Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was still working I used to judge how cold it was by how much frost was on my beard and moustache by the end of the 400 foot walk from the parking lot to the PAR building.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Picking up the mail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01052013 driveway4.jpg (828.5 KB, 19 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post

Wind chill for Sunday night. My home town is in the middle of the -70 bullseye.

Insane!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
Will Al Gores' presentation on Global Warming be cancelled along with all the school closures in the whole state of Minnesota? Ha!Just remember, don't stick your tongue on the flag pole!
Funny, I've visited with relatives in eastern North Dakota (Jamestown area) who are convinced that climate change is evident in their part of the state, mainly in an elevated ground water table. A lot of rural roads that were used for generations have become impassable because of rising slough (lake) levels. And then there's Devil's Lake, which has a big flooding problem. My cousins, men in their 50s, are lifelong farmers, so they take note of such things.

From a University of North Dakota/U of Arkansas study on flooding in the Red River Valley:
"In the Red River Valley, average annual ground-surface temperature has increased 2.5 °C and the average annual air temperature has increased 2 °C during the past century (Gosnold et al., 1997). Precipitation dropped from 1890 until the mid-1930s and has been rising since 1950 (Groisman and Easterling, 1994). The effects of changing climate can be seen in the flood record since 1882 which suggest close coupling of flood dynamics and climate parameters (especially precipitation). For example, within the historical record, it is apparent that between 1882 and 1950, a severe flood (gage level >12.2 m) occurred approximately once every 6 years at Grand Forks-East Grand Forks. This corresponds to the interval of generally diminishing precipitation from 1890 until the mid-1930’s (Groisman and Easterling, 1994). Since 1950, however, Grand Forks has experienced a severe flood once every 3 years with an increasing trend toward greater frequency of large-scale flooding (Bluemle, 1997)."
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Folks, bear in mind that weather is what happened last week. Climate is what happened last century.

Last time I checked, winter comes every year. People who are surprised by this really do need to get out more.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #146

Quote:
Will Al Gores' presentation on Global Warming be cancelled along with all the school closures in the whole state of Minnesota?
As cold as it is in parts of North America right now, they have had record warmth across the globe in Russia, Scandanavia, and nearby areas since at least November.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Funny, I've visited with relatives in eastern North Dakota (Jamestown area) who are convinced that climate change is evident in their part of the state."
I have no interest in starting an argument about climate change, but here in northern Michigan, there is no doubt that the climate has been changing (warming) for at least the last 2-3 decades, and probably longer. All you have to do to verify that is look at the average dates for first ice on the lakes and ice-off the lakes in the spring, to see that winters have been getting shorter and milder over that time period. Sure, we have an occasional really cold winter (like this one so far), but if you look at the overall trend, it has clearly been toward shorter and milder winters. As someone else said, don't confuse weather with climate.....they are different animals.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post

As cold as it is in parts of North America right now, they have had record warmth across the globe in Russia, Scandinavia, and nearby areas since at least November.
I blame the Winter Olympics. Vancouver four years ago, warm temps; Sochi this year, warm temps.

I think many people (okay, maybe just me) call out global warming just as a little cliche/joke whenever the weather is colder than normal, and are not seriously thinking events like the -20 real temp (never mind the wind chill) expected here tomorrow morning means that much. But damn that is going to be cold.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #149

Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #150

North Dakota Weather report. Caution...inappropriate language!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1388944867.356329.jpg

Honk Honk! The traffic outside was brutal this morning. Time for more coffee!
Glad to have escaped the deep freeze.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the warm reminder of -50 below zero! At that temperature, North Dakotan's get out there winter jackets. Ha! Honestly, there were people stranded on the Hwy out of gasoline in their cars. Why would anyone head out in the road without checking your fuel gauge? I believe too many people have been caught in blizzards like this and die from exposure to these dangerous windchills. Normally, there are no problems traveling and living up here as long as you have some common sense.
Here is an excellent article about how to survive if you are stranded in your vehicle. I keep a sleeping bag (and most of the other items on the list in the article) in my vehicle anytime I venture out during the winter.
Survive a Night in Your Car - The Allstate Blog
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Here is an excellent article about how to survive if you are stranded in your vehicle. I keep a sleeping bag (and most of the other items on the list in the article) in my vehicle anytime I venture out during the winter.
Survive a Night in Your Car - The Allstate Blog
Great info.

Now I don't feel so silly as I have toliet paper in my emergency kit

Looks like I should bring some more water though.
Seasons Trump Warmth....
Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seasons Trump Warmth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Picking up the mail

(See the tranquil photo in Post #142--am referring to it here.)

After growing up in Western New York (and waiting--in both mini-skirt and mini-coat-- for the school bus in sub-zero wind chills), I had to leave behind the beautiful seasons when Dad moved the whole family to San Diego Co.

Fast forward 25 years. After living 23 years in No. Cal., 11 of them on the Peninsula so. of San Francisco, DH and I jumped at the chance to move back to the Midwest. DH had gone to college in northern Wisconsin, right on Lake Superior, so cold doesn't really faze him.

This photo reminds me of why we love Ohio. Yeah, we have to dress up to go get the mail. But we love this scenery so much more than the hours of gridlock, when we used to sit on Highway 101. Even though the sun was shining brilliantly, I could sit in my car, on that eight-lane freeway, for 45 minutes just to get to a meeting 5 miles across town. The sun didn't matter, the traffic was so frustrating.

One nice thing about ER is that, here in OH, we can just "stay in" for the day, throw some logs in the fireplace, and pull out our books. Then we can take that lovely stroll to the mailbox.

So quiet and still (after the winds leave).

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #155
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
(See the tranquil photo in Post #142--am referring to it here.)

After growing up in Western New York (and waiting--in both mini-skirt and mini-coat-- for the school bus in sub-zero wind chills), I had to leave behind the beautiful seasons when Dad moved the whole family to San Diego Co.
I looked but didn't see mini-skirts anywhere...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I blame the Winter Olympics. Vancouver four years ago, warm temps; Sochi this year, warm temps.

I think many people (okay, maybe just me) call out global warming just as a little cliche/joke whenever the weather is colder than normal, and are not seriously thinking events like the -20 real temp (never mind the wind chill) expected here tomorrow morning means that much. But damn that is going to be cold.
I understand that, as do most people.
However, it tends to be a sore point simply because there are a number of denialists that seriously put that forth as an argument against AGW.
So when you use the same 'argument' jokingly it reminds many of the 'argument' used seriously.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #157

-18 right now with -43 wind chill temp. St. Paul, MN. Schools and many businesses closed today.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #158
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Picking up the mail
This beautiful pic reminds me of when we lived in Ridgefield, CT.

Today it was 16 degrees in North Texas which is very cold for us.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Another layer
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Another layer

I got so cold reading this thread I went and put on another sweatshirt. Our temps only got to minus 7 last night. When it warms up to zero this afternoon, I'll go out and shovel out the driveway.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #160

This is day 3 of being inside all day. It's still -15 with a wind chill is still at -35. Fortunately I have my exercise bike, my stereo, and lots of books. Will have to call after 6 pm and see if I have to report for jury duty tomorrow.