Forecast is minus (-20) Below Zero. Cold enough?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1388944867.356329.jpg

Honk Honk! The traffic outside was brutal this morning. Time for more coffee!
Glad to have escaped the deep freeze.

Thanks for the warm reminder of -50 below zero! At that temperature, North Dakotan's get out there winter jackets. Ha! Honestly, there were people stranded on the Hwy out of gasoline in their cars. Why would anyone head out in the road without checking your fuel gauge? I believe too many people have been caught in blizzards like this and die from exposure to these dangerous windchills. Normally, there are no problems traveling and living up here as long as you have some common sense.
Here is an excellent article about how to survive if you are stranded in your vehicle. I keep a sleeping bag (and most of the other items on the list in the article) in my vehicle anytime I venture out during the winter.
Survive a Night in Your Car - The Allstate Blog

Last edited:
Here is an excellent article about how to survive if you are stranded in your vehicle. I keep a sleeping bag (and most of the other items on the list in the article) in my vehicle anytime I venture out during the winter.
Survive a Night in Your Car - The Allstate Blog

Great info.

Now I don't feel so silly as I have toliet paper in my emergency kit :LOL:

Looks like I should bring some more water though.

Seasons Trump Warmth....

Picking up the mail

(See the tranquil photo in Post #142--am referring to it here.)

After growing up in Western New York (and waiting--in both mini-skirt and mini-coat-- for the school bus in sub-zero wind chills), I had to leave behind the beautiful seasons when Dad moved the whole family to San Diego Co.

Fast forward 25 years. After living 23 years in No. Cal., 11 of them on the Peninsula so. of San Francisco, DH and I jumped at the chance to move back to the Midwest. DH had gone to college in northern Wisconsin, right on Lake Superior, so cold doesn't really faze him.

This photo reminds me of why we love Ohio. Yeah, we have to dress up to go get the mail. But we love this scenery so much more than the hours of gridlock, when we used to sit on Highway 101. Even though the sun was shining brilliantly, I could sit in my car, on that eight-lane freeway, for 45 minutes just to get to a meeting 5 miles across town. The sun didn't matter, the traffic was so frustrating.

One nice thing about ER is that, here in OH, we can just "stay in" for the day, throw some logs in the fireplace, and pull out our books. Then we can take that lovely stroll to the mailbox.

So quiet and still (after the winds leave).

:)

Last edited:
(See the tranquil photo in Post #142--am referring to it here.)

After growing up in Western New York (and waiting--in both mini-skirt and mini-coat-- for the school bus in sub-zero wind chills), I had to leave behind the beautiful seasons when Dad moved the whole family to San Diego Co.

I looked but didn't see mini-skirts anywhere...

I blame the Winter Olympics. Vancouver four years ago, warm temps; Sochi this year, warm temps.

I think many people (okay, maybe just me) call out global warming just as a little cliche/joke whenever the weather is colder than normal, and are not seriously thinking events like the -20 real temp (never mind the wind chill) expected here tomorrow morning means that much. But damn that is going to be cold.

I understand that, as do most people.
However, it tends to be a sore point simply because there are a number of denialists that seriously put that forth as an argument against AGW.
So when you use the same 'argument' jokingly it reminds many of the 'argument' used seriously.

-18 right now with -43 wind chill temp. St. Paul, MN. Schools and many businesses closed today.

Picking up the mail

This beautiful pic reminds me of when we lived in Ridgefield, CT.

Today it was 16 degrees in North Texas which is very cold for us.

Another layer

I got so cold reading this thread I went and put on another sweatshirt. Our temps only got to minus 7 last night. When it warms up to zero this afternoon, I'll go out and shovel out the driveway.:nonono:

This is day 3 of being inside all day. It's still -15 with a wind chill is still at -35. Fortunately I have my exercise bike, my stereo, and lots of books. Will have to call after 6 pm and see if I have to report for jury duty tomorrow.

DH had gone to college in northern Wisconsin, right on Lake Superior, so cold doesn't really faze him.

He went to Northland? Great school. He's probably accustomed to that Ohio lake-effect snow too.

This beautiful pic reminds me of when we lived in Ridgefield, CT.

Today it was 16 degrees in North Texas which is very cold for us.

We had a similar cold snap in 1982. I was living in Milwaukee at the time and was scheduled to attend a trade show in Atlanta. Boy, I was thrilled to be able to fly down south to escape the icebox.

When I got to Atlanta, though, it was 15 degrees! A couple inches of show had shut the whole city down. Water mains were popping everywhere and store clerks were working in their winter coats. After a couple days I managed to get out of town by hiring a tow truck operator to take me to the airport.

Really pretty image, ronstar, as is the photo you posted in the photography thread of sunrise this morning.

Thanks - At first I thought I wouldn't get any good photo opportunities in this weather, but a lot of snow and -17 degree mornings have made things interesting

Balmy 11 BELOW for today's afternoon high here in Hoosier heartland, with WC's of 35 below.
Safe to scratch Northern Alaska off my list of retirement locales ;)

BTW- Silly to use a warm '14 Winter Olympics in the "global Warming" argument. Sochi was simply a dumb choice. It is one of the few large cities in Russia with a SUBTROPICAL climate! It is a summer resort area with palm trees & lies in plant growth Hardiness Zone 8b/9a, same as San Antonio, TX. Sochi's ave daytime hi in Feb is 47+F.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sochi

-PAXP-deijE.gif
650x366_01041656_rf-150x150.jpg

Wind chill for Sunday night. My home town is in the middle of the -70 bullseye.
And here I was not so happy and we're not even close to the 0 zone.

It's supposed to get down to maybe 15 here in central GA, but then again we are currently camped out in a motorhome!

Going to be cold everywhere tonight and tomorrow, especially up north. Y'all stay warm and safe,

Weatherman in Houston said it's colder here right now than it is in Anchorage, Alaska. It's going to get to around 20 F tonight, but not nearly as cold as way north of here.

Lucky me, I've been summoned for jury duty on Tuesday when it's supposed to be about 20 below. I sincerely hope they settle out of court.

Let's see, jury duty, in North Dakota, in Jan., during a record cold snap.

I think you must have done some really evil things in a previous life.
You have my sympathy and admiration if you actually show up tomorrow.

Let's see, jury duty, in North Dakota, in Jan., during a record cold snap.

I think you must have done some really evil things in a previous life.
You have my sympathy and admiration if you actually show up tomorrow.
They settled out of court. YAY

I will be going out today anyway. It's 2 above and that's no problem at all.

Last edited:
Down to -3 this morning (mid-Atlantic).

Electric out for 2.5 hours last evening. Rolling outages throughout the local electric company service area due to falling trees (quite windy).

Thank goodness we had our backup generator installed last March. Installed 10 months and have recorded 10 outages thus far; some a few minutes - some a few hours.

Best "investment" we've made and almost a necessity for an all electic home (no NG in our area).

When the lights go out, we just count to 20. By that time the 110V circuits come on, followed by sequenced 220V circuits within a few minutes.

DW now thinks I'm a genius even though she could not understand why I wanted to spend the money to install such a "toy" last year :cool: ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom