• Some Flying Lessons but no License

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Private Pilot License (inactive)

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Private Pilot License (active)

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Professional Pilot

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Pilot of other Aircraft (Sailplane, Ultralight, Hang/Para Glider, etc.)

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The recent post in this thread about finishing up one's pilot's license made me wonder how many on this forum are pilots, once were or plan to be. I know when I worked many coworkers thought learning to fly as a retirement goal so perhaps there are a whole bunch of us.

Put me in the "once was" pilot category. I flew for 8+ years in the military but never did any flying once I left. I did get a private license at the time but never used it.

Last edited:
I have a commercial rating, so I clicked "professional" even though I've never used it to make a dime. Of the choices, it seemed to fit best.

I also have enough glider time to take the commercial checkride but never got around to it.

I have a commercial rating, so I clicked "professional" even though I've never used it to make a dime. Of the choices, it seemed to fit best.

I also have enough glider time to take the commercial checkride but never got around to it.
Same here.Used to have an Instructors rating, but never really used it. The insurance was the reason.
As mentioned on some other posts, I flew for Civil Air Patrol and Angel Flight. As a lark, I also flew a MiG-15, and a B-25. I flew a P-51 to celebrate my 80th birthday

Private only, got the license in 1975. I had started taking lessons in 1964 with lawn-mowing money but that was on an intermittent basis because my income was too. Flight training was interrupted for about a decade when I discovered cars and girls. I even owned an airplane for a couple of years, a 1956 Piper Tri-Pacer, and made the pilgrimage to Oshkosh in 1976 with it. Pitched a tent under the wing and woke every morning at ~6:00 AM to the music(?) of a 727 at takeoff thrust about 50 yards away.

That one was one of my best vacations ever.

Alas, I could afford a house OR an airplane. But not both.

Thank you for including the option, "Not interested in being a pilot". I checked that one.

When I was in my teens and twenties, I wanted to take flying lessons. At that time I could not afford to do that, and now that I am older I don't want to become a pilot any more for some reason. Lack of adventuresome energy due to age, I suppose.

Back in the 1970's and and 1980's, when I was married, my late ex took a lot of flying lessons. He solo'd once when we lived in Virginia, and once again when we lived in San Diego, and took more lessons in Texas once we moved there. He never got his license and seemed to prefer having an instructor in the plane with him. Despite that, he wanted to fly so much, probably more than anybody who has ever lived; it was amazing how much it meant to him. For him it was more of a need of some kind, than a want. So I didn't mind the cost in his case and it was worth every cent. There was no way we could afford for both of us to take flying lessons though.

I took some lessons in my late 50s because I wanted the experience but never pursued a license. I might have done more if the economics of piloting my own plane had made any sense to me. I also found it annoying when I had to fly toward the evening sun.

commercial pilot license, multi-engine non center line thrust, Never used it. Like Rewahoo, 99% military, never flew after my 20 years. I have answered the why not the following:

Ever rent a car? Took real good care of it, bent an axle and told Avis so they could charge me. RIGHT, well people treat a rented AC the same.

I became convinced in the AF that you need to fly at least twice a week to become proficient and stay that way. That is at least 8 hours a month, or 96 hours a year at $100 an hour or more! As I really have no place I want to go, and in most cases DW and I can go commercial cheaper, owning an AC and maintaining currency just didn't make since. If I had never done it, I might be willing to make the investment, but an AC is like a boat, it is a hole on the ramp you dump money into.

I used to fly for a living, hence my username. I haven't flown in about 10 years, but I have a basket-case 1947 Stinson 108-3 sitting in my garage, waiting to be rebuilt. I am single and multi rated commercial, and CFII. I keep the Instructor certificate current just because I don't want to let it lapse, but I would not hire me as an instructor.

As I really have no place I want to go, and in most cases DW and I can go commercial cheaper, owning an AC and maintaining currency just didn't make since. If I had never done it, I might be willing to make the investment, but an AC is like a boat, it is a hole on the ramp you dump money into.
That was why I decided to fly for Angel Flight, to have a purpose instead of just boring holes in the sky.

If you are flying a complex twin, I can see the need for maintaining proficiency by flying that often. For that reason, I was flying Cessna 172's, a very simple and forgiving airplane.

Had my check ride on my 17th birthday which at the time was the first date that I could get my learners permit for a drivers license. So had my pilot's license before my drivers license. Flew many times from NJ to Florida and the Bahamas in a Piper Warrior or Arrow. Occasionally a Cessna 182. After I opened my business time became limited (kids etc...) and well you know how that goes. Have not been active for about 20 years but still keep the license in my wallet for some reason. It never expires.

I had some stick time in a UH-60 simulator. Did three years as a UH-60 crew member in a special mission unit. Went in enthusiastic; came out glad to be alive.

One crash in our AO (of many) was a Marine CH-43. IIRC, 19 died in that one. My first time having to smell burnt human bodies. Not the last.

I still fly regularly (commercial, sightseeing, etc), but my early desire to become a pilot was snuffed out promptly.

But, that's just me.

There is a problem with the options...

I put want to learn but no lessons... but I will never have a lesson as the cost is too high for me...

