Forecast is minus (-20) Below Zero. Cold enough?

I do remember -27 in Chicago in I think end of January 1982? That point in January is always the coldest here, it seems.

I will always take hot and humid over subfreezing, especially a long stretch without a glint of sunshine like now. That unrelenting grayness bothers me more than the cold.

But in less than three weeks the days will be getting longer again!

If it'sunder 40, i'm miserable. I stuck around Wisconsin for Thanksgiving with family but i'm now on my way to Florida for the winter.

Here is this weeks forecast for my area.

• Wednesday Widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow. Cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around 4. Wind chill values as low as -20. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Wednesday Night Patchy blowing snow before 3am. Cloudy, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -25. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
  • Thursday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -3. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
  • Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -17.
  • Friday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -5.
  • Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -18.
  • Saturday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -5.
  • Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -15.
  • Sunday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 2.
  • Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -10.
  • Monday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 0.
Normal for this time of year.

Crazy north Texas weather...

7day.jpg

I recently rebuilt my fireplace and put in an EPA wood burning insert. Gonna be between -7 and 10 F for the next few days. Wood is stacked on the porch and all is well.

I was a Scoutmaster for a few years and my least favorite "tradition" was called The Klondike. A bunch of troops would head up into the mountains in February to camp out in tents. I didn't need to open the cooler and find frozen burritos to know that it was just a stupid idea.

I was in Edmonton, AB, Canada once when the temp was -40.....pick whichever scale you prefer, as -40 is where they cross!

I am totally wimpy about the weather - I admit it. But, I'll tell you, I'm seriously hoping for some "bad" weather - rain, show, I'll take it. We are 20% of normal re: rainfall for 2013 here in No. Cal.

I recently rebuilt my fireplace and put in an EPA wood burning insert. Gonna be between -7 and 10 F for the next few days. Wood is stacked on the porch and all is well.

I was a Scoutmaster for a few years and my least favorite "tradition" was called The Klondike. A bunch of troops would head up into the mountains in February to camp out in tents. I didn't need to open the cooler and find frozen burritos to know that it was just a stupid idea.

Isn't Boy Scout Week in February? We used to set up a "model" camp in a vacant lot (since absconded for a "city hall") for Scout Week. I remember camping in the snow once, circa 1967 or so, but it was NOT below zero. Cold enough, though...

It's been -22 F a couple of times out here. I've worked outside at -15, those seven degrees make a difference. I remember reading about the 30-30-30 rule. At -30 F, 30 mile an hour wind, exposed flesh freezes in 30 seconds. Not good.
MRG

I mentioned earlier that I grew up in Montana. I regularly tent camped below freezing. Coldest was -25. To be clear, that was the high for the day.

To this day I call anything under 0 BrrShit weather. As in Brrr. Sh!t its cold out.

When I was a Scout we camped once a month year round in upstate NY. You learn quickly how to deal with cold temperatures.

Played golf today in shorts. But last week no golf due to cold windy weather. I'm in central MS but the weather can fluctuate a lot this time of the year.

Whoo hoo, warm weather (for here). Got my truck cleaned up and plan a motorcycle ride tomorrow.

Attachments

• panhandle_weather.JPG
    panhandle_weather.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
When I was a Scout we camped once a month year round in upstate NY. You learn quickly how to deal with cold temperatures.

Might be the same place I went to -- Sanita Hills. They had cabins (no insulation) which we used when we could, but otherwise we were just in tents. My left ear is still super sensitive to cold since I got it frostbitten during a Sunday morning hike there.

They played football in Cincinnati at -9 in 1982. The Bengals defense wore short sleeves.

s_topTEMP-7945.jpeg

Above is the football field at my high school in Havre, Montana. Notice how small the bleachers are. That is because most people use the tiered parking behind the bleachers to watch the game. That way they could sit in their heated car, listen to the game on the radio, and watch the action on the field.

I remember a power outage in the middle of a game. No problem. All the folks in the tiered lots turned on their lights and the game went on.

I thought it was normal for cheerleaders to do their cheers in sweats.

Games were frequently played in sub zero temperatures.

Last edited:
Lead-acid batteries have a lower freezing point if they are fully charged; the acidity of the electrolyte goes down when the battery gets discharged. From the Web site of Trojan, a major battery maker:

The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.

