Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were at cabin over thanksgiving (that is going to be the north end of our snow birding plan). We had always talked about staying north until Christmas and then going south.

It was windy and in the 20's at cabin, we both looked at each other and said we may be moving that "go south" time up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Down to -10 or 15 here on Thursday. Next several days is supposedly no highs over 25 and lows below zero.
We are unseasonably warm at 60 today, but heading your direction in 2 days. Living in the Midwest I actually don't mind colder temperatures. What I can't stand is the yo- yo of them. It took me about a week last week to adjust to 40 degree temp. Now it's back to 60 which feels like shorts weather. But in summer 60 feels like pants weather. So when it gets to 25 this weekend, it's going to feel like zero to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #23

Our 10 day forecast keeps us a little above 0 for lows, nothing above freezing for a high. Might get me to change the house heating routine though. I usually burn wood through the 4 months or so when it's the coldest....just use the furnace to help get the house heat up (gas bills about $35 a month last year). But our water pipes run to the back of the house through the attic, and so does our furnace ducts......might run the furnace a bit more when it gets down closer to 0 to make sure the pipes stay good.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All-time low temperatures for your state... the date, and the town where it was recorded here:
Record Lowest Temperatures by State | Infoplease.com

My memory says Essex Juntion Vermont, 1968.... -36F degrees. I was a district manager, on the road, and staying at the local motel. Did the right thing... took the battery out of the car so I could start it in the morning... Inside, on a mat, by the door...
Next morning... Battery was frozen solid.
Folowing day... Burlington VT... Howard Johnson Motel... 8AM... 60 cars in the parking lot... 3 started.

Klondike Derby... Saratoga NY 1975 ... tent... 0 F... Midnight... left the tents, packed up the kids and drove home. Discretion... The better part of Valor.

s/b 50 today... off to camp to chop up the big tree that fell on the house during the tornado day 2 weeks ago.
last warm day...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #25

If you like variety, try North Texas. We should see about a -50 decline between todays high and Friday morning.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I do remember -27 in Chicago in I think end of January 1982? That point in January is always the coldest here, it seems.

I will always take hot and humid over subfreezing, especially a long stretch without a glint of sunshine like now. That unrelenting grayness bothers me more than the cold.

But in less than three weeks the days will be getting longer again!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #27

If it'sunder 40, i'm miserable. I stuck around Wisconsin for Thanksgiving with family but i'm now on my way to Florida for the winter.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #28

Here is this weeks forecast for my area.
  • Wednesday Widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow. Cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around 4. Wind chill values as low as -20. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Wednesday Night Patchy blowing snow before 3am. Cloudy, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -25. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
  • Thursday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -3. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
  • Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -17.
  • Friday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -5.
  • Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -18.
  • Saturday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -5.
  • Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -15.
  • Sunday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 2.
  • Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -10.
  • Monday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 0.
Normal for this time of year.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Crazy north Texas weather...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
gone traveling

I recently rebuilt my fireplace and put in an EPA wood burning insert. Gonna be between -7 and 10 F for the next few days. Wood is stacked on the porch and all is well.

I was a Scoutmaster for a few years and my least favorite "tradition" was called The Klondike. A bunch of troops would head up into the mountains in February to camp out in tents. I didn't need to open the cooler and find frozen burritos to know that it was just a stupid idea.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in Edmonton, AB, Canada once when the temp was -40.....pick whichever scale you prefer, as -40 is where they cross!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #32

I am totally wimpy about the weather - I admit it. But, I'll tell you, I'm seriously hoping for some "bad" weather - rain, show, I'll take it. We are 20% of normal re: rainfall for 2013 here in No. Cal.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I recently rebuilt my fireplace and put in an EPA wood burning insert. Gonna be between -7 and 10 F for the next few days. Wood is stacked on the porch and all is well.

I was a Scoutmaster for a few years and my least favorite "tradition" was called The Klondike. A bunch of troops would head up into the mountains in February to camp out in tents. I didn't need to open the cooler and find frozen burritos to know that it was just a stupid idea.
Isn't Boy Scout Week in February? We used to set up a "model" camp in a vacant lot (since absconded for a "city hall") for Scout Week. I remember camping in the snow once, circa 1967 or so, but it was NOT below zero. Cold enough, though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

It's been -22 F a couple of times out here. I've worked outside at -15, those seven degrees make a difference. I remember reading about the 30-30-30 rule. At -30 F, 30 mile an hour wind, exposed flesh freezes in 30 seconds. Not good.
MRG
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #35

I mentioned earlier that I grew up in Montana. I regularly tent camped below freezing. Coldest was -25. To be clear, that was the high for the day.

To this day I call anything under 0 BrrShit weather. As in Brrr. Sh!t its cold out.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post

When I was a Scout we camped once a month year round in upstate NY. You learn quickly how to deal with cold temperatures.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today in shorts. But last week no golf due to cold windy weather. I'm in central MS but the weather can fluctuate a lot this time of the year.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #38

Whoo hoo, warm weather (for here). Got my truck cleaned up and plan a motorcycle ride tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panhandle_weather.JPG (59.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
When I was a Scout we camped once a month year round in upstate NY. You learn quickly how to deal with cold temperatures.
Might be the same place I went to -- Sanita Hills. They had cabins (no insulation) which we used when we could, but otherwise we were just in tents. My left ear is still super sensitive to cold since I got it frostbitten during a Sunday morning hike there.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

They played football in Cincinnati at -9 in 1982. The Bengals defense wore short sleeves.