was exactly my "Evil Plan".

Taking some time off for the last 3 years - although I flew a corporate turbo-prop in February and will be traveling soon and re-exploring flying sailplanes again. Nice and quiet, just me and the Birds.

Birdman

P.S. - And "Yes", to the poster questioning if the sound of a 727 powering up was "music". To me it was, and I referred to it as "Rolling Thunder". My 4 year old Son however, would cry and ask " Da-Da!! WHAT is that horrible noise!". All a matter of perspective I guess.
Can I ask how many hours you have? Our son has 750. He is a first officer flying Learjets out of Memphis for a charter company. He loves to meet people like you.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
UAL was my first choice but hired as a "570," I had to go elsewhere.
Thanks for your loyalty. I hope the alternative worked well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
570??
A group of 570 pilots "hired" by United just before a pilot strike in the 80's but then told they had to work as strikebreakers or be "unhired". To their credit, very few of them worked. Eventually, United's action was found to be illegal but many of the 570 had found other more friendly airlines by then.

After they eventually got hired/rehired by United, I found them to be a great group of people both personally and professionally. For the rest of my career, no 570 was allowed to pay for his/her own meals when we were on layovers.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Thanks for your loyalty. I hope the alternative worked well for you.
Thanks Jim, it all worked for the better in the end. You know what they say, until you retire you never know if you made the right choice. Through various mergers I ended up becoming a "SouthernJets Professional." (inside joke folks)
Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Private license obtained in the 70’s when I was 25 and had a great time for quite a few years. Went on to get a sailplane rating too and that was even more fun. I think being a private pilot is what got me my beautiful wife 36 years ago. It was way better to pull up in an airplane than a nice car. Her dad was an Army Air Corp ferry pilot in WWII and flew everything. THat gave me the edge I needed. So it was money well spent.

But in a cruel trick of nature, I find that now that I can afford a plane of my own, and a great fiberglass ladder, I’m afraid to get very high on either of them. In my 20’s my retirement plan was to die by 30, so I didn’t worry about it. In my 30’s I didn’t worry about it either. But now that I have a few dollars, good sense, and a lifetime of close calls...I’m finding I want to live a lot longer. And flying is pretty unforgiving of the little mental lapses I find increasingly common.

But if the TSA keeps ticking me off I just might change my mind. They are becoming more of a threat that small airplanes are.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a commercial/instrument with 2,500+ hours but haven't flown since 1989. I was a rotary aviator in the Army for a few years before I was forced to switch to Microbiologist (what my Master's degree was in) due to the needs of the Army. I kept flying a bit mostly shuttling my own personnel for regional hospital inspections but stopped that in 1989. My last personal and professional flight was in 1989. Because I then lived in the DC area for the last 15 years of my career where private flying is extraordinarily difficult (and much worse since 9/11) and also due to the expense I stopped completely.

However, one aspect of flying was not mentioned which is flying drones. I have been flying drones since 2009 and have a commercial UAS pilot's license under Part 107 (which gets me reciprocity here in Europe). The $150 FAA test is a lot less expensive than the $1,500 EU test. So, in a sense I am still flying. I couldn't pass the Class II medical now to keep my C/I or even the Class III for my Private due to vision problems from several episodes of detached retinas caused by a massive shrinkage of vitreous humor and/or parachute jumping and also because I had both severe cataracts replaced. The latter caused by taking statins which is a known side effect. I get my joy from sailing now and have my ICC and sail every day I can.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
For the pilots
Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

For the pilots

I was one of the “High School To Flight School” generation recruited by the Army in the 1980s to cover military pilot shortfalls. Hundreds of us were brought in but quite a few washed out of the program.

I was an Army Aviator and then crossed over to the USAF as a pilot for career total of 26+ years. I loved flying, even the combat time. However towards the end my copilots kept getting younger, the systems more complicated, and the hours longer. The administrative paperwork involved in every pre and post flight really became an unpleasant burden in the end. Gone are the days when we zipper-suited sun gods would just, “kick the tires and light the fires”!

At some point it just stopped being fun anymore so I dropped my retirement papers and hung up my flight suit. It was a bittersweet moment when I had my “fini-flight” but it was time to move on and FIRE was calling my name.

I was recently called back to active duty and surprisingly passed the flight physical. Luckily they didn’t need me in the end and I didn’t have to strap on another aircraft!

I have no intention of piloting an aircraft again. Instead I get my thrills on a motorcycle and that is more than enough to keep me happy (and a lot less expensive!)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a Private Pilot license but haven't flown in 5 years and am not current.

I love to fly, but it scares the holy S#$T out of my DW.

So.....I don't fly. Do I miss it? A little. But I love my wife a helluva a lot more!

Live is good. Very good.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #60
Confused about dryer sheets

Flying 150-175 hours a year and still saving for ER. Good fun!

zfire is offline   Reply With Quote