My memory says Essex Juntion Vermont, 1968.... -36F degrees. I was a district manager, on the road, and staying at the local motel. Did the right thing... took the battery out of the car so I could start it in the morning... Inside, on a mat, by the door...
Next morning... Battery was frozen solid.
Folowing day... Burlington VT... Howard Johnson Motel... 8AM... 60 cars in the parking lot... 3 started

Minus 33 out my back door here in central Ohio back in the mid 90's one winter. Car started, but you heard metal creaking you normally never heard when driving to work.

Above is the football field at my high school in Havre, Montana. Notice how small the bleachers are. That is because most people use the tiered parking behind the bleachers to watch the game. That way they could sit in their heated car, listen to the game on the radio, and watch the action on the field. I remember a power outage in the middle of a game. No problem. All the folks in the tiered lots turned on their lights and the game went on. I thought it was normal for cheerleaders to do their cheers in sweats. Games were frequently played in sub zero temperatures.

Thanks for sharing the story about the Havre, MT football field Kiem! The photo brought back good memories as we lived in Havre in the eighties when I was a young engineer for Montana Power Co. I recall a nasty Christmas in the mid eighties when the high temp for the day was still -38 below zero and the low was like -45 below. it was so cold we all left our cars or pickups running during midnight mass at St Jude's church with Father McCue. it was so dangerous to be out working in that weather that we always sent two linemen in two separate trucks to handle power outages in case one of the trucks were to quit running. trust me, you won't survive long if you are forced to walk home from the back country. I grew up in North Dakota and experiencing a cold snap where temps never got above zero for 20 days never bothered us as kids. However, that one winter in Havre, MT was truly the coldest winter I had experienced in my life because the wind always blew which drove the wind chills into crazy cold conditions. Loosing power or your heat source became a very serious problem for many in a very short period of time. I don't miss those days at all!

s_topTEMP-7945.jpeg

Above is the football field at my high school in Havre, Montana. Notice how small the bleachers are. That is because most people use the tiered parking behind the bleachers to watch the game. That way they could sit in their heated car, listen to the game on the radio, and watch the action on the field.

I remember a power outage in the middle of a game. No problem. All the folks in the tiered lots turned on their lights and the game went on.

That's pretty cool(no pun intended).

o how cold must it get to drive you south?

It does not take much for me. I am orig. from NY but never got use to the cold.
been south since 1979 and currently in Atlanta and any thing below about
44 is to much for me.

s_topTEMP-7945.jpeg

I noticed the surrounding grasses have all turned brown, but the field is green. Did they spray paint it? Also, makes me wince at the thought of kicking a football at below zero temps:D

Last edited:
I grew up in upstate NY (Adirondacks). We often had 10-30 below...it was all I knew and it really did not bother me - I remember laying on the ground below my first car with a lighter trying to warm up the starter so it would turn over:facepalm:
Now in NorCal anything below 50 is cold! Woke up this morning to 27 degrees...now that is flat out freezing!

Sounds like we were in Havre at about the same time. 1984-90 for me.

Thanks for sharing the story about the Havre, MT football field Kiem! The photo brought back good memories as we lived in Havre in the eighties when I was a young engineer for Montana Power Co. I recall a nasty Christmas in the mid eighties when the high temp for the day was still -38 below zero and the low was like -45 below. it was so cold we all left our cars or pickups running during midnight mass at St Jude's church with Father McCue. it was so dangerous to be out working in that weather that we always sent two linemen in two separate trucks to handle power outages in case one of the trucks were to quit running. trust me, you won't survive long if you are forced to walk home from the back country. I grew up in North Dakota and experiencing a cold snap where temps never got above zero for 20 days never bothered us as kids. However, that one winter in Havre, MT was truly the coldest winter I had experienced in my life because the wind always blew which drove the wind chills into crazy cold conditions. Loosing power or your heat source became a very serious problem for many in a very short period of time. I don't miss those days at all!

I noticed the surrounding grasses have all turned brown, but the field is green. Did they spray paint it? Also, makes me wince at the thought of kicking a football at below zero temps:D

In Havre the native grasses are brown much of the year.

No painting of grass necessary. They just played with a snowy field.

Back
Top Bottom