Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2014, 12:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
I've only been RE'd now for four and a half months, and while I still wonder about it, I don't worry about it.

In fact, I'm kind of amazed at how little I've found myself spending while still having a great time - I budgeted for almost three times what I'm currently spending and now I'm wondering what the heck I thought I was going to spend all that money on.
We didn't budget three times what we're spending, but we still have been pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper it has been to live with more free time to price shop, do more of our own chores, cook more from scratch, renegotiate the cable bill, do our own taxes, research financial aid for the kids, energy audit the house, etc. Our local public library has free music and video downloads and here all these year I was spending money on iTunes. The same with free play and museum passes. We've been finding all sort of things like that, plus have had time to learn a bit of the frequent flyer rewards game.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Oh... and BTW... RE: Alzheimers... we're in the same boat, but figure that if it happens, we won't care anyway.
I always worry I will get Alzheimer's, and no one will even notice...

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #23

I retired last May, 3 years early, when the BS got too thick. So, it's been more of a shock because it was sudden . As others have mentioned, part of it is just the shock of going from saving to spending . That would happen anytime. This is also a period of high cash flow. I'm 3 years away from Medicare, 4 years from SS FRA (will file for Spousal and defer mine to age 70), 3 years from a $12k per year private pension . DH and I plan to downsize next spring but in the meantime we've got a large laundry list of fixes to get the house move -in ready. So, I 'me still in the worrying phase- but not enough to want to look for a job!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We didn't budget three times what we're spending, but we still have been pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper it has been to live with more free time to price shop, do more of our own chores, cook more from scratch, renegotiate the cable bill, do our own taxes, research financial aid for the kids, energy audit the house, etc. Our local public library has free music and video downloads and here all these year I was spending money on iTunes. The same with free play and museum passes. We've been finding all sort of things like that, plus have had time to learn a bit of the frequent flyer rewards game.
I suppose I should have worded that differently - turns out I'm only spending about a third of what I budgeted; not that I budgeted three times more than I spend.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suppose I should have worded that differently - turns out I'm only spending about a third of what I budgeted; not that I budgeted three times more than I spend.
I got that from your post. Sorry if I did not parphrase it correctly. In my post I just meant we didn't have as much padding in our semi-ER budget.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

my worry over financial matters has not decreased but it's my own fault - two big areas ended up being issues for us and were not things I had accounted for in the financial plan. First, I spend WAY too much on my hobbies, I have all the time in the world now and really like my hobbies but I am causing financial stress by not going with the spending plan (in hindsight I should have seen this coming) and second our planned "down-sizing" has really stalled out. Part of the plan was to dump the expensive/hard to keep up horse property and go with an affordable 55+ but two years in we are still stuck - this of course adds to the financial angst.

Hopefully your stress will decrease as your plan flows as expected. GL!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing I've found myself doing that I hadn't anticipated is being anxious over the potential increases of my investments.

In other words, now that I'm spending less than I thought I would and have grown comfortable that my portfolio was more than sufficient in size, I'm looking forward to it growing even more!

Very similar to the feeling when one is savings and watching (hoping) their investments grow - except now I'm no longer contributing, am pulling money out, and it still has the potential to get bigger.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I'm no longer contributing, am pulling money out, and it still has the potential to get bigger.
Emphasis on "potential". My stash did not live up to its potential recently.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Only one month in to retirement, so I am tracking spending against budget much more religiously this year than is typical for me...but so far it's been good news on that front.

The part I found most interesting - like you I calculated whether I was ready a hundred different ways, had spreadsheets calculating expenses and investments that took me to 110 years old... and generally obsessesed over the planning - until the day I announced my retirement date. Magically, once the decision was made and I committed to it, my interest in tweaking the spreadsheet yet again just evaporated. I gave 4 months notice, and I think I opened the spreadhseet maybe once in that period...and I haven't run Firecalc at all since then.

So my experience is, I no longer obsess about readiness. So far I am not too worried about spending ... But suspect I'll be paying a little bit of attention to that for the next year or two.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Emphasis on "potential". My stash did not live up to its potential recently.
Nor did mine

Of course, I'm thinking of the 15 years between now and when I (hopefully) start a substantial monthly stream of SS payments at 70.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Wasn't there a TV ad by a stock brokerage which said "The market goes up, you make money... The market goes down, you make money..."?

I guess nobody here has money with that broker.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

For the retired folks

I worried about having enough almost every day of the last five years I was working - was constantly looking at investments, calculators and tweaking spreadsheets. I pulled the trigger 1 & 1/2 years earlier than planned and have been retired for almost three months. DH is still working, but I was the high wage earner. I've looked at the spreadsheet maybe 2x and our investment balances maybe 3x. I was strangely calm during the recent decline in stocks. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to spend money (other than pay bills). That may change next year 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
So my question is once you retire for awhile, does this excessive worry about finances all the time go away? I sure would hope to relax once I can see our plan working.
I found it difficult going from "portfolio accumulation" mode to "withdrawal" mode. Gradually, I'm getting used to it and am even starting to like it. But for me, it is a slow process.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I worried about having enough almost every day of the last five years I was working - was constantly looking at investments, calculators and tweaking spreadsheets. I pulled the trigger 1 & 1/2 years earlier than planned and have been retired for almost three months. DH is still working, but I was the high wage earner. I've looked at the spreadsheet maybe 2x and our investment balances maybe 3x. I was strangely calm during the recent decline in stocks. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to spend money (other than pay bills). That may change next year ��

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
+1

I have also been much more calm, in the presence of market volatility, after pulling the trigger and ER'ing compared to when I was working.

I think it has to do with the threat of a major market correction putting off my ER for years while working, which now is no longer the same threat.

An unexpected, yet pleasant result in my case (the post-ER calmness that is).

-gauss