Forgetting

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Sometimes I think about how much I have forgotten.

-All those computer systems and code
-All that math (BA and a year towards MA)
-Office symbols
-Names/faces/...

And I don't care.

I think it is to be expected that we forget things that are no longer relevant to our lives. I think the only reason to retain information of this sort would be if you had a continuing interest in keeping up with these things.

I hate forgetting things:
At one time I could speak French. No more.
All that math and physics. Poof.

What really annoys me though is remembering all those things that I would prefer to forget.

I forget a lot of things.

Sometimes old forgotten incidents suddenly occur to me - - things that I haven't even thought of for half a century or more. Today, somehow I dredged up a memory of someone I hadn't thought of even once since 1960 (a cute boy that didn't dare date me because my big brothers were so protective and I was only twelve).

So, do these balance out? More and more memories fading daily, but other memories popping up exuberantly and uncontrollably, like bubbles in ginger ale. :LOL:

I forgot the combination to the computer room door! And I set it! Of course there is no longer a computer room there.
And Russian. Both reading and speaking.
And other stuff too, I forget what.

I have a theory.

Every year I lose more memory.

Every year computers get more and more memory.

I think as I sit in front of my computer that it is sucking my memory from me, building up to the day when the machines take over the world :nonono:

I can't remember what I've forgotten....
What was the topic again?

What really annoys me though is remembering all those things that I would prefer to forget.
I can still draw a cross-section of the reactor compartment, labeled and showing the relative heights of all major components... on a submarine that was decommissioned in 1989.

There's a lot more where that came from. But, as my spouse reminds me, at least I'm not bolting upright in the middle of the night screaming these things out in my sleep anymore.

I can also remember watching my daughter being born, so at least the important things are still written to whatever hard drive capacity I have left. Now if I could only remember what I did with the backups...

Forgotten ... that makes me wonder whether one has truly forgotten the memory or has it just been pushed back there and buried under the current store of short and longer term memory items? Is there just a lot more for us to deal with as we age and accumulate memories? Maybe it was that glass of wine each day for several decades?

I'm sure a lot of research has been done on memory and some of it is even legitimate.

Maybe it was that glass of wine each day for several decades?

Nah, never drank a glass of wine (or anything alcoholic) each day.

My own (unproven) hypothesis is that I forget things because I just don't think they are that important - - I just don't care as much as I would like to think I care.

Things I've forgotten include:

- how to walk in really high heels
- doing bond amortizations
- what my father's voice sounded like
- playing the piano

Yeah, we all forget lots of things. Some are better forgotten and others are sad to lose. My theory is as we only have so much read only memory, so some memories have to go to make space for new ones.

Looks like you suddenly recalled how to put on panty hose...:)

I thought about it and said to myself "who can't put on panty hose?" Bet you could do it REWahoo;) Oh, and before you reply, remember this thread is useless without pictures!

I thought about it and said to myself "who can't put on panty hose?" Bet you could do it REWahoo;) Oh, and before you reply, remember this thread is useless without pictures!
OK, if you insist - wearing 'mantyhose', but I don't care for them. Makes the hair on my legs feel weird after taking them off...

Attachments

• mantyhose.jpg
    mantyhose.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 186
Oh...that's just wrong....:blink:

I take full responsibility since I insisted on pictures. Hopefully, this image will be forgotten soon. This exchange did, however, spark a long lost memory involving DH and pantyhose. Best not to share here though:angel:

I take full responsibility since I insisted on pictures. Hopefully, this image will be forgotten soon. This exchange did, however, spark a long lost memory involving DH and pantyhose. Best not to share here though:angel:
:D......ah...c'mon.....;)

Ooooh...there is one thing I never forgot back in the day....taking my birth control pills! :LOL:

This my DW on many a day

Attachments

• Memory Loss.JPG
    Memory Loss.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
I used to know all sorts of mathmetical/engineering formulas - and understand when and how to apply them. Go figure! And that was only 15-20 years ago! Heck, I had to google circumference formulas for the area of a table I am redoing to make sure I bought enough tile! LOL Like many have said, maybe we are just replacing it with new info. In the big scheme of things - does it really matter?

I have a theory that when I tell others I always catch a lot of grief. It came about this way:

Up until I was in my mid forties, I was able to remember everything no matter how trivial. It was like a photographic memory but not that intense. Everything I had ever read or seen was etched in my mind and I was able to recall it with remarkable accuracy.

Then one day (and I remember it vividly), I was unable to recall the punch line to a old joke I was being told. I was stunned. The only explanation that I could come up with, at the time, was that my brain had filled up and that in order to make room for new knowledge to "stick," I had to delete something. My mind, then, when given new data would automatically go through all my memories and delete the least likely to be needed again or that which could be easily looked up... in order to "make room."

Every time I tell this (and I still believe in it today), I get not just laughed at but ridiculed for believing such nonsense.

Of course, the fact that it mirrors the behavior of computers -- disk drives fill up regularly... and unexpectedly -- makes it much more difficulty (for me) to discount.

Anyway, since that time, I have been content knowing that I can remember exactly where I can get the data I am trying to remember. An example is that I can remember exactly where an individual image, of 10s of thousands, which are spread over ten external hard drives can be found. Or in which of my many books a particular quote is located.

Back
Top Bottom