Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Going back as a consultant would defeat the purpose of retiring, especially since I don't need their money and I hated it there! I just thought it was kind of funny and annoying how they assumed I'd want to keep working for them after I specifically quit, since I wasn't "doing anything else anyway."
Got it. Enjoy your retirement! At the very least, this little episode should serve as a readily-available reminder of why you jumped clear of the wreck.
("since you're not doing anything else anyway" = "what do you DO all day?")

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Boy that's a scene right out of the movie "About Scmidt"

If you haven't seen it - It's a wonderful film for a FIREee.
Thanks - added it to my Netflix queue.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

You did every thing you could do to leave on good terms. You documented your job, trained others, so there is no need to feel you owe them anything. Just ignore them at this point.

Enjoy your retirement.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You should write to Scott Adams (Dilbert). I would think he had heard it all but your experience has to go beyond even that.
Oh God, that was nothing... they were utter and complete boneheads every day with every decision they made. This was the megacorp that bought my little software company, although the division they put it under had never run a software operation before, and they were all 30+ years with the company and certainly didn't want to be told how to run things from some newcomer young punk like me! Daily hilarity and profound bewilderment ensued as they "learned from their mistakes" the hard way!

And that's all in the past now!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like your boss was playing CYA so if you would have signed it and he asked you a question, you couldn't come back with a bill for your time. Good riddance! Enjoy your life!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

cut the hours at least in half, double or even triple the proposed per hour rate, and amend there clause 'to except any assignment' to 'refuse any assignment', then send it back to them. You are not an independent contractor and you have the right to work, and charge anything you like.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
cut the hours at least in half, double or even triple the proposed per hour rate, and amend there clause 'to except any assignment' to 'refuse any assignment', then send it back to them. You are not an independent contractor and you have the right to work, and charge anything you like.
Except I'm retired! That means I don't work! No work! No meetings, no emails, no business cases, no presentations, no invoices, no nothing! I'm done!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Except I'm retired! That means I don't work! No work! No meetings, no emails, no business cases, no presentations, no invoices, no nothing! I'm done!
Congratulations on your retirement. Isn't it nice to KNOW the hell you went through there is over?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #29

Then I think you just answered you question. Don't answer any emails, or phone calls.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You did every thing you could do to leave on good terms. You documented your job, trained others, so there is no need to feel you owe them anything. Just ignore them at this point.

Enjoy your retirement.
DITTO!

You were extremely conscientious in how you exited the company. A year of training is incredible and well beyond the call of duty. You can ignore them with a clean conscience. If they call or email and you have a ready answer with minimal effort - fine. But if they try to suck you in to any kind of commitment - IT'S NOT YOUR PROBLEM - you are under no obligation.

Sounds to me like these strong arm tactics are an attempt to force you to commit to the company. But they have no teeth! It's all bark.

Audrey
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I told the contracting person they misunderstood, I said I'd just answer a question here and there. They said I can't do that, I have to agree to the non-disclosure and non-compete and carry insurance and agree to be tasked with things and this and that.
Oh, this made my day!!

I'm so glad you adjusted their reality!!

Aren't bookstores fun?

ta,
mew
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

You sir sound like you are ready for retirement. Congratulations.

Still I'd be tempted tell the contract guy. Sure I'll sign your contract providing you add a zero to my hourly rate... Or couldn't you even work there at 10x your pay?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #33

See, this whole thread demonstrates the beauty of being FI, whether you actually retire or not. Suddenly the "boss" and the employer no longer have all the leverage...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow great post these jokers are totally out of control. Pretty easy to see why you wanted out.

Two months notice with good coaching and recordkeeping on the way out is certainly sporting on your part.

The responses that followed your post were all so good I had trouble deciding which was best.

If you're never going to work again I would not reply to anyone in this company on anything for fear these guys would come after me (they seem a bit deranged).

If you think you might want some more money at some point I would counter offer their consultant contract starting at triple your old rate of pay and anything putting obligations on you (specifically the noncompete) as a deal breaker "goodbye and good luck".
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #35

I love your stand, Kabekew! That is fantastic. The no-leverage feeling is such a great one! Even for aspiring FIREes like myself, knowing that we can tell our bosses to shove it is so liberating!
But I'd have to get another job...and YOU DON'T! YAY!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #36

Quote:
I had given my boss two months notice, though he ignored it until last Thursday when he assigned me a three month long project and told me I had to finish it before I could leave (he wasn't kidding, either... just one of those jerks).
What is he smoking?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's crazy. It would be one thing if they merely asked you if you'd consider staying there for a while longer, doing contractor/consulting work at the going rate. It's quite another to play this game.
Absolutely. This is one of the most bizarre stories I have heard in quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
If you let them bully you into signing a contract against your will, imagine how you will be treated after the contract is signed.
EXACTLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Doing work for them as a consultant at the same hourly rate as when you were an employee would be highly unusual. They are giving you no benefits at this point. I'd guess 25% - 40% more than your previous rate would be about right. You DO want to wean them away from you, right? And you DON'T want to be doing mind-numbing admin duties, right? The best way to make those things happen is with an hourly rate that appropriately values your experience.
In the circumstances, I'd guess 300%-500% more than your previous rate would be about right.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Would you go back on a limited basis for 20x your former hourly rate? We're all whores, it's just a matter of negotiating the price...

Were I in your shoes, I'd privately email or speak with one or two friendly coworkers on the team/in the division and let them know if they ever want to send you a quick email or phone call, up to 30 minutes is free. More than that will cost them a beer, and anything over an hour will cost them a lunch or dinner. If you have any friends there anyway.

I'm the "friend" to the half of my department that was laid off. If something comes up on projects the laid off folks worked on, I will privately contact them and get filled in on the project. But that is due to actual friendship, not mere loose coworker-coworker "association".
Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in agreement with all the prior posts, so I won't rehash any of that, but I did want to mention for the OP's benefit (and for anyone else in a similar situation) that there are other options than becoming a contractor. Most companies don't like to do this, but if you have them over a barrel, they will agree to hire you as an hourly W2 employee w/ no minimum hours. You still have to procure your own health insurance, but your taxes will work pretty much like they always did, you don't have to incorporate or setup invoicing, etc. And you still get to name your own hourly rate.

Most companies in this situation will push hard to get to you sign up as a contractor instead, but you can simply tell them that you don't expect to put in enough hours to make it worth your while - it's take it or leave it, and they'll generally cave quickly if you were really a critical cog...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow. Your old boss is a jerk. When I retired I was also asked if I would help out if needed. I worked half time the last 6 months so I knew that my replacement would have no problems. Then the guy that took over my old job wanted to take a vacation and didn't have anyone up to speed to take over for him. I worked a week and charged them 3X my old salary. I'm still on good terms with everyone and still drop in from time to time for lunch, or a ball game. But they have never asked me to work again, and I don't want to.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I don't get most of these posts. The OP said he didn't want to go back at all. And people keep telling him how much he should charge as a contractor! He doesn't want to do that!

Kabekew, no wonder you hated the job with a clueless boss like that. I think you handled it well. They'll survive.