Forecast is minus (-20) Below Zero. Cold enough?

Thank goodness we had our backup generator installed last March. Installed 10 months and have recorded 10 outages thus far; some a few minutes - some a few hours.

Wow, that's a lot of outages! Reminds me of my years living in Texas (REW, you can add "frequent electrical outages and brownouts" to your list, at least for College Station). Here on the outskirts of New Orleans I have barely had any outages long enough to make the clocks blink. Well, I suppose we have maybe 0-1 per year, excluding outages due to hurricanes.

Last edited:
I hear you Nodak. I couldn't take it any longer so I gassed up the Eskimo 10" ice auger, bundled up and went fishing today! have not caught any fish yet, but hoping to pull out a pike or walleye. It is a balmy 7 above zero but there is no wind to speak of so I am totally enjoying myself in the outdoors...........got it all to my self! Ha!.

As cold as it is in parts of North America right now, they have had record warmth across the globe in Russia, Scandanavia, and nearby areas since at least November.
50ºF/9C this morning in Strasbourg, France - seasonal average calls for freezing temperatures. The coldest clear night we've had all winter so far is 26F, which is nuts. I don't like long hard winters, but I'd be happy to have 2-3 weeks around freezing to kill a few bugs.

All you have to do to verify that is look at the average dates for first ice on the lakes and ice-off the lakes in the spring, to see that winters have been getting shorter and milder over that time period. Sure, we have an occasional really cold winter (like this one so far), but if you look at the overall trend, it has clearly been toward shorter and milder winters. As someone else said, don't confuse weather with climate.....they are different animals.
When I was a kid in England, the first pro cricket game of the summer started around April 20, and the last was September 5-6. Before, the air was too cold (cricket involves catching a ball very like a baseball with *bare hands*) and after, there was too much dew about. These days, the season starts around April 8 and goes on until September 20.

When I was a kid in England, the first pro cricket game of the summer started around April 20, and the last was September 5-6. Before, the air was too cold (cricket involves catching a ball very like a baseball with *bare hands*) and after, there was too much dew about. These days, the season starts around April 8 and goes on until September 20.

The extended season gives you time for what four or five traditional cricket games. :LOL:

Attachments

• 1458480_10152221755590337_1011045431_n.jpg
    1458480_10152221755590337_1011045431_n.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 16
He went to Northland? Great school. He's probably accustomed to that Ohio lake-effect snow too.

Yes, he did go to Northland, working his way through school at Whitecap Mtn. ski resort. Just today he said, "Well, let's see, the lowest temp I saw up there was a -54 degree wind chill." Then he went on casually, "One of my apartments was above a professor's garage. In that one I remember waking up in the morning, and seeing my own breath before I even got out of bed." (italics mine)

Lake effect snow in Ohio? Just an easy day in a Wisconsin winter (in his humble opinion).:rolleyes:

Ha! Ha!

I looked but didn't see mini-skirts anywhere...

Yes, those of us who frequent this board left those behind about four decades ago (when we no longer waited for school buses)! We moved on to ratty jeans, t-shirts, and overalls-- the college uniform.

Certainly warmer on cold days!

:LOL:

What's all this fuss about the cold? It's been between 70 and 80 degrees for almost a month now in Southern California. I spent yesterday at the beach and today in the outdoor swimming pool. If you don't like the cold weather, why do you all live in places that are so cold:confused: :cool:

No Complaints Here!

What's all this fuss about the cold? It's been between 70 and 80 degrees for almost a month now in Southern California. I spent yesterday at the beach and today in the outdoor swimming pool. If you don't like the cold weather, why do you all live in places that are so cold:confused: :cool:

My list would begin with Post #154.

Yes, I loved sunny California for the same reasons everyone else does, and return often to visit family and friends. However, in my 25 years there, it was sad to watch.....

--the orange and avocado groves torn down that had once covered the hills surrounding my parents' home in Escondido. They were replaced with subdivisions and more concrete.......all the way along Hwy. 15/395 to San Diego. Poway, Rancho Bernardo, San Marcos, Vista used to be picturesque small towns nestled in pretty green hills;

--the cost of living become prohibitive for middle class families. I watched my teacher friends struggle, as well as the families of my high school students. For example, kids would bring me their prom catalogues for advice on picking out dresses and tuxes. I'd ask what their parents thought. "Uh, well, I won't see them till next Sunday." This would happen because some students' parents each had to work two jobs to cover the mortgage;

--traffic gridlock: Hwy. 5 and 405 (anytime in LA), same in the Bay Area;

--infiltration of gangs and drugs in the school system. I taught in one of the top districts in the state: however, the state ed. codes prevented administrators from taking serious disciplinary actions against students who threatened the safety and welfare of the student body. I loved the school I left behind, but could no longer tolerate drug deals or fights breaking out in class. (And I was a "strict, old-fashioned school marm type," so those things would happen anywhere else on campus-- NEVER in my class.) When they finally arrived in my class, without serious consequence, I asked my husband to look for a good transfer within his company.

Sorry if I'm blathering on and on. But I invested 20 years of heart and soul into dear California young people. It was very tough to watch them miss out on so much, with class sizes of 38, 30-year-old text books (that I would distribute with rubber bands), and stoned peers disrupting their learning.

Again, I was in an affluent suburban district noted for outstanding results. But our hands were often tied by lack of school funding and a lenient ed code.

Here in Ohio, school funding is much better (though that is hotly debated statewide, due to their un-Constitutional approach dependent on local tax levies). Working in several districts here, I never had to deal with the teaching conditions I faced in CA.

Sorry if this seems to hijack the thread. My best answer to your question is post #154. DH and I chose the Ohio climate on purpose; we preferred it to the quality of life challenges we faced there.

We North Dakotans may feel our winters are the worst because of the winds that accompany the cold temperatures, but our Canadian neighbors to the north in Manitoba and Saskatchewan have it worse. The weather seems warmer because they report their temperatures in degrees Celsius instead of Ferenhite. Ha! In response to a couple threads on why we like it here, I like it because this is were my family is and I like the culture and the uncrowned outdoors. If you want peace and quiet and lower crime rates, first class hunting and fishing, birding, cross country skiing or snow mobiling; then this is the place to live in the winter. I lived in the western mountains of Montana for a number of years and enjoyed them as well. Living here in North Dakota makes you appreciate Summer all the more. Maybe that is why God made our hours of daylight longer so we can squeeze in more warmth. ha! :).

The forecast for this week is the high temps to not get past single digits with lows of -14 and -15 below by this coming Thursday and Friday. March will be coming in like a Lion this year!

Finally have temps above zero! Life is good! We have very little snow on the ground in central North Dakota, but March came in like a Lion, Saturday March 1st it was -15 below with -40 below wind chills. The high temperature was -6 below. Needless to say, most of us are sick of winter already!

Finally have temps above zero! Life is good! We have very little snow on the ground in central North Dakota, but March came in like a Lion, Saturday March 1st it was -15 below with -40 below wind chills. The high temperature was -6 below. Needless to say, most of us are sick of winter already!

Fear not, I hear from friends in Minot that summer is on the calendar for the first week in July.

Back
Top Bottom