BUT, if I could learn for free I would be doing it right now (well, not this second but you know)....

I was only active for a couple of years with maybe 125 hours total. Flying was impractical with the equipment I had. Still, it was a great challenge and lots of fun while it lasted. As someone suggested, I could own a (real) plane or I could (fill in the blank - be married, have a house, have a decent car, etc.) Several years back and after 35 years away from it, a local flight school offered a free lesson. I shared with them that I actually had a PP ticket. They still gave me the lesson and I could still fly. It was cool. I'd like to try it again though I'd never pass the 3rd class medical at my age and health.

I had a nomination to go to the Air Force Academy but never got the appointment. I was wanting badly to fly, but realized late of the height restrictions, I was 6'5". I still wanted to fly, and skydive, but realized at 21, that I had developed intense motion sickness. My flying is strictly limited to the passenger section of aircraft.

I was always interested and shortly after retiring I took an introductory flight at the Fort Meade Flying Activity. But it was clear that in the DC metro area the flight restrictions are so tight that pursuing flight training would be more pain than gain. A friend I worked with flew private planes for many years and even flew at work briefly in the 70s. He never goes up anymore but thoroughly enjoys flying with a group of friends in cyber space using MS Flight Simulator multiplayer. If you want to see a funny introduction to what that is like check this out.

Last edited:
First airplane ride was in 1963 at age 5 in a Stearman biplane. That sealed the deal and ALL I ever talked about was being a pilot. Unlike most 5 -10 year old boys who change their mind almost daily and vacillate between Fireman, Policeman, Army Man, etc. I never shut up about it and even though, I am color blind, I hated math and science classes, was an extremely poor student, and almost flunked out of H.S. - I became a Private Pilot at 19, graduated with an Aeronautics degree at the age of 22 and then picked up all my ratings and licenses and became an Instructor for a few years before I commenced upon a 30 year career as an Airline Pilot.

Qualified as Captain on the Citation Jet, B-727, B-737, B-747-200, B-747-400 .

Wouldn't change a thing and Life has been one Helluva' ride. It feels as though I have never really worked for a living....Which was exactly my "Evil Plan".

:)

Taking some time off for the last 3 years - although I flew a corporate turbo-prop in February and will be traveling soon and re-exploring flying sailplanes again. Nice and quiet, just me and the Birds.

Birdman

P.S. - And "Yes", to the poster questioning if the sound of a 727 powering up was "music". To me it was, and I referred to it as "Rolling Thunder". My 4 year old Son however, would cry and ask " Da-Da!! WHAT is that horrible noise!". All a matter of perspective I guess. :)

Last edited:
I was always interested and shortly after retiring I took an introductory flight at the Fort Meade Flying Activity. But it was clear that in the DC metro area the flight restrictions are so tight that pursuing flight training would be more pain than gain. A friend I worked with flew private planes for many years and even flew at work briefly in the 70s. He never goes up anymore but thoroughly enjoys flying with a group of friends in cyber space using MS Flight Simulator multiplayer. If you want to see a funny introduction to what that is like check this out.

:2funny::2funny::2funny:

Started flying in 1988. Job had us relocating all over the US, so we used the plane to stay connected to family and friends and for vacation adventures. Later it was a great way to visit kids in college and now to see grandkids. We bought our current plane in 1992 (!) and keep investing in it to keep it safe and modern. Will probably keep flying until I hit 70 or I can't pull it on the tow bar to hanger it.

I took the wife to the local airport as they were having a car show there. I mentioned that I had always wanted to learn to fly. She asked why hadn’t I done it. I said we either didn’t have the money, or time. She asked what was stopping me now? I was ER after all.

I started taking lessons that Monday, 40 hrs of lessons and 5 months later I bought a plane, then took my check ride. That was in 2012. I fly between 75-100 hrs a year.

Attachments

• DDAD1E2B-D81A-4F66-BFD0-F8D87ED3F244.jpg
    DDAD1E2B-D81A-4F66-BFD0-F8D87ED3F244.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 32
I learned to fly in college for fun (up to a 172, VFR), and got my PP license. But, I was not able to keep it up afterward. I did take an acrobatic glider lesson in Hawaii a few years ago, and that was really fun.

Now, 40+ years on, for the first time, I am going to Oshkosh EAA this July to see if the desire is still there. We'll see--but I suspect just smelling the Avgas will be enough for me as I'm too sensible to justify the expense of private flying (but it's good to have friends that are not as sensible as I am!).

I'm another one here who has always wanted to learn. In college a friend and I had plans to get our license, buy a Cessna 152, then spend a year or 2 flying around the country. But a serious girlfriend (who later dumped me 2 weeks before the wedding) got in the way. A few years later joined the CAP and went through half of ground school then dropped out because of work. Later when I retired I was going to fulfill my dream but had several bouts of severe vertigo. So have never fulfilled that dream unfortunately. Some day?

Got my PP license while in grad school in Arizona. Actually had my flight test in the morning, and went to graduation that afternoon. Only flew once after, then life interfered (career, mortgage, kids, etc.). Thinking wistfully about restarting in some way now, 40 years later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom