Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Picking up the mail

Really pretty image, ronstar, as is the photo you posted in the photography thread of sunrise this morning.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
DH had gone to college in northern Wisconsin, right on Lake Superior, so cold doesn't really faze him.
He went to Northland? Great school. He's probably accustomed to that Ohio lake-effect snow too.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This beautiful pic reminds me of when we lived in Ridgefield, CT.

Today it was 16 degrees in North Texas which is very cold for us.
We had a similar cold snap in 1982. I was living in Milwaukee at the time and was scheduled to attend a trade show in Atlanta. Boy, I was thrilled to be able to fly down south to escape the icebox.

When I got to Atlanta, though, it was 15 degrees! A couple inches of show had shut the whole city down. Water mains were popping everywhere and store clerks were working in their winter coats. After a couple days I managed to get out of town by hiring a tow truck operator to take me to the airport.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Really pretty image, ronstar, as is the photo you posted in the photography thread of sunrise this morning.
Thanks - At first I thought I wouldn't get any good photo opportunities in this weather, but a lot of snow and -17 degree mornings have made things interesting
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now that's cold...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartoon.JPG (45.6 KB, 9 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #166

Balmy 11 BELOW for today's afternoon high here in Hoosier heartland, with WC's of 35 below.
Safe to scratch Northern Alaska off my list of retirement locales

BTW- Silly to use a warm '14 Winter Olympics in the "global Warming" argument. Sochi was simply a dumb choice. It is one of the few large cities in Russia with a SUBTROPICAL climate! It is a summer resort area with palm trees & lies in plant growth Hardiness Zone 8b/9a, same as San Antonio, TX. Sochi's ave daytime hi in Feb is 47+F.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sochi
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This beautiful pic reminds me of when we lived in Ridgefield, CT.

Today it was 16 degrees in North Texas which is very cold for us.
Ooooo - I bet it's going to be colder there tonight!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post

Wind chill for Sunday night. My home town is in the middle of the -70 bullseye.
And here I was not so happy and we're not even close to the 0 zone.

It's supposed to get down to maybe 15 here in central GA, but then again we are currently camped out in a motorhome!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #169
Administrator

Going to be cold everywhere tonight and tomorrow, especially up north. Y'all stay warm and safe,
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Weatherman in Houston said it's colder here right now than it is in Anchorage, Alaska. It's going to get to around 20 F tonight, but not nearly as cold as way north of here.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lucky me, I've been summoned for jury duty on Tuesday when it's supposed to be about 20 below. I sincerely hope they settle out of court.
Let's see, jury duty, in North Dakota, in Jan., during a record cold snap.

I think you must have done some really evil things in a previous life.
You have my sympathy and admiration if you actually show up tomorrow.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Let's see, jury duty, in North Dakota, in Jan., during a record cold snap.

I think you must have done some really evil things in a previous life.
You have my sympathy and admiration if you actually show up tomorrow.
They settled out of court. YAY

I will be going out today anyway. It's 2 above and that's no problem at all.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #173
gone traveling

Down to -3 this morning (mid-Atlantic).

Electric out for 2.5 hours last evening. Rolling outages throughout the local electric company service area due to falling trees (quite windy).

Thank goodness we had our backup generator installed last March. Installed 10 months and have recorded 10 outages thus far; some a few minutes - some a few hours.

Best "investment" we've made and almost a necessity for an all electic home (no NG in our area).

When the lights go out, we just count to 20. By that time the 110V circuits come on, followed by sequenced 220V circuits within a few minutes.

DW now thinks I'm a genius even though she could not understand why I wanted to spend the money to install such a "toy" last year ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #174

It got a little weird in Fargo last night.

FARGO MAN ARRESTED FOR CLEARING SNOW WITH FLAMETHROWER | Neighbor ShameNeighbor Shame
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It got a little weird in Fargo last night.
Nights must be really long in Fargo - the article is dated February 18, 2013...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nights must be really long in Fargo - the article is dated February 18, 2013...
I missed the date. The page I found the link on said last night.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Thank goodness we had our backup generator installed last March. Installed 10 months and have recorded 10 outages thus far; some a few minutes - some a few hours.
Wow, that's a lot of outages! Reminds me of my years living in Texas (REW, you can add "frequent electrical outages and brownouts" to your list, at least for College Station). Here on the outskirts of New Orleans I have barely had any outages long enough to make the clocks blink. Well, I suppose we have maybe 0-1 per year, excluding outages due to hurricanes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

I hear you Nodak. I couldn't take it any longer so I gassed up the Eskimo 10" ice auger, bundled up and went fishing today! have not caught any fish yet, but hoping to pull out a pike or walleye. It is a balmy 7 above zero but there is no wind to speak of so I am totally enjoying myself in the outdoors...........got it all to my self! Ha!.
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
As cold as it is in parts of North America right now, they have had record warmth across the globe in Russia, Scandanavia, and nearby areas since at least November.
50ºF/9C this morning in Strasbourg, France - seasonal average calls for freezing temperatures. The coldest clear night we've had all winter so far is 26F, which is nuts. I don't like long hard winters, but I'd be happy to have 2-3 weeks around freezing to kill a few bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
All you have to do to verify that is look at the average dates for first ice on the lakes and ice-off the lakes in the spring, to see that winters have been getting shorter and milder over that time period. Sure, we have an occasional really cold winter (like this one so far), but if you look at the overall trend, it has clearly been toward shorter and milder winters. As someone else said, don't confuse weather with climate.....they are different animals.
When I was a kid in England, the first pro cricket game of the summer started around April 20, and the last was September 5-6. Before, the air was too cold (cricket involves catching a ball very like a baseball with *bare hands*) and after, there was too much dew about. These days, the season starts around April 8 and goes on until September 20.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
When I was a kid in England, the first pro cricket game of the summer started around April 20, and the last was September 5-6. Before, the air was too cold (cricket involves catching a ball very like a baseball with *bare hands*) and after, there was too much dew about. These days, the season starts around April 8 and goes on until September 20.
The extended season gives you time for what four or five traditional cricket games.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote