Join Early Retirement Today

For your quick reading pleasure
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For your quick reading pleasure

Live Longer And Prosper | Big Questions Online

Interesting premise - I seem to remember Nords mentioned Marc Freedman and his book Encore in another thread. This particular author considers the ideas in Encore valid, but the assumptions regarding the resources and means of resources incorrect - i.e. one must continue working into their 80s or so - notice the comment about the economics of the situation.

The Longevity Dividend - Forbes.com

is another article on living/working longer - Glenn Reynolds is one prolific blogger. I live in Europe and notice that's he's posting on his blog at 0230 his time....(0830 my time).

I don't know if I truly agree with the above articles. I haven't read Mr Freedman's book (not available at my library yet), so I don't know what his contention is regarding economic remuneration for one's work after 'retirement.' I do realize that one needs something to 'drive' them forward to live a fulfilling life - it's just being able to determine what you think is fulfilling versus someone else - i.e. you spend your time on what's important to you and not on amassing a barter mechansim for your time (don't know if that's the right terminology - I mean exchanging your time for money which is used later on to acquire things or experiences).

However, on a macro perspective, they are probably correct - just for the sheer survivability of most people in the US (and in some other countries) in that they haven't learned to 'save' their barter mechanism for the future over a long period of time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a couple of problems with these. Firstly, it assumes retirement is society's problem. It is exactly that mentality that got us in this SS/Pension mess to begin with. Instead of individuals taking care of themselves, the rugged individualism America is based on, society now becomes the caretaker of our lives. Get a job, pay a little into a fund and when you reach a magical age, they'll pay you until you die, no winners, no losers, everyone is treated fairly, except there's a catch. You do it by their rules, on their schedule and they decide how much you get. For the record, I receive a pension.

Second, both articles assume that work is the end, not the means. That without work we wither and die. True, if you turn into a couch potato that might happen, but you don't have to continue to earn paycheck to continue to be challenged, engaged and learning. They also both make the incorrect assumption that our careers will continue to be fulfilling and exciting, if they ever were. I doubt that woman that settled for a waitressing job to support a family or that man that went into the family business because it was expected of him would like the idea of continuing that for an additional 20 years. Do we just seamlessly transition into a new career that can sustain our lifestyle? Charted accountant one day, stockbroker the next? Not likely.

Lastly, what would this do to the economy? Right now most of us are retired in one way or another by about 70, probably half by 60-65. We leave, college kids get our jobs. Suddenly we all keep working until 80-85? A whole generation with nowhere to go. You think a lot of young adult live with mom and dad now?

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW dragged me out to see "Eat, Pray, Love," which I don't recommend (slow). But it does have a good section in Italy where the locals advise the protagonist that she needs to embrace "Il dolce far niente", i.e, the sweetness of doing nothing. You do need to be comfortable in your own skin to do so.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you really get back aways and view this from a cosmological perspective: we evolved over billions of years from generations of stars and supernova explosions that created the elements that are in our bodies and all around us. So maybe we shouldn't take ourselves or our present world too seriously. It's all going to change eventually anyway and no person now on Earth will be remembered eventually. When I think this I find it liberating.

BTW, when I get around to it I'll be mentioning the book Stardust in another thread.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Economics 101: We sell our time to get money to buy stuff.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
If you really get back aways and view this from a cosmological perspective: we evolved over billions of years from generations of stars and supernova explosions that created the elements that are in our bodies and all around us. So maybe we shouldn't take ourselves or our present world too seriously. It's all going to change eventually anyway and no person now on Earth will be remembered eventually. When I think this I find it liberating.

BTW, when I get around to it I'll be mentioning the book Stardust in another thread.

"I may be a single drop of rain"

